Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: The LIE That There Were Not Any Good International Players In '92

I wanna add that Marciulionis was pretty much at his peak in those olympics I think. 1992 olympcis happened after the season where Marciulionis averaged over 21ppg in playoffs for warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicman
    Please tell me you are joking...

ill give you bogut and mills over shane heal but over andrew gaze? no way!
    Mills isn't even really better than Heal IMO.

Local High School Star franchise#3's Avatar

Whereabouts does Euroleague live in Arkansas?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    I wanna add that Marciulionis was pretty much at his peak in those olympics I think. 1992 olympcis happened after the season where Marciulionis averaged over 21ppg in playoffs for warriors.
    Yes, but according to the American NBA only fans here, he was a "Euro scrub". Marciulionis was the '80s-'90s version of Spanoulis. Dude was an absolute beast. But of course the American NBA only fans have never even heard of him.

Which is truly pathetic, seeing how he was an excellent NBA player. But of course, these are the same fools that have never even heard of guys like Andrew Gaze, Nick Galis, Oscar Schmidt, Drazen Dalipagic, etc.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 08-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Yes, but according to the American NBA only fans here, he was a "Euro scrub". Marciulionis was the '80s-'90s version of Spanoulis. Dude was an absolute beast. But of course the American NBA only fans have never even heard of him.

Which is truly pathetic, seeing how he was an excellent NBA player. But of course, these are the same fools that have never even heard of guys like Andrew Gaze, Nick Galis, Oscar Schmidt, Drazen Dalipagic, etc.
    Ah, yes Nick Galis, the American born naturalized Greek who grew up learning all of his basketball in America taught by American coaches, who was drafted in the fourth round by the Boston Celtics. What a stud

Galis was no Nate Huffman but was still pretty good
    Last edited by Nick Young; 08-07-2012 at 08:56 AM.

NBA Superstar

I'm not sure Sarunas Marciulionis fits that category (of overlooked foreigners). Contrary to many international players back then, Marciulionis came stateside and left his mark on NBA basketball. It seems most folks who consider themselves NBA fans recall or are aware of Sarunas and his skills. They also tend to credit him for being one of the pioneers of the Euro-step.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm not sure Sarunas Marciulionis fits that category (of overlooked foreigners). Contrary to many international players back then, Marciulionis came stateside and left his mark on NBA basketball. It seems most folks who consider themselves NBA fans recall or are aware of Sarunas and his skills. They also tend to credit him for being one of the pioneers of the Euro-step.
    Marciulionis has been called a "Euro scrub" dozens of times in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Ah, yes Nick Galis, the American born naturalized Greek who grew up learning all of his basketball in America taught by American coaches, who was drafted in the fourth round by the Boston Celtics. What a stud

Galis was no Nate Huffman but was still pretty good
    Galis was not a naturalized Greek you moron. Do you even ****ing know what the term naturalization means in nationality?

God damn you are an idiot.

News flash, Greek League didn't even allow naturalized players until the 1990s.

Banned

Galis was not a naturalized Greek you moron. Do you even ****ing know what the term naturalization means in nationality?

God damn you are an idiot.

News flash, Greek League didn't even allow naturalized players until the 1990s.
    He was born in America. He learned to play basketball in America, getting coached by Americans.

The "Greek" GOAT is an American product of the American basketball system.

There were obviously good, great and elite international players back then, teams were just (and still are) weary of bringing them into the league because of unfair stereotypes.

Saying there weren't any good international players back then is like saying the Negro Leagues didn't have good baseball players because they weren't in the MLB.

The talent was there, the opportunities were not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    He was born in America. He learned to play basketball in America, getting coached by Americans.

The "Greek" GOAT is an American product of the American basketball system.
    You said he was a naturalized Greek. That was a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    There were obviously good, great and elite international players back then, teams were just (and still are) weary of bringing them into the league because of unfair stereotypes.

Saying there weren't any good international players back then is like saying the Negro Leagues didn't have good baseball players because they weren't in the MLB.

The talent was there, the opportunities were not.
    Yep, exactly.

Banned

You said he was a naturalized Greek. That was a lie.
    Nate Huffman>Spanoulis. Deal with it.

Marciulionis has been called a "Euro scrub" dozens of times in this forum.
    No he hasn't. Hes not brought up enough to be called that.

The only thread I do remember of him on here consisted of everyone talking about how great his 'euro step' move was.

Only in a group of scrubs like that can Anthony Parker become the GOAT lol..