Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is Bruce Lee the greatest fighter who ever lived?

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

the actual greatest fighter of all time...
    True dat.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    True dat.
    Pffft, he'd get taken down and twisted into a pretzel.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Wasn't Gene Labell the guy who choked out Steven Seagal and made him shit himself while passed out?

And I don't think I've ever heard anyone call Bruce Lee the greatest fighter ever. Guy was an actor. That's like saying Christian Bale is the greatest crime fighter ever, makes no sense.
    Supposedly LeBell choked him out and made him poop his pants.

Seagal denies it, of course. But I'd trust LeBell's word over Seagal's.

And I've heard a lot of people say Bruce Lee is the greatest fighter ever. Have you never heard people seriously have debates like "who would win in a fight... Bruce Lee or Mike Tyson?".

Mike Tyson would murder Bruce Lee.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Some even competed in "MMA" type matches. Like when "Judo" Gene Labell fought boxer Milo Savage in 1963.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mER2BmNRA
    That was fantastic. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    I could see how the East would "fall in love" with BL's story, legend. etc (but the West did, too)... but to think it was some marketing, self-driven deception to the West in addition, I can't say for sure.

BL wasn't a boxer... which was the supreme fighting arena around "his time" (in the West anyway).

There's just no way to know... but I think there's SOME truth to his legacy.
    It wasn't just the West. Though Hollywood had tons to do with it. Lee basically was the star and babyface when Martial Arts movies were at its mainstream peak. The China market was in-love with Lee.

Banned

And I've heard a lot of people say Bruce Lee is the greatest fighter ever. Have you never heard people seriously have debates like "who would win in a fight... Bruce Lee or Mike Tyson?".

Yeah, I remember hearing that story about Labell putting Seagal to sleep and Steven shitting himself. Apparently it was backed up by several people since it happened on a movie set in front of others. Plus if anyone in the martial arts world is a fraud, it's Steven f*cking Seagal. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

And I would hope Tyson would be able to beat Lee seeing as how he had like 90-100 lbs on him

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    Pffft, he'd get taken down and twisted into a pretzel.
    We would see this:

And then we would see this:

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

To be fair, I don't think when people compare fighters, they expect a guy who is 140 pounds to beat a guy who is 230 assuming both are elite in their respective fighting styles.

Bruce Lee was, first and foremost, an actor. His legend has grown over the years and he is now looked upon by many as the consummate professional fighter. That was never an accurate description for him and, further, he never tried to be that.

It is just a case of people being enamored with his legend, which is sort of understandable.

FWIW, I also wouldn't put Mike Tyson anywhere near the top of the greatest fighters of all-time. He certainly proved himself more than Lee against competent competition, but he is generally overrated by pretty much everyone.

A guy I would have liked to have seen compete in an MMA format had it been around when he was the man is Dan Gable. I have a feeling he would have been a monster. That is one tough SOB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kVBBzUUpsQ

Local High School Star

Lee would wreck Tyson in a street fight.

He never trained modern MMA. And 90% of the population still don't know what an armbar or shoulder lock is.

Bruce Lee trained a little bit in Judo with Gene Labell, but he didn't seriously cross train like people today.

And Bruce Lee was NOT the first person to do it.

Frickin' Teddy Roosevelt used to practice boxing, wrestling, judo and jiu jitsu.

Ever heard of Danny Hodge? Of course you haven't. But anyway, he was a silver medalist in the 1956 Olympics in wrestling, and was also a professional golden gloves boxer.

He would have destroyed Bruce Lee.

So could you say Bruce Lee was one of the most influential "martial artists"? Sure.

Could you say he was one of the most influential "FIGHTERS"? No.

of course he never trained MMA.....there was no modern MMA back when Lee first started.

I never said he was the first person to cross train...But he was one of the first guy's to cross train and document the value of each dicipline.

- Lee was a "Fighter" IMO , since he trained in Boxing , Kickboxing etc...too go along with train submission grappling. ( not sure why you think wrestling and boxing (Hodge) is fighting but slight Lee for Kickboxing and grappling)He created, before his untimely death, an approach to martial arts training and fighting that is followed, to a greater or lesser extent, by thousands of martial arts practitioners.
    He was an innovator in the martial arts and some of his theories anticipated the "mma craze" of today.

could you say he was one of the most influencial "Martial Artists" ?? yes...

IMo you can also say he was a fighter...since he used his techniques in real life....ther was no modern MMA like we know today.

If some guy who trains BBJ twice a week can FIGHT "UFC" and be a Fighter...then LEE was most def a Fighter.

PS: Hodge may have destroyed LEE in a MMA fight.....but if Hodge had no clue about submission fighting then LEE could have very well choked him/joint manipulated him.

just as shown here when 5'9" 160lbs Hickson chokes a 220lbs top shelf wrestler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fngsgye5cg4

and again...this time Hickson fights a much larger opponent who had expierience wrestling and kickboxing....in fact IMO Zulu ( the opponent) would smash Hodge very easily....but the much smaller sub grappler (wich Bruce LEE trained and knew many chokes and joint manipulation) won..

yes the more I think about it....Lee knew Jujitsu.....easy victory against Hodge who would take him down ...yet get choked .
    Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 08-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    Who's a better proven fighter than BL? Who's a better proven bball player than Jordan?

If you ask the majority of the world population who's the best at each respective skill, who do you think gets the most votes?

Maybe "on paper" (if you want to talk purely stats, etc... I was thinking more along the lines of commonly accepted perception) wasn't the best term to use... but you get my point.

so basically you are NOT TALKING about "ON PAPER"

you are talking about procieved /acclamation / Majority opinion

the exact opposite of "on paper"...

"on paper" I don't think Lee had any pro fights ...on paper (comparing superstars) Jordan didn't win the most titles ( not even close actually), didn't score the most points , wasn't the best defender ever ,wasn't the best shooter ever, doesn'thave the most accolades...doesn't have the best winning %

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Jordan has a lot going for him "on paper" though...a ton

much more than Bruce that's for sure...

Norris certainly has proven himself more than Lee has.

But even still, Norris competed in non-contact Karate... not exactly a "fight".

It wasn't non-contact. Contact was optional. Fighters were free to let their punches go if they chose too. Once Norris got his nose broken in a fight and one of the judges came into the ring, grabbed his nose and pulled, straightening it out. The fight continued and Norris won.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._g_career.html

I think a case can be made for Jordan GOAT paper champ...

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

A guy I would have liked to have seen compete in an MMA format had it been around when he was the man is Dan Gable. I have a feeling he would have been a monster. That is one tough SOB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kVBBzUUpsQ

I remember hearing about him although i never followed wrestling. He trained so hard that people thought he was nuts.

Who was that Russian heavyweight who dominated Greco Roman wrestling for so long? Cant remember his name but he would have been nasty in MMA.