Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: 1990-1992 Michael Jordan Shot Chart

Phila, can you post the cumulative averages of Jordan (pts, rebs, etc) in these games?
    BTW, the totals of the shot chart are 1346-2478 FG's.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Basically what some of us have been saying for eons.

if you combined the best of Kobe at his best
    The best of Bron at his best
    And the best of Wade at his best

You get MJ
    I'm guessing you included Wade just to bring down MJ's 3 point shooting.

NBA sixth man of the year

Hmm....the children aint gonna like this topic...Good shit OP...

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Yeah...I Remember The Barkley Gorilla 2 Handed Dunks When I Was a Kid

But Barkley Would Dunk It With Either Hand Too. Check This Dunk On Mutombo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPnbqWusWVg

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Phila, can you post the cumulative averages of Jordan (pts, rebs, etc) in these games?
    I didn't keep track of the statistics other than points scored and FG/FGA, except in "clutch" time. Overall the per game averages for all the games listed (some incomplete) is 33.7 ppg while shooting 53.5% from the floor.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    I didn't keep track of the statistics other than points scored and FG/FGA, except in "clutch" time. Overall the per game averages for all the games listed (some incomplete) is 33.7 ppg while shooting 53.5% from the floor.
    MiGOD GOATdan

People jerking off to arbitrary chosen games in this thread

I wonder how many "off games" have been included in this. I doubt there were many.

Great work though.

Actually the totals for both shot charts + the Synergy chart is 1672/3128 FG.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

The +/- on the Ortg really pretty shocking. The Net ORtg: +35.6 is simply insane. Legendary. While I do not Shaq net ORtg of 2000, I know his 2002 playoffs On − Off was +22.1. I'm shocked that the Bulls team sucked that much offensively without him. It didn't seem so when I was watching some of his games.

The +/- on Drtg is pretty big too. It's bigger than Kevin Garnett 04 (net -6.1) and Tim Duncan 03 (-5.1). While it doesn't mean he is better defensively, it just means he had crazy impact and his team didn't do well without him. That is also surprising because he had Pippen and Grant on the team.

I'm not that shocked about the midrange. He shot mostly jumpers anyway, and if you watch his games, you can tell how good he was. I'm shocked about him finishing around the rim tho. He seemed more like around 60% when watching him in the playoffs. I didn't expect a 70% with him finishing at the rim. Especially since the paint was much more crowded then than it is now. He has LeBron efficiency at the rim despite the harder difficulty.

Tho it's not the full season, it basically showed how epic prime MJ really was.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=LeBron%20James

75.4 in 2012
    78.3 last season.

I don't know what his percentages are this season.
    Basketball-reference say that his percentage was 77.6 in the regular season (last season):
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...&is_playoffs=0

Including the playoffs it was 75.6%
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/

Nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    The +/- on the Ortg really pretty shocking. The Net ORtg: +35.6 is simply insane. Legendary. While I do not Shaq net ORtg of 2000, I know his 2002 playoffs On − Off was +22.1. I'm shocked that the Bulls team sucked that much offensively without him. It didn't seem so when I was watching some of his games.

The +/- on Drtg is pretty big too. It's bigger than Kevin Garnett 04 (net -6.1) and Tim Duncan 03 (-5.1). While it doesn't mean he is better defensively, it just means he had crazy impact and his team didn't do well without him. That is also surprising because he had Pippen and Grant on the team.

I'm not that shocked about the midrange. He shot mostly jumpers anyway, and if you watch his games, you can tell how good he was. I'm shocked about him finishing around the rim tho. He seemed more like around 60% when watching him in the playoffs. I didn't expect a 70% with him finishing at the rim. Especially since the paint was much more crowded then than it is now. He has LeBron efficiency at the rim despite the harder difficulty.

Tho it's not the full season, it basically showed how epic prime MJ really was.
    The data's on nba.com/stats, but you need to do the calculations yourself for the most part. I did on/off for a few notable bigs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing

Shaq 00 had 8.3 ORtg diff, -1.5 DRtg diff, 10.1 net diff. Much better in the playoffs (12.9, -11.1, 24.0 total).

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=LeBron%20James

75.4 in 2012
    78.3 last season.

I don't know what his percentages are this season.
    Sorry, I thought the bottom row was the current season. Point stands though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher

I wonder how many "off games" have been included in this. I doubt there were many.

Great work though.
    When was that word used anywhere? PHILA used every available game of MJ online, no "choosing" involved. If a game is out there, it's included in the sample.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher

Great work though.
    lol @ this jackass calling the games chosen "arbitrary" with ZERO justification. These were most of his available games from those seasons. lmao @ dude acting like the OP cherry picked the best games.

For what it's worth, Kevin Johnson has said that Jordan's defense was more devastating to the opposition than "anything he could do offensively". I guess this would give some credence to the belief of Bill Russell as the GOAT, strictly looking at it from an opponent's perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaAwAAXF0po

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Even more telling is that Pippen was in the game for a lot of those off court minutes for Jordan, since Phil Jackson would keep one of the two players in the game to play with the bench (unless it was garbage time). The Bulls bench was inconsistent, though I think the statistics here underrate their capabilities. Even players like Will Perdue (great passer) were excellent players within their roles off the bench. In Pippen's case, he was an excellent creator and deadly in transition, though his outside jump shot was a bit shaky. What is most impressive how he really improved his outside shooting over his career, considering how bad he was as a rookie.

But that bench came through for them in big games as well, notably Game 6 vs. Portland in the Finals. For a good portion of that game it looked like the Blazers were going to force a Game 7, but early in the 4th quarter the bench led by Pippen, Hansen, etc went on a run to cut the big Blazers lead down. When Jordan subbed back in he finished them off the last 6 minutes.

Imagine seeing an explosive move off the dribble like this in high definition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2iBb6fp5g
    Last edited by PHILA; 11-27-2013 at 07:15 PM.