Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    cool guy

Default Re: David Robinson > Tim Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    he averaged better numbers most of his career, he had a couple bad playoff series, my point was if he had the stacked teams Duncan had to help carry the load he would have had much more success in the playoffs.

the only reason people put Duncan above Robinson is because of team success, if Robinson played on those teams instead of Duncan they would have been more successful. Robinson would have easily performed better in the playoffs against the weak front courts of the 2000's. You put Duncan in the 90's without Manu and Parker and he is getting bounced by Hakeem, Malone and Stockton, Payton and Kemp and if he is lucky enough to make it to the finals Michael Jordan and Scottie, then when you get to the 2000's Kobe and Shaquille O'Neal. Duncan was lucky to come into the league when he did.

David Robinson is a better player than Tim Duncan.
    Both guys were great in the regular season during their best years. Robinson was better... BUT who's the one that stepped up in the big stage? The moment where it mattered the most? Duncan did. That is why I say Duncan is better than Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Definitely arguable, but most you guys weren't born when Robinson was in prime.

I think he was mad overrated. His numbers/accolades make him seem like a better player than he was. Dude isn't better than TD tho.

His game was amazing, don't get me wrong... he had that jumper and was a really great athlete, but putting him in the conversation with all time greats, to me, is ridiculous.

Not building a team around him and I'm not putting him in the paint vs an all time great to get me a W.

-Smak

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dee O Gee
    Both guys were great in the regular season during their best years. Robinson was better... BUT who's the one that stepped up in the big stage? The moment where it mattered the most? Duncan did. That is why I say Duncan is better than Robinson.
    This. Duncan's intangibles and ability to perform well in the playoffs is what separates the two legends.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I think he was mad overrated. His numbers/accolades make him seem like a better player than he was. Dude isn't better than TD tho.

His game was amazing, don't get me wrong... he had that jumper and was a really great athlete, but putting him in the conversation with all time greats, to me, is ridiculous.

Not building a team around him and I'm not putting him in the paint vs an all time great to get me a W.

-Smak
    don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say David Robinson > Shaq, Hakeem or any of the other great big men. I'm just saying that if Robinson and Duncan switched places Robinson would have had more success than Duncan in the 2000's and he would be a lot higher on peoples all-time lists.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    This. Duncan's intangibles and ability to perform well in the playoffs is what separates the two legends.
    Because having much better teammates had nothing to do with that, right? You guys are ****ing morons. It is as if none of you realize how much attention Robinson was getting during the playoffs. There was NO ONE to take the pressure off on a consistent basis. He was doubled and tripled over and over in the playoffs during his career. Intangibles...intangibles are what people who THINK they know about basketball bring up...so they can seem clever and witty and like they know what the fcuk they are talking about. Ppft...
    Last edited by Smoke117; 02-23-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Decent playground baller

never got to watch prime DRob.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    if you switch their places in history i.e. Robinson coming into the league at 21, drafted by the Spurs to play with an aging Duncan then later playing with Parker and Ginobili we would be discussing David Robinson as a top 5 player of all-time as he would certainly have 6+ championships with 6+ FMVP's.
    No we wouldn't because it would have never happened.

If we're going to assume he plays with aging Duncan, then we're going to assume Robinson career path is the same. He's done at 2011, so he isn't going to 2 more finals. Infact, he's an inferior playoff performer to Duncan, so I'm not going to assume he wins 2003 either. Does he even win in 2005 ?

So it's 2-3 rings at best. Not more successful.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Dwyane Wade > Kobe

I think u could go either way on this one. But for me, I dig Duncan's low post arsenal on the block . Plus he was a very skilled 7 footer in terms of midrange shooting, dribbling, and passing just like David. The main difference between the two is David's freak athletic ability. However if I had to choose, I would take Timmy. In my opinion, he's more dominant in the paint scoring.

But as i stated before, u could go either way. D Rob could very well be the most GIFTED (skills and athletic ability combined) big man physically ever at center along with Wilt. And even when compared to Wilt, David could step out on the perimeter and dominate from the midrange area.
    Last edited by bizil; 02-23-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Would David Robinson even agree to this?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I think u could go either way on this one. But for me, I dig Duncan's dominance on the block both offensively and defensively. Plus he was a very skilled 7 footer in terms of midrange shooting, dribbling, and passing just like David. The main difference between the two is David's freak athletic ability. However if I had to choose, I would take Timmy. In my opinion, he's more dominant in the paint. But as i stated before, u could go either way.
    Ugh...don't you ever have any stones or fire to you, boy? Every post you make, makes me feel like you are trying so hard not to offend anyone...it's fcuking pathetic, lad. Future neg for being a pusscake.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Duncan is clearly the better player considering he's been elite both offensively and defensively his entire career, won five rings as a 1st/2nd option, and is arguably the greatest player since the Jordan era. I personally think David Robinson is the better defender though.

I would go Duncan>Robinson but Robinson was no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Ugh...don't you ever have any stones or fire to you, boy? Every post you make, makes me feel like you are trying so hard not to offend anyone...it's fcuking pathetic, lad.
    U are entitled to your opinion. But I'm also entitled to say **** YOUR OPINION!! I CLEARLY said I prefer Timmy! But Im giving D Rob props too. If u are to simple minded to understand that then SKIP MY POSTS!! I write how I write so GO SUCK DICK and mind ya business!! Is that fire enough for u? I just told u to go suck dick!!
    Last edited by bizil; 02-23-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Very good NBA starter

I love Robinson (grew up watching him here in SA and chatted with him for 10-15 minutes a few years ago, nice guy), but give me TD. Better leader imo, more resilient in the face of adversity, was able to get more out of less, more reliable offense, maybe not as good a shot blocker but defensively they're very close. Robinson is top-20 no doubt though