Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eddie Jones DUNKS! (by nonplayerzealot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdCD67g8Pc

Pretty cool dunk compilation from Eddie Jones.

Check out the slams at 1:32 and 4:29 . One of the more underrated in-game dunkers for sure.

Default Re: Eddie Jones DUNKS! (by nonplayerzealot)

Not just an underrated dunker, but an underrated PLAYER.

He was excellent on both ends of the floor. He could really shoot the ball too.

I loved Eddie Jones. I think he was on one point on the HEAT with Odom, Caron Butler, Rasual Butler, Brian Grant and eventually Wade. That was a fun team to watch.

Funny how he was replaced by Kobe in LA, went to Miami and got replaced by Wade

He's a great in game dunker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UIwfpy1gtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWx4y9v7urM

His near free throw line dunk against the Bucks was one of my favorite Jones Highlights of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jMJMcmyDzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmOGCEulKEw

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Not just an underrated dunker, but an underrated PLAYER.

He was excellent on both ends of the floor. He could really shoot the ball too.
    I've always said this. If somehow they kept Eddie Jones as the SF of the Phil Jackson teams... depth wouldn't have been the issue it was in 2003. I think people forget Eddie Jones was a BEAST defender in his prime (had a few flaws mostly due to his slim physique) and had a decent jumpshot. Think of a Jimmy Butler type of player, not as built but can shoot the ball better and is more consistent all around. IMO much better SF to build around than a veteran SF, Rick Fox. Fox was good but I think Eddie Jones and a Devean George tandem would have been dynamite especially if both were healthy in 2004 they may have taken it further than 5 games that year even with Kobe shot-chucking. Lets not forget they lost Fox that year mostly because Fox was on his last legs. Jones was a relevant player until like 2007.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    I've always said this. If somehow they kept Eddie Jones as the SF of the Phil Jackson teams... depth wouldn't have been the issue it was in 2003. I think people forget Eddie Jones was a BEAST defender in his prime (had a few flaws mostly due to his slim physique) and had a decent jumpshot. Think of a Jimmy Butler type of player, not as built but can shoot the ball better and is more consistent all around. IMO much better SF to build around than a veteran SF, Rick Fox. Fox was good but I think Eddie Jones and a Devean George tandem would have been dynamite especially if both were healthy in 2004 they may have taken it further than 5 games that year even with Kobe shot-chucking. Lets not forget they lost Fox that year mostly because Fox was on his last legs. Jones was a relevant player until like 2007.
    +1 good description. He's basically Jimmy Butler with more athleticism and a better(more consistent) jumpshot. I think Butler may have an edge with 3 point shooting but that's it. Also a better scorer than Butler with the ability to get to the basket.

I agree! The Lakers should have kept Eddie and Kobe together. Kobe was the best perimeter player in the world over time and in addition the top two way player in the world. Eddie at his best was one of the top 5-6 two way players on the perimeter in the world. I think it was kind of sort sighted on the Lakers part to choose Rice over Eddie. Rice was a better scorer, but he wasn't really a Bird-Nique-Durant-Lebron kind of alpha dog at the SF. So in those cases, I would take the better all around player who can ALSO get u 21 a night in Eddie. But I do know floor spacing wise it was a great fit to put Rice with Kobe and Shaq.

However, I think u keep Eddie and Kobe together. Jones might have ACTUALLY missed out on a borderline potential HOF kind of career by being traded. He would have made several more All Star games on a winning team. Plus he would have a minimum of three rings to go with it!

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I agree! The Lakers should have kept Eddie and Kobe together. Kobe was the best perimeter player in the world over time and in addition the top two way player in the world. Eddie at his best was one of the top 5-6 two way players on the perimeter in the world. I think it was kind of sort sighted on the Lakers part to choose Rice over Eddie. Rice was a better scorer, but he wasn't really a Bird-Nique-Durant-Lebron kind of alpha dog at the SF. So in those cases, I would take the better all around player who can ALSO get u 21 a night in Eddie. But I do know floor spacing wise it was a great fit to put Rice with Kobe and Shaq.

However, I think u keep Eddie and Kobe together. Jones might have ACTUALLY missed out on a borderline potential HOF kind of career by being traded. He would have made several more All Star games on a winning team. Plus he would have a minimum of three rings to go with it!
    Agreed would have been a very well respected 3rd option in terms of historic legendary NBA squads. I do respect Kobe though for saying Jones was his mentor and he was his first teacher about the NBA game when he got to the league. Apparently he was Kobe's best bud on the team in the early years. I can see why, he pretty much mirrors what you want in a teammate. Great slashing ability, unselfish, and uncanny lockdown defense for a man with his frame. If he stayed with the Lakers, I do think in his best years, he averages around 15 points with ridiculous defense. Like Kobe, he probably would have hit around 17ppts+ or more in 2003 when literally Shaq and Kobe were carrying that team. With that type of squad, they COULD have had a chance at beating the 2003 Spurs. The Lakers did nearly everything right tooling the team for its run for its three peat. But the longevity of the squad wasn't more than 5 years due to age and honestly lack of depth. Not sure if Eddie Jones takes a paycut but if he did, man oh man. I think they could have won one more ring in 2003. Rick Fox was often cited as a mediator of the Kobe and Shaq feud. Not sure how close Fox and Kobe were but I feel if Eddie Jones had this role being Kobe's first mentor and all in the NBA, Kobe would have taken the importance of keeping team chemistry together maybe more seriously. I think that lack of chemistry between those two cost them a championship in 2004, Kobe was shot chucking ... I love Kobe but man oh man, that 2004 year old Kobe really had a chip on his back that he wanted to be seen as better than Shaq. Efficiency wise, Shaq was limiting Ben Wallace and had a very solid series. Eddie Jones IMO could have been the mediator that Phil Jackson desperately needed during that season.

College superstar

uhh, am i the only one who cant watch the link?

College superstar

Agreed would have been a very well respected 3rd option in terms of historic legendary NBA squads. I do respect Kobe though for saying Jones was his mentor and he was his first teacher about the NBA game when he got to the league. Apparently he was Kobe's best bud on the team in the early years. I can see why, he pretty much mirrors what you want in a teammate. Great slashing ability, unselfish, and uncanny lockdown defense for a man with his frame. If he stayed with the Lakers, I do think in his best years, he averages around 15 points with ridiculous defense. Like Kobe, he probably would have hit around 17ppts+ or more in 2003 when literally Shaq and Kobe were carrying that team. With that type of squad, they COULD have had a chance at beating the 2003 Spurs. The Lakers did nearly everything right tooling the team for its run for its three peat. But the longevity of the squad wasn't more than 5 years due to age and honestly lack of depth. Not sure if Eddie Jones takes a paycut but if he did, man oh man. I think they could have won one more ring in 2003. Rick Fox was often cited as a mediator of the Kobe and Shaq feud. Not sure how close Fox and Kobe were but I feel if Eddie Jones had this role being Kobe's first mentor and all in the NBA, Kobe would have taken the importance of keeping team chemistry together maybe more seriously. I think that lack of chemistry between those two cost them a championship in 2004, Kobe was shot chucking ... I love Kobe but man oh man, that 2004 year old Kobe really had a chip on his back that he wanted to be seen as better than Shaq. Efficiency wise, Shaq was limiting Ben Wallace and had a very solid series. Eddie Jones IMO could have been the mediator that Phil Jackson desperately needed during that season.
    eh, lets not get carried away.. too many "could" and "what ifs". the lakers won 3 championships with great role players and coaching. they maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    eh, lets not get carried away.. too many "could" and "what ifs". the lakers won 3 championships with great role players and coaching. they maxed out.
    Look at the lack of depth in 2003 and 2004. I'm saying it could have happen. Jones was relevant until about 2005. Rick Fox was nonexistent post 2003.

College superstar

Look at the lack of depth in 2003 and 2004. I'm saying it could have happen. Jones was relevant until about 2005. Rick Fox was nonexistent post 2003.
    doubt it. eddie jones was done by 2003 and 2004. the lakers simply won all they were going to win. eddie jones wasnt going to stop the inner turmoil that locker room had before their demise.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    doubt it. eddie jones was done by 2003 and 2004. the lakers simply won all they were going to win. eddie jones wasnt going to stop the inner turmoil that locker room had before their demise.
    Ok maybe that is a reach but I'm just saying POSSIBLY because Kobe was best buds with Eddie when he got drafted to the Lakers, Eddie could have mediated the situation MAYBE. This is all speculation so don't take what I'm taking too serious. It was more of a "What if" or "possibly could have been" statement.

NBA sixth man of the year

This........They definitely would have had an easier time with Eddie Jones still on the roster.......