Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2018, 07:08 PM   #16
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

Default Re: Trump on Saudi weapon sanctions - "I don't want to hurt jobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
He had US greencard. He was a permanent resident of USA on his way to becoming an US citizen. It absolutely matters.
Yes, Iím arguing that it matters.

Quote:
What would have happened had it been Iran or China or Syria instead of Saudi Arabia?
If?

Quote:
I highly doubt you would be saying what you are had it been Iran.
Judging by your response, I donít think you even understand what Iím saying.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #17
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Judging by your response, I donít think you even understand what Iím saying.

What are you saying then? I went by your quote that nobody cares they killed him. I'm saying it does matter and people should care.. including Trump

Quote:
Keep it real. Nobody actually cares that the Saudi government killed a Saudi. They kill their own citizens all the time in the most barbaric fashion for utterly frivolous offenses.

1. The only reason the media is interested in this is because the guy wrote columns for WaPo.

2. The substantive reason for caring about this is you canít tolerate the normalization of countries casually assassinating people in other countries.
bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
ScalsFan21
Atkinson Fam Head

Anytime a person justifies murder for money (and that's what this is, regardless of how large a contingent of people will look to justify it), I always think back to the right-wing icon Milton Friedman saying with a straight face that Ford was within their rights not to disclose the fatal dangers of a product in order to make more money.

Dat invisible hand hard at work doe.

I seriously wonder though, what would Trump say if you asked him "what do you hope your legacy will be?" I've never heard him asked any of those sorts of questions, but I doubt his answer would even be coherent. At his hollow core, he didn't get into politics to solve anything. No one who has said/done the things that he has throughout his life actually cares about America, or the world, or people, or anything other than himself.
ScalsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #19
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
Anytime a person justifies murder for money (and that's what this is, regardless of how large a contingent of people will look to justify it), I always think back to the right-wing icon Milton Friedman saying with a straight face that Ford was within their rights not to disclose the fatal dangers of a product in order to make more money.

Dat invisible hand hard at work doe.

I seriously wonder though, what would Trump say if you asked him "what do you hope your legacy will be?" I've never heard him asked any of those sorts of questions, but I doubt his answer would even be coherent. At his hollow core, he didn't get into politics to solve anything. No one who has said/done the things that he has throughout his life actually cares about America, or the world, or people, or anything other than himself.

You completely misunderstood what Milton Friedman was saying there if that's what you think.

Why do people still buy cars then and not massive trucks? He was talking about level of risks that individuals are willing to take. Should we not be driving at all then just to safe a human life?

The legacy question is seriously a vague, feel good question to ask. Who cares? I thought you were against moral platitudes and in favor of actions?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 PM   #20
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Some day shit is gonna go down in the middle east so pepper your Angus. I dunno how I feel but that's the truth. Mad people are gonna die. Is it better in the end who knows. Have we outgrown war.. Because that's what people act like, we've outgrown actual busting the ass of a big/powerful country and making them change their ways, or that everything is too interconnected for anything to actually go down.

Like dude said we could go in and smash all of these dudes and fix all of our problems. Downside is.... A shit load of people would die in "ww3." remember we used nukes on people. We are just as savage as anyone, but that's neither here nor there. Not making a moral judgment on war, but just saying if Trump doesn't do shit OK. And we dunno what we might do, we might go in and secretly kill some people.

I dunno we're in super volatile times imo I wouldn't be wishing for aggressive action, even tho me personally I'm down for whatever. I'm not gonna get drafted or sign up but if we think we gotta go in on someone, I say do it. I say dudes who signed up for the military knew that was possible and probably want it if it's in our country's best interests. But who knows.

Edit: trumps answer would be to be seen as a great president. He wants to change us, maybe to suit his own needs but if they align with what we want then eh. No doubt Trump cares a lot about his legacy tho, as both a person and a pres. And I'm not even one of those Trump is a hardcore narcissist people. It's v obvious he wants to be remembered fondly.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #21
ScalsFan21
Atkinson Fam Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
You completely misunderstood what Milton Friedman was saying there if that's what you think.

Why do people still buy cars then and not massive trucks? He was talking about level of risks that individuals are willing to take. Should we not be driving at all then just to safe a human life?

The legacy question is seriously a vague, feel good question to ask. Who cares? I thought you were against moral platitudes and in favor of actions?

Oh I know the bigger point he was trying to make. Sort of like me saying that healthcare should be a right, which is more a symbolic phrase than anything. If I or anyone else were to say that single-payer healthcare would magically still be worth it if it forced us to cease any other spending, we'd be wrong for obvious reasons. Almost everything is relative, to some extent, even when it's not politically correct to say so.

It has been awhile since I saw that Milton/Michael Moore clip, but my understanding has been that Friedman did indicate that Ford would not necessarily be acting in an immoral way to (actively or tacitly) suppress information from the public about the safety of its products. And if so, I think that's barbaric. Just like it was when tobacco was running rampant with the same shit. I will take another look at the exchange later tonight, though.

But in a nutshell, my qualm with what Milton was saying is that he seemed to act like the lack of transparency by the company was NBD, not just the fact that he was okay with Ford releasing a potentially deadly car.

(Watching it again now; I think Friedman may have missed the original point about transparency because Moore articulated it poorly... Moore was initially talking about the gas tanks exploding and killing people in rear-end accidents, and eventually Milton did concede that point was suspect. No one sane would argue that all cars must be equally safe, but all risks should be disclosed in advance. I don't agree with Friedman that the courts are the only role government should play in that, but his stance is pretty clear.)

Last edited by ScalsFan21 : 10-15-2018 at 02:47 PM.
ScalsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
SomeBlackDude
Good college starter

international embarrassment

Quote:
Abby D. Phillip
@abbydphillip

Trump is talking to reporters on the WH lawn right now and saying repeatedly that the Saudi's are denying killing Khashoggi. He also suggests it could have been "rogue killers" per pooler.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
‏@realDonaldTrump

Just spoke to the King of Saudi Arabia who denies any knowledge of whatever may have happened ďto our Saudi Arabian citizen.Ē He said that they are working closely with Turkey to find answer. I am immediately sending our Secretary of State to meet with King!

Quote:
Brian Stelter
‏@brianstelter

Just in from @clarissaward and @TimListerCNN: "According to two sources, the Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey..."
Brian Stelter
@brianstelter

More from Ward and Lister's @CNN report: "One source says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible."
SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #23
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude

So the new narrative is that his death was the result of an "interrogation" by rogue actors gone awry, that Salman knew nothing about any of this, and that those who perpetrated the crime will be held responsible.

Last edited by MaxFly : 10-15-2018 at 05:04 PM.
MaxFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #24
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

Trump believes anything he is told

Putin told the moron they had no involvement in the US election. Moron believes him over all of our intelligence agencies, publicly attacking our own agencies in front of Putin. Guy is a complete idiot of a President.
bladefd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #25
SomeBlackDude
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Trump believes anything he is told

Putin told the moron they had no involvement in the US election. Moron believes him over all of our intelligence agencies, publicly attacking our own agencies in front of Putin. Guy is a complete idiot of a President.

let's just pray that no 'nigerian princes' offer him an inheritance in exchange for a donation from the treasury.

"but he said it very powerfully- his dad was the former king of nigeria. he needed my great brain to get his inheritance. strong brain. one of the smartest of all time. according to many people."
SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #26
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
let's just pray that no 'nigerian princes' offer him an inheritance in exchange for a donation from the treasury.

"but he said it very powerfully- his dad was the former king of nigeria. he needed my great brain to get his inheritance. strong brain. one of the smartest of all time. according to many people."

"... said he also had proof that Obama was born in Nigeria, not Kenya. Very trustworthy person."
MaxFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #27
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

The idea that it was “rogue killers” is less believable than KSA being completely innocent.

It’s also not believable that they would have accidentally killed him. Like, as if they would just happen to have dismemberment tools lying around at their consulate. No, this was OBVIOUSLY a planned hit.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #28
KiiiiNG
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzy

Bro, you coming over for the Lakers opener BBQ on Thurs?
You see my text?
KiiiiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #29
LA Lakers
High School Varsity 6th Man

Does anyone believe a word that Trump says? His supporters don’t care how much he lies or what he even believes in, if he believes in anything besides ratings and scamming to make a buck. He’s like a cult leader. I like how he pretends to hate China but meanwhile he has like a hundred registered trademarks in China. If he told his supporters we were actually living on Neptune they’d believe it. Surreal times. Imagine a world in which the far right, Christian bible thumpers hear a secret audio recording of Obama bragging about grabbing beautiful white women by their genitalia? They’d have been burning crosses on the White House lawn. I could go on and on. But yeah. Now that the Koch Bros run the White House, The Congress and the Court expect the rich to get richer and the planet to suffer.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: