Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Cavs fire coach Scott!?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    My biggest thing with SVG are his issues with superstar players in Orlando and Miami, most notably Dwight and Shaq. I believe those were the two guys who sealed his fate at each successive stop.

There's not doubt he has the goods from an X's and O's standpoint. The big question has always been, can he relate to these high profile players.

Now, with all of that said, I'd welcome him in if he's the choice.
    yeah, but dwight and shaq could be nightmares to coach, i dont think kyrie is close to those two, when it comes to outlandish personalities

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    yeah, but dwight and shaq could be nightmares to coach, i dont think kyrie is close to those two, when it comes to outlandish personalities
    Nah, I'm not even worried about Kyrie despite his minor problems in the last handful of games. Dion would be the guy I would be more concerned about and I do think he is going to be a very good player. Not on the Dwight/Shaq level of dominance, likely, but a guy who will have serious weight within the organization.

I don't want to make it seem like Dion has been a headache, because I don't think he has (as far as I know). He had some issues his freshman year in college and that's pretty much been it.

I'm just tossing out random thoughts as I ponder new coaching options.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

What ever the Cavs do as long as they don't sign Keith Smart they have saved themselves.

Wouldn't mind Bryon Scott at all tho in Seattle/Sacramento.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    What ever the Cavs do as long as they don't sign Keith Smart they have saved themselves.

Wouldn't mind Bryon Scott at all tho in Seattle/Sacramento.
    I still think Byron is a good coach and he's definitely a good guy from everything I've heard. Hope nothing but the best for him.

I haven't heard Keith Smart's name mentioned, thankfully. I don't see that happening.

And Irving is not happy...

He's gonna pull a LeBron eventually, without the "the decision" of course

Brian Shaw might be the hottest commodity, but I'm not sure he's a great fit seeing as he's a triangle guy. Wouldn't make sense with the personnel the Cavs have.

SVG seems like a good fit. His only downfall in the league has been his inability to manage the biggest egos on his team. Seeing as the Cavs don't really have any bad apples, I guess that would be a significant obstacle already cleared.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by alec613
    And Irving is not happy...
    link?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    McMillan
    wasnt he the defensive coach for team usa? that would be a big plus

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Nah, I'm not even worried about Kyrie despite his minor problems in the last handful of games. Dion would be the guy I would be more concerned about and I do think he is going to be a very good player. Not on the Dwight/Shaq level of dominance, likely, but a guy who will have serious weight within the organization.

I don't want to make it seem like Dion has been a headache, because I don't think he has (as far as I know). He had some issues his freshman year in college and that's pretty much been it.

Not worried about Dion. He's a gym rat that lives with Mom. Instead of clubbing or partying he's at Cle Clinic courts and has been rumored to set up special shoot arounds for himself at the Q. On one of the later Byron Scott radio shows he revealed that Dion opened up post all star break and started letting him, other assistants, and a few other players into his world. He's extremely guarded given the kind of upbringing he's had.

hmm. Just read in the ABJ that Dan Gilbert was the driving force behind the firing citing lack of defensive development. Source came from an anon within the cavs org so take it for what its worth.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Dion's proposed summer workout doesn't indicate he's a bad apple. I'm 100% sure that Scott got fired for defense reasons. We're allowed to be bad, we're not allowed to ignore defense.

Not a surprise once again players of his stopped listening to him.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Dion's proposed summer workout doesn't indicate he's a bad apple. I'm 100% sure that Scott got fired for defense reasons. We're allowed to be bad, we're not allowed to ignore defense.

you nailed it. And to be fair, I know Byron wasn't given a full deck with the injuries, youngsters, and tanking, but defense does win championships and his teams were never considered defensive powerhouses.

from Gilbert:

“I fully support the difficult move that was made today. Although we saw progress with young individual player development, we did not see the kind of progress we expected on the team level this past season. We understand it was challenging with the injuries, but when you are at our stage in the building process, you don't only measure team progress in wins and losses."
    Last edited by DukeDelonte13; 04-18-2013 at 02:01 PM.

I feel for Byron.

It's not his fault LeBron split a week after he got hired

It's not his fault his 2 best players are made out of glass

It's not his fault the front office has wasted more top-5 picks than Michael Jordan (Waiters and Tristan are good don't get me wrong, but I still don't think they were top 5 worthy. Top 10-15? Yes. But not top 5)

It's not his fault Cleveland's not exactly a market that draws in big free agents

With that said though, the defense thing killed him and understandably so. I don't blame Scott. I'm upset that they fired him. But I do understand WHY they fired him.