Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Default Re: Red Dead Redemption discussion

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    knifing cougars isnt to bad. what i usually do is shoot em once or twice with a shitty pistol so they get injured and scared, then just run by and slash em.

One of the later hunting challenges involves knifing a grizzly bear. that one is a little harder than cougars. bears arent all that aware of their surroundings so i ended up just sneaking around until i found one and knife it from behind to complete it.
    I could never find one alone. I see one and then from different angles I hear the growls of others. Also didnt know u could use a pistol to injure them then knife and it count. I thought straight knife work. Interesting.

I havent got to any of these missions. Completed 2 Marshalls missions and just saving it for now. But multiplayer has similar challenges for stuff like this. Like kill 4 bears and the 5th you gotta knife. Maybe single player they arent in packs. Cuz multiplayer I've literally seen 4 bears together charging towards them. Then as I flee run into cougars. Crazy.

I know cowboys couldnt swim hence why you cant swim in this game. But they damn sure used rafts. Would have been cool to use them in the game. Gather material and make a raft. Then fish. Nothing great but just xtra side stuff someone might find of interest. That waterfall and river you see up in Tall Trees is awesome. I jumped on a rock that was in the middle of it.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I did actually find some cougars in the boar area last night. And I took one down, knife only. I coulda gotten away, but I got greeday and went after the second one too. I should've taken off and saved it and came back for the second later. I just can't seem to consistently find them over there. I've been trapsing around up there for a while, but they're really hit or miss.

Where can I find Beavers? I've searched around tons of rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Where can I find Beavers? I've searched around tons of rivers.
    I found them near Tall Trees right past Bearclaw Camp along the river

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I found them near Tall Trees right past Bearclaw Camp along the river

K, I haven't got that far yet. Stupid to give me a quest I can't finish for quite awhile.

I could never find one alone. I see one and then from different angles I hear the growls of others. Also didnt know u could use a pistol to injure them then knife and it count. I thought straight knife work. Interesting.

I havent got to any of these missions. Completed 2 Marshalls missions and just saving it for now. But multiplayer has similar challenges for stuff like this. Like kill 4 bears and the 5th you gotta knife. Maybe single player they arent in packs. Cuz multiplayer I've literally seen 4 bears together charging towards them. Then as I flee run into cougars. Crazy.

I know cowboys couldnt swim hence why you cant swim in this game. But they damn sure used rafts. Would have been cool to use them in the game. Gather material and make a raft. Then fish. Nothing great but just xtra side stuff someone might find of interest. That waterfall and river you see up in Tall Trees is awesome. I jumped on a rock that was in the middle of it.

I am not entirely sure that the cougars are getting injured (i always aim for the legs so that it wont kill, i think i miss a lot though), however, they are definitely scared of bullets or something, so just shooting them once or twice to spook them before going in for the knife kill works really well.

In multiplayer there are a few challenge where you hunt bears. There is the one where you need to kill five and knife one, and then there is a later one where you need to kill the king bear or whatever. During the latter challenge, you initially get rushed by 10-15 bears before the king bear spawns, so if you see a train of like 5 bears running at you they are probably from this challenge or something.

So far, i have found that the best way to make money in single player is hunting. A few hours in one afternoon netted me $3500. The most valuable animals are probably Bison, Hawks/Eagles, Big horn, Beaver, Wolves and maybe Grizzlies.
    Last edited by KeylessEntry; 05-28-2010 at 02:52 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I am not entirely sure that the cougars are getting injured (i always aim for the legs so that it wont kill, i think i miss a lot though), however, they are definitely scared of bullets or something, so just shooting them once or twice to spook them before going in for the knife kill works really well.

In multiplayer there are a few challenge where you hunt bears. There is the one where you need to kill five and knife one, and then there is a later one where you need to kill the king bear or whatever. During the latter challenge, you initially get rushed by 10-15 bears before the king bear spawns, so if you see a train of like 5 bears running at you they are probably from this challenge or something.

So far, i have found that the best way to make money in single player is hunting. A few hours in one afternoon netted me $3500. The most valuable animals are probably Bison, Hawks/Eagles, Big horn, Beaver, Wolves and maybe Grizzlies.

Yeah, hunting is an easy money maker. The Hawk and Eagle feathers are quite valuable. And the wolves can be pretty valuable if you get lucky and they yield a heart. I'm not far enough to know about Bison, Grizzlies, or Beavers, but I can add that Bucks are pretty valuable. If you come across a group of deer, look for the larger male with the antlers, because that rack is worth a few dollars.

One of my few gripes at this point though (maybe my only gripe), is that I wish there was a way to turn off the skinning animation, and the loot body animation for that matter. I've done it enough now that I'd rather just have the few seconds back to start running around more.

And I think it was Gobb who pointed out that weapon wheel would be better served being replaced with a quick draw off the D-Pad, although I've gotten pretty used to it, I still agree with him.
    Last edited by Thorpesaurous; 05-28-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Agreed with the looting/skinning animation. I think it should be set up where after 10 loots/skinnings its turned off or something.

This is funny cuz last night I completed all the Master Hunter achievements. Knifing was as bad as i expected. I did what you just hinted at. Shooting to spook them then i rushed the cougar and knifed it. Same with bear altho it took more than one slash. The hardest of the hunter missions was the boars. Legendary boar too much shotgun blasts than the regular boar. However you're getting rushed by different angles. And you end up doin that stupid fall ont he ground only to have another boar trample you.

Im just gonna have fun with this multiplayer before leaping into single player fulltime.

This game sounds crazy. Knifing bears and cougars.

I wasn't planning on picking this one up but I might have to now.

man i was just 2 kills away from completing the lawbringer II challenge for clearing tumbleweed and fort mercer without dying, and some random guy rides up on his horse, tosses a piece of dynamite over the wall of the fort and kills me.

anybody here play on ps3?

Agreed with the looting/skinning animation. I think it should be set up where after 10 loots/skinnings its turned off or something.

This is funny cuz last night I completed all the Master Hunter achievements. Knifing was as bad as i expected. I did what you just hinted at. Shooting to spook them then i rushed the cougar and knifed it. Same with bear altho it took more than one slash. The hardest of the hunter missions was the boars. Legendary boar too much shotgun blasts than the regular boar. However you're getting rushed by different angles. And you end up doin that stupid fall ont he ground only to have another boar trample you.

Im just gonna have fun with this multiplayer before leaping into single player fulltime.

yeah that boar challenge gave me a lot of trouble. after getting trampled to death like 4 times, i realized that the boars cant get inside of the little ruined house thing by the river, so i just stood in there and picked em all off without getting touched once

A (small) spoiler in white:

Best line of the game:
    [COLOR="White"]Irish: "Down here they call me El Rato: The Cat."[/COLOR]

Gave me a chuckle when it happened.

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

helped Bonnie some more last night. details are awesome in this game.
    saved the horses from the barn, then saved Bonnie, also met this crazy ass dude Seth. Guy is tweeked-out. hes cool though . . .

yeah that boar challenge gave me a lot of trouble. after getting trampled to death like 4 times, i realized that the boars cant get inside of the little ruined house thing by the river, so i just stood in there and picked em all off without getting touched once
    I did the same thing. I got trampled down that hill and saw it. So I'm like this is where I camp. Also i died one time and they spawned me across the river. It was a b!tch getting to the other side!

That sucks about the lawbringer. I was close to $10,000 in the bounty and my friend sniped me.

College star

I picked this up last night, played for about 4-5 hours It's not bad. Its got a very solid GTA feel to it(as I suspected). The missions aren't stale, the gameplay so far is pretty solid.

It seems fairly short though, only 9 'main' characters to progress the story?