Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Asik-2013 Most Improved Player?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    I seen dude play a lot.

I see him averaging 7 or 8 rebounds a game but 12\12\3??g

you're underselling the rebounds part a bit. He has one of the league's best 20.1 rebound rate . Pretty sure he was over 10 rebs when he got extended minutes as well with the Bulls. Being that the Rockets have an abundance of stretch 4s I believe he can have that rebound number over 10 rather than under.

the points is a bit too farfetched at least for year 1. But hopefully, he picks Hakeem's/Malone's/McHale's brains a bit to get some semblance to his offense in the NBA.

pfft.. i love dude when he was in the chi. but he is no starter... lol houston

Local High School Star

OP, are you serious? Asik doesn't have much basketball talent. He's big, takes up space, and can do a little rebounding, but that's about it.

My picks for MIP in 12-13:

Evan Turner
    Jerryd Bayless
    Avery Bradley
    Klay Thompson

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    OP, are you serious? Asik doesn't have much basketball talent. He's big, takes up space, and can do a little rebounding, but that's about it.

Evan Turner
    Jerryd Bayless
    Avery Bradley
    Klay Thompson
    so, basically, only scoring takes basketball talent? Being one of the premier defenders, anticipating other players moves and challenging them, that doesnt take any basketball talent? Anyone whos that tall can do it? SMFH as these highlightreel muther****ers. Unless its flashy, its not basketball talent.

Now, no way will he be MIP, but those thinking he wont be incredibly useful in houston are full of it.

$8M a year for a young big with potential isn't a bad deal. Remember, it's $8M a year, not $15M in year three.

Boozehound, did you ever find out if Houston trades the player what their cap number is on the new team?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09

Evan Turner
    Jerryd Bayless
    Avery Bradley
    Klay Thompson

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Brook Lopez will play a full season and average 21/10. Resulting in a MIP award.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    $8M a year for a young big with potential isn't a bad deal. Remember, it's $8M a year, not $15M in year three.

Boozehound, did you ever find out if Houston trades the player what their cap number is on the new team?
    nah, never quite got a handle on it. they were at 30.25 with lee's QO. waived leuer and jordan (maybe 1.5 total?), SnT'd lee for 3 more players (no idea if they are guaranteed or what). so, if we just take them at 28.75 (known number minus the two waived players) and add the 16 mil for asik and lee, they are probably around 45 million. So, close to max contact under the cap still. they are definitely still in the running to trade martin and pieces for howard and turkey (or whatever, though I honestly dont think any of the other contracts on that team are actually all that terrible)

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    he's an elite rebounder and defender and has better hands than kwame. if kwame and deandre jordan were starters last season, why can't asik be one? he's still super raw offensively but he should be able to come close to 8/12.

that really isn't enough to be MIP but his defensive impact will certainly be felt. houston will just have to rely on their other positions for scoring
    I don't think it's ever correct to describe 27 year olds as "super raw". To me raw implies that with proper training and experience much improvement can be made.

Asik isn't raw, he simply isn't skilled offensively.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    Why the hell are people projecting that Asik will average a double double? He'll probably get garbage buckets here and there, but definitely not 10-12 points per game of garbage buckets. I can see him averaging double figure rebounding and 1.5-2 blocks per game, but double digit scoring, definitely not going to happen.
    I agree. About 7-8 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 bpg. I hope they start Jones beside him, with White and Motiejunas the first bigs off the bench.

He's getting overrated now. Look, the kid has potential, but there is a LOT he has to learn, and I can't see him getting there in one off-season. I can see him struggling to score under the basket and get in foul trouble all the time, but his defense will be great.

Not airballing my layups anymore Sleu27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Brook Lopez will play a full season and average 21/10. Resulting in a MIP award.

Lol @ Brook playing a full season and averaging 10 rebs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkrage
    you're underselling the rebounds part a bit. He has one of the league's best 20.1 rebound rate . Pretty sure he was over 10 rebs when he got extended minutes as well with the Bulls. Being that the Rockets have an abundance of stretch 4s I believe he can have that rebound number over 10 rather than under.

the points is a bit too farfetched at least for year 1. But hopefully, he picks Hakeem's/Malone's/McHale's brains a bit to get some semblance to his offense in the NBA.
    I'm guessing Jason Maxiell and Blair would be leaders in rebounds per game when giving more minutes.

Not airballing my layups anymore Sleu27's Avatar

9 ppg
    10 rpg
    2 apg
    1 spg

at best..

Local High School Star

Jeremy Lin is no Steve Nash. Forget it.

On that note, look to see Marcin Gortat's numbers fall off quite a bit.