Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Division III G Jack Taylor drops 138 points

No way in hell this happens if I was guarding him. The players on the other team have no respect from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    It sort of reminds me of a high school football coach I read about from the Arkansas area. He never punts, ever. He crunched a giant amount of data and came to the conclusion that it makes more sense for his team to take that extra down every drive and attempt to proceed up the field instead of willfully giving up possession, even if they're within their own 10 yard line. His strategy worked, as his team became state champions. However, even with data and logic to back up his reasons for not punting, there's still folks out there who claim he's an idiot not playing the game as it's intended to be played. I think the resistance to innovation, particularly when it's been proven successful, is short sighted.

Here's an article on the football coach: http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888
    That also played a big part in costing him a state championship in my opinion 5 or 6 years ago. They lost in the state finals by one or two points (think it was something like 46-45 or 47-45) and there were three or four instances where he went for it on 4th and long backed up fairly deep in his own territory and they didn't convert.

Barring what would be a fairly big upset this Friday, his team will be playing for another state championship in a couple of weeks, though. They scored 77 points in the state quarterfinals last week, and have had five other games where they've scored 50+ which is impressive, because in Arkansas once you're ahead by 35+ points in the second half the mercy rule goes into effect and the rest of the game is played with a running clock. I'd have to go back and look, but I'd venture to guess his teams average 40-45 PPG and have multiple 50+ and 60+ point games every year. I know that's not quite the same as a team jacking up 100+ shots a game in basketball because there's high school football teams all around the country doing what this coach does, but his system is still fun to watch.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-21-2012 at 01:13 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

It's incredible what Wisconsin players achieve

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    That also played a big part in costing him a state championship in my opinion 5 or 6 years ago. They lost in the state finals by one or two points (think it was something like 46-45 or 47-45) and there were three or four instances where he went for it on 4th and long backed up fairly deep in his own territory and they didn't convert.

Barring what would be a fairly big upset this Friday, his team will be playing for another state championship in a couple of weeks, though. They scored 77 points in the state quarterfinals last week, and have had five other games where they've scored 50+ which is impressive, because in Arkansas once you're ahead by 35+ points in the second half the mercy rule goes into effect and the rest of the game is played with a running clock.
    Without going insanely deep into this, depending on how the rest of that 46-45 game went early on, I feel it might be possible to argue his system may have been a reason as to why they were in the state finals and so close to victory to begin with.

Of course, I say that with exactly zero knowledge of the game for which you're speaking. I'm just saying, when you've got a strategy and it's established and it works for your team, I think it's not really something you can randomly go against toward the end of a championship game. Perhaps the four available downs is what allowed them to score as much as they did. And perhaps had they punted, the opposing team would have scored anyway. It's not an unbeatable system. It doesn't always work, but it is what it is.

Also, I didn't initially see you'd added more to your post, so I appreciate the additional information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Without going insanely deep into this, depending on how the rest of that 46-45 game went early on, I feel it might be possible to argue his system may have been a reason as to why they were in the state finals and so close to victory to begin with.

Of course, I say that with exactly zero knowledge of the game for which you're speaking. I'm just saying, when you've got a strategy and it's established and it works for your team, I think it's not really something you can randomly go against toward the end of a championship game. Perhaps the four available downs is what allowed them to score as much as they did. And perhaps had they punted, the opposing team would have scored anyway. It's not an unbeatable system. It doesn't always work, but it is what it is.

Also, I didn't initially see you'd added more to your post, so I appreciate the additional information.
    No it was definitely the reason, it just played a role in that particular state championship game in them losing. But the team they lost to had current Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson and they could put up points in a hurry themselves. Just looked it up, and the score was 56-55, so they lost by a point. You could also argue that in that particular game, it wouldn't have mattered if they punted or not, because the team they were playing was probably going to score anyway. But there was at last once or twice where they were backed up pretty far in their own territory, on 4th and long, and I couldn't believe they went for it.

I believe in the state semi-finals last year they jumped out to something like a 30-0 lead in the first quarter before the other team's offense ever took the field, because they recovered 4 or 5 straight onside kicks to start the game. Their coach does some unconventional stuff, but it wins them a ton of games, and they may be getting to repeat as state champs.

They've had a couple or three games this year where they'd come out a little flat, and it'd be something like 14-7 or 21-14 late in the second quarter or early third quarter, then you'd see the final score, and they ended up winning 56-21.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-21-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Short white guys

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    No it was definitely the reason, it just played a role in that particular state championship game in them losing. But the team they lost to had current Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson and they could put up points in a hurry themselves. Just looked it up, and the score was 56-55, so they lost by a point. You could also argue that in that particular game, it wouldn't have mattered if they punted or not, because the team they were playing was probably going to score anyway. But there was at last once or twice where they were backed up pretty far in their own territory, on 4th and long, and I couldn't believe they went for it.

I believe in the state semi-finals last year they jumped out to something like a 30-0 lead in the first quarter before the other team's offense ever took the field, because they recovered 4 or 5 straight onside kicks to start the game. Their coach does some unconventional stuff, but it wins them a ton of games, and they may be getting to repeat as state champs.

They've had a couple or three games this year where they'd come out a little flat, and it'd be something like 14-7 or 21-14 late in the second quarter or early third quarter, then you'd see the final score, and they ended up winning 56-21.
    Yeah I kind of forgot to account for the onside kicks. I read some stat from one of those articles that, on average, the opposing team was starting their drives from the 33 on kickoffs and from their own 47 via onside kick, a mere 14 yard difference. It seems like a solid risk to take when looking at it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts
    Here's the box score. lol.

OMG, look at the assist column.

Banned

71 3-pt FG attempts!

who cares??

what is most important is.....

what was his........

[COLOR="Magenta"]FG%[/COLOR]

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    who cares??

what is most important is.....

what was his........

[COLOR="Magenta"]FG%[/COLOR]
    about kobe's career average

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
    I'm going to ignore the 0 assist part because that is horrid but the fact the he scored 138 points and I dont care if he shot 102 shots is still impressive. Division 3 basketball is a straight joke though.

its not that bad, at least not like other sports D3 bad. thing about basketball i think is a lot of idiots play it who might be good on the court but bad at school, and somehow they can get into junior college or D3 schools and ball there. i played with someone who played at a D3 school and he had game. tall ass white guy who could do 360 dunks. i was shocked how athletic he was given his size.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

We shouldn't be talking about this guy. 99% of the world can score an enormous amount of points with that many shot attempts. Let's talk about the player on the opposing team who scored 70 points on 30/44 shooting. that's pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    its not that bad, at least not like other sports D3 bad. thing about basketball i think is a lot of idiots play it who might be good on the court but bad at school, and somehow they can get into junior college or D3 schools and ball there. i played with someone who played at a D3 school and he had game. tall ass white guy who could do 360 dunks. i was shocked how athletic he was given his size.
    D3 academics are much higher on average than D1. Most D1 kids whomarent NBA prospects could benefit by leveraging their talents to get into a superior D3 or Ivy.

Does he still have arms?