Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Splitz77 has decent reputation
Default How to use my quickness to my advantage?

The title basically says it all, Im basically probably the fastest kid in our whole league, Im 5'11" I have pretty good handling skills but i suck at driving, can any one give me some pointers or some tips on how to use my quickness as an advantage to get to the basket. Every time I try, even with one on one, i seem to get cut off alot..
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
KJones
Banned

KJones has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How to use my quickness to my advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitz77
The title basically says it all, Im basically probably the fastest kid in our whole league, Im 5'11" I have pretty good handling skills but i suck at driving, can any one give me some pointers or some tips on how to use my quickness as an advantage to get to the basket. Every time I try, even with one on one, i seem to get cut off alot..

What type of fast are you? Top end sprinting speed doesn't mean much in basketball as the court is only 96 feet. Are your first three steps fast? If it takes you more then three or 4 steps to get up to top speed in basketball you are not going to beat many people off the dribble.

Jump higher and run faster in 8 weeks:
http://www.program51.com
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
gblz
I airball my layups

gblz has an OK reputation so far

Practice your hesitation moves, stutter step, basic crossovers etc. The point is to make your drive unpredictable. Once you have the defense mixed up, that's when you use your quickness to your advantage. Try to change the defense's stance and attack their front foot. Once you past your man, there's not much he can do unless he commits a foul.

Are you driving in only one direction? Make sure to practice with your off hand too so the defense can't predict which way you go.

Also, you should always try to attack from the triple threat position instead of beating your man off the dribble alone since you have the advantage of shot fakes and jab steps. If you're as quick as you say, then beating the defense on the first step shouldn't be too difficult. From there, it gets easier.

Hope I helped.
gblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #4
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

if your the quickest person on your team and youre gettin cut off by others then you probably have no skills/moves/smarts.

i'd take a skilled smart player over one who is just athletic. like the guy above me said, work off the pivot, use a jab step, get the defender off balance, dont give away what your going to do.

you can't teach raw talent like quickness, so luckly for you, you have that talent. work on your skill set and no one will be able to guard you.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
tastystaci
Local High School Star

tastystaci has decent reputation

Basketball is about change of pace. Look at Steve Nash, he's probably the slowest pg in the league, but because he changes speeds with hesitations, stutter steps, etc, he's able to get by anyone. Set your man up, THEN explode. You shouldn't be going in 5th gear the entire game. You should go from 2nd, to 5th, down to 3. You get the idea.
tastystaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
Splitz77
Good High School Starter

Splitz77 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones
What type of fast are you? Top end sprinting speed doesn't mean much in basketball as the court is only 96 feet. Are your first three steps fast? If it takes you more then three or 4 steps to get up to top speed in basketball you are not going to beat many people off the dribble.

Jump higher and run faster in 8 weeks:
http://www.program51.com

Im fast right off my first step.
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
gblz
I airball my layups

gblz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Try to work off of your jab step. Taking your man off the first step is a lot more efficient than off the dribble.
gblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
KJones
Banned

KJones has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Then either you are not reading your defender correctly, they don't respect your outside shooting so they are giving you a cushion negating your speed, you don't know how to use your body once you get the defender to open up and slide or make a full crossover recovery step, don't know how to use your own cut-off dribble or you are not setting your move up correctly which usually means there is a footwork problem. You need to watch some game film of yourself and figure out which one it is.
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
Hypeair
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Hypeair has an OK reputation so far

Changing pace and knowing when to do so!
Hypeair is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: