Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Russell Westbrook benched during Game 2 of Thunder-Mavs WCF!

It was because Maynor was having a good game, still I liked the fact that Brooks showed Westbrook that he would keep him on bench if his backup is playing a better and smarter game than him.

The fact that this is a topic of conversation in the media shows just how much Westbrook and his shot-jacking have gained precedence over the team concept.

He is not the first 'star' to be benched down the stretch, nor will he be the last.

If I was in the Thunder management, I would let him walk. His poor decision-making and ego will dog him throughout his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    The fact that this is a topic of conversation in the media shows just how much Westbrook and his shot-jacking have gained precedence over the team concept.

He is not the first 'star' to be benched down the stretch, nor will he be the last.

If I was in the Thunder management, I would let him walk. His poor decision-making and ego will dog him throughout his career.
    yeah, because it is so easy for Oklahoma City to acquire top shelf talent....

people really exxagerrate this type of stuff. It is no big deal.

People really underrate Westbrook. Try to blame him when the Thunder lose and then attribute all his success to Kevin Durant. Contrary to popular belief, Westbrook is an all star on any team. If Thunder don't want Westbrook, the Lakers would more than love to take him off their hands.
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 05-20-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Serious playground baller ThunderKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf

The guy is really young!! I'm hoping over the next few years he will be content to let the coaching staff dictate what his role is. I guess only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    yeah, because it is so easy for Oklahoma City to acquire top shelf talent....

people really exxagerrate this type of stuff. It is no big deal.

Westbrook is almost always blamed for OKC's losses. His poor decision making, out of control drives, hero ball, and lack of passing all contribute and for some reason, including us, all see it and say WTF?

The fact OKC was down almost the entire game, or atleast seemed to be fighting an uphill battle-- then all the sudden Westbrook sits the entire 4th quarter, then astonishingly they pull the W.

That says A TON when you're considered the face of your team, with Durant slightly above him. His backup played the entire 4th quarter, and in my opinion won because of it.

Westbrook already has this bad reputation with ego, and he is not helping his case. You're a PG and the coach benches you while screaming "PASS THE BALL!".

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspah
    Westbrook is almost always blamed for OKC's losses. His poor decision making, out of control drives, hero ball, and lack of passing all contribute and for some reason, including us, all see it and say WTF?

The fact OKC was down almost the entire game, or atleast seemed to be fighting an uphill battle-- then all the sudden Westbrook sits the entire 4th quarter, then astonishingly they pull the W.

That says A TON when you're considered the face of your team, with Durant slightly above him. His backup played the entire 4th quarter, and in my opinion won because of it.

Westbrook already has this bad reputation with ego, and he is not helping his case. You're a PG and the coach benches you while screaming "PASS THE BALL!".

You can roll your eyes all you want. Without all those out of control drives that only he can do on that team the Thunder wouldnt be the team they are. Those drives are what put the pressure on the opposing teams bigs, NOT DURANT'S JUMPERS OFF SCREENS. Even when Westbrook misses(which he will improve on) he draws 2 or 3 defenders at the rim leading to easy offensive rebounds. The guy is a phenomenal talent who is learning the pg position. Oklahoma fans are just ungrateful. Without this guy the team turns into a pure jumpshooting team. He provides a necessary dimension if they EVER hope to win anything.

Maybe people should have been this critical of Kevin Durant when Ron Artest shut him down last year. Trust me, im no KD hater(he is one of my fav players) but the treatment of Westbrook just reeks of not understanding his impact on the game.
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 05-20-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Magic Johnson

Maynor was playing well, and Brooks wanted to ride the hot hand, especially since Westbrook, despite shooting well, made a lot of questionable decisions. It almost came back to bite them, but it worked. Big deal. It's not like Maynor's suddenly going to take over Westbrook's spot. Moving on...

Saw a basketball once BlackMamba24's Avatar

he'll become a great pg. he's only friggin 22. i see so much potential in him he just needs to mature. same goes for rose, he may be the mvp but he's still far from being a true elite guard. they're still young. chill out.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

You must not have watched the game. We had a lead as early as the first half and played close with neither team blowing the other out the water until late in the 3rd when the bench + KD scored 10 straight possessions.

7-15 is NOT even a bad game. Derrick Rose was 7 for 23 and his team lost and everyone just blames his bad shooting games on his teammates every time.

There's 3PGs I'd take over Russ in a trade (Rose, DWill, CP3). If it's anything else, we're getting worse. If he has to be involved to facilitate a Dwight Howard deal, ok but that's all.

The ESPN guys were trying themselves to friggin trade him out of there last night.

We wouldn't have made it this far, postseason or regular season, without Westbrook so to just overanalyze every turnover and missed shot and hold it eternally against him is just unfair.

Newsflash: Westbrook wasn't benched because of his play or Maynor's play. He was benched because he snapped at Brooks when he came back to the bench after a TO that was his fault. I mean really. He was having a good game. 2 of his 4 TO's were Perkin's fault anyways. Dude can't catch but still credited to Russ.

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    You must not have watched the game. We had a lead as early as the first half and played close with neither team blowing the other out the water until late in the 3rd when the bench + KD scored 10 straight possessions.

7-15 is NOT even a bad game. Derrick Rose was 7 for 23 and his team lost and everyone just blames his bad shooting games on his teammates every time.

There's 3PGs I'd take over Russ in a trade (Rose, DWill, CP3). If it's anything else, we're getting worse. If he has to be involved to facilitate a Dwight Howard deal, ok but that's all.

The ESPN guys were trying themselves to friggin trade him out of there last night.

We wouldn't have made it this far, postseason or regular season, without Westbrook so to just overanalyze every turnover and missed shot and hold it eternally against him is just unfair.
    What do you know from fair?

Every Bulls fan I know on Facebook said Rose had a bad game.....no one blames the other Bulls for that.

Westbrook is making a bad name for himself this year playing selfishly and stupidly and you just can't take it.

*And Rose is shooting 47% for his career, same as Dirk Nowitski.....don't line up his stats with Westbrooks without acknowledging that please.

Westbrook took all the heat when Durant couldn't get open and he was the only other scorer on the floor. OKC needs another bench scorer so Harden can start and then the PG has more options then dribble till KD's open/drive if KD doesn't get open. Sadly, that is OKC's set offense.

Cook-Harden-Durant-Nazr/Collision + Maynor is a better offensive lineup not because of Maynor. Because there's 3 legit shooters outside of the PG, 2 that can create their own shot. Thabo and Perkins can't do anything offensively, Ibaka is limited to put backs and a nice mid range jumper. After that it's Durant gets open or Russ drives. And it worked sooooo bad it got them the 4 seed and to the WCF.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidrage
    Newsflash: Westbrook wasn't benched because of his play or Maynor's play. He was benched because he snapped at Brooks when he came back to the bench after a TO that was his fault. I mean really. He was having a good game. 2 of his 4 TO's were Perkin's fault anyways. Dude can't catch but still credited to Russ.
    Where do you get your inside information?

Your post is illogical.

He was already being taken out when Brooks told him to pass and he snapped on him so how do you know the comment is what kept RW on the bench?

Please dont tell me you believe in what is said at press conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidrage
    Westbrook took all the heat when Durant couldn't get open and he was the only other scorer on the floor. OKC needs another bench scorer so Harden can start and then the PG has more options then dribble till KD's open/drive if KD doesn't get open. Sadly, that is OKC's set offense.

Cook-Harden-Durant-Nazr/Collision + Maynor is a better offensive lineup not because of Maynor. Because there's 3 legit shooters outside of the PG, 2 that can create their own shot. Thabo and Perkins can't do anything offensively, Ibaka is limited to put backs and a nice mid range jumper. After that it's Durant gets open or Russ drives. And it worked sooooo bad it got them the 4 seed and to the WCF.
    Obviously he was doing something wrong within the parameters of the offense unless you think Brooks is just picking on him.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba24
    he'll become a great pg. he's only friggin 22. i see so much potential in him he just needs to mature. same goes for rose, he may be the mvp but he's still far from being a true elite guard. they're still young. chill out.
    Winning MVP, being the AS starter, leading pgs in scoring and blocks, and leading your team to the ECF at 22 doesn't make you elite?

He's FAR from it?

Child please.