Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does LeBron have the most compelling/breathtaking story/legacy of any athlete ever?

I'm constantly wowed by the magnitude of his epic story... Dubbed the Chosen One barely out of grade school... The prodigal son with the weight of the world on his shoulders... The savior of Cleveland... The trials and tribulations from 2003-2010.. The ups and downs... The Decision, running away from his destiny as the hero of Cleveland... Suddenly now the most hated athlete in the world... Becoming the villain The arrogance and eventual failure of that first season in Miami... The chokejob... Getting back to playing with love for the game.. The Chris Bosh injury in the playoffs... Game 6 in Boston.. The first championship... The all-time great 2013 MVP season... Game 6 in the finals... LeBron's ultimate destruction of the critics in Game 7 (Up until then)...
    At this point, his legacy was all but ensured... At this point he had gone from being the most hated to the most liked in a matter of a couple seasons... It felt like the book was finally written about him... But then he decided to go home..
    And it would be his hardest challenge yet. Bringing together a bunch of career losers, bad rep guys... To Cleveland no less...The destiny that was too much for him before.. Bigger than basketball...
    The first season was up and down, but cruelty would fate be, injuries striking them down, forcing LeBron to carry his guys to within 2 victories of that Larry O'Brien trophy which is all that matters...
    Then the drama of this season... The emergence of Curry, the dethroning of LeBron... Blatt getting fired... The media... But they got to the finals healthy this year... against a COLOSSUS and with the weight of so much on their shoulders.. It all looked lost down 3-1, but the will, the desire, the love got them to a game 6, then a game 7... It all came down to this... 2 minutes left... Scores even... The stakes do not get bigger than this... The Chasedown.. The shot... The icing Free Throw... The outburst of emotion on LeBron said it all..
    The most scrutinized athlete in history perhaps... Wherein Jordan's story reads more like a Disney movie... LeBron's is like an oscar tier epic drama to me... I'm enthralled by it... And how it progresses year after year. Truly a once in a lifetime athlete, and an even more once in a lifetime story. To me, nothing compares. It was already epic without this, but a championship in Cleveland... In this fashion and against that competition no less? There is no greater story than that of LeBron James.

Default Re: Does LeBron have the most compelling/breathtaking story/legacy of any athlete ever?

First of all, can you format your text properly?
    The wall of text you posted is atrocious to read.

Furthermore there are plenty of better stories in the world of sports more compelling and exciting than what happened a few days ago.
    Take say this years champions of the Premier League (UK Soccer) Leicester City, who won against ALL odds.

Or take Muhammad Ali. The things he went through are simply not comparable to the things LeBron James endured. I mean not even close.

Or to remain in the world of NBA basketball, how is LeBron James' story more compelling than MJ's story?

I understand that emotions run high, especially after a championship.
    But the things some "fans" of LeBron James are posting in the last days are simply mind boggling.

Default Re: Does LeBron have the most compelling/breathtaking story/legacy of any athlete ever?

Because MJ won every time

It's a boring story that has no real depth to it

Like a Disney movie

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    I'm constantly wowed by the magnitude of his epic story... Dubbed the Chosen One barely out of grade school... The prodigal son with the weight of the world on his shoulders... The savior of Cleveland... The trials and tribulations from 2003-2010.. The ups and downs... The Decision, running away from his destiny as the hero of Cleveland... Suddenly now the most hated athlete in the world... Becoming the villain The arrogance and eventual failure of that first season in Miami... The chokejob... Getting back to playing with love for the game.. The Chris Bosh injury in the playoffs... Game 6 in Boston.. The first championship... The all-time great 2013 MVP season... Game 6 in the finals... LeBron's ultimate destruction of the critics in Game 7 (Up until then)...
    At this point, his legacy was all but ensured... At this point he had gone from being the most hated to the most liked in a matter of a couple seasons... It felt like the book was finally written about him... But then he decided to go home..
    And it would be his hardest challenge yet. Bringing together a bunch of career losers, bad rep guys... To Cleveland no less...The destiny that was too much for him before.. Bigger than basketball...
    The first season was up and down, but cruelty would fate be, injuries striking them down, forcing LeBron to carry his guys to within 2 victories of that Larry O'Brien trophy which is all that matters...
    Then the drama of this season... The emergence of Curry, the dethroning of LeBron... Blatt getting fired... The media... But they got to the finals healthy this year... against a COLOSSUS and with the weight of so much on their shoulders.. It all looked lost down 3-1, but the will, the desire, the love got them to a game 6, then a game 7... It all came down to this... 2 minutes left... Scores even... The stakes do not get bigger than this... The Chasedown.. The shot... The icing Free Throw... The outburst of emotion on LeBron said it all..
    The most scrutinized athlete in history perhaps... Wherein Jordan's story reads more like a Disney movie... LeBron's is like an oscar tier epic drama to me... I'm enthralled by it... And how it progresses year after year. Truly a once in a lifetime athlete, and an even more once in a lifetime story. To me, nothing compares. It was already epic without this, but a championship in Cleveland... In this fashion and against that competition no less? There is no greater story than that of LeBron James.
    Wow. Goosebumps. Well done.

To answer your question - yes. The single most compelling and heroic career a pro athlete has had in our era. Guys like Ali and even MJ are just before our time.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

It's all business. Lebron is too smart to waste his prime with the Cavs. So he went to join force with his buddies and grabbed a few chips. Then he left the washed out Heats and came back to Cavs to build another contender(after Cavs had collected enough talent). Perfect execution of business strategy.

Very good NBA starter

The beginning: He represents a single parent home with a teenage mother who struggled to raise him and give him resources.

The city of Akron saw around 11 years old this kid could be great. Around 14-15 years old, he had a coach that saw he could be special and took him in. He was taken away from the hood and elements. They protected him.

He was annointed the chosen one at 16-17 years old. Kobe had HS hype but no one in the last 20 years was considered can't miss and "the next greatest of all time" He faced scrutiny for tattoos, and overall everything.

He's been what was expected of him for the most part.

I posted this earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by LeBird
    LeBron will end up the GOAT and with the greatest legacy.

LeBron didn't have the advantage of not having all eyes on him 24/7. He's been criticised, ridiculed for not living upto a myth - one that unfortunately that still pervades but fortunately, won't remain. Jordan was not perfect but kids have grown up thinking his shit don't stink and that he really is friends with Bugs Bunny.

All of LeBron's ups and downs at the end of his career will add to his narrative. The doubting and overcoming. The historic achievements and ultimately the tonnes of records he's broken and will break. The fact that his teammates and coaches love him will ring loud, that's including every level of his career.

The decision, the wins, the comeback, the promise-keeping and bringing Cleveland a championship in the most ridiculous circumstances possible that it could not be scripted. If it was written, his childhood until his career even now it would seem too farfetched. But despite trying to do everything right, he's had to do it the hard way.

Climbing Everest in record time is great, but climbing it while carrying 3 times your body weight is even greater. In that regard, LeBron's feats will become even greater, as will his legacy, because they were real and because of the human element of overcoming.

Now that LeBron did what no one else did or could do, and no one reasonable can even begin to hate on him for...he's gonna play with a new-found freedom. I'm betting he's gonna trust his jump shot more and won't play like the world is on his shoulders. You can see it already, the haters that still hate look petty and pathetic and are being drowned out by those championing him. He can feel the love too.

Long live the King!

good point of the different type of story/movie with MJ/Bron, both are movie-esque, but they're compelling in different ways. Easier to relate to Bron's.

That block was amazing.

Someone should make a video with that block and al Pacino's inch by inch speech.

Quote Originally Posted by JebronLames
    That block was amazing.

Someone should make a video with that block and al Pacino's inch by inch speech.
    not that speech again pls.. I liked the new ones done with Walken's Lion speech.. refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    not that speech again pls.. I liked the new ones done with Walken's Lion speech.. refreshing
    Lol but Al Pacino's matches perfectly with that play. He need every inch to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by JebronLames
    Lol but Al Pacino's matches perfectly with that play. He need every inch to get there.
    oh, true... you couldnt have timed the block any more perfectly. And thats what it took to execute it. Afterwards he said he also had the up/under layup covered on the other side

Now that he shook off the burden of The Decision. Now that he kept his promise......Now that he pretty much lived up to all the hype.....Holy F

Made that high school varsity squad

As a player Lebron is great and all. But I'd be a fan if he cut out all this crap:

Along with his endless flops. If you're gonna flop, at least don't look like a complete dumb***. He's a big dude and it just looks weird to see him flop around.

Also, yall need to stop overrating this championship. Yes he beat one of the best regular season team ever (GSW). But that's about it, his road wasn't exactly a massive obstacle compared to other greats. The east is such crap that we knew Cavs were going to the finals last summer and so far it looks like they'll be getting to the finals again next year.
    Last edited by bond10; 06-21-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xoush
    First of all, can you format your text properly?
    The wall of text you posted is atrocious to read.

Furthermore there are plenty of better stories in the world of sports more compelling and exciting than what happened a few days ago.
    Take say this years champions of the Premier League (UK Soccer) Leicester City, who won against ALL odds.

Or take Muhammad Ali. The things he went through are simply not comparable to the things LeBron James endured. I mean not even close.

Or to remain in the world of NBA basketball, how is LeBron James' story more compelling than MJ's story?

I understand that emotions run high, especially after a championship.
    But the things some "fans" of LeBron James are posting in the last days are simply mind boggling.