Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #16
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The demise of Boxing and the NBA

When I hear an actual boxing or NBA fan say these sports are declining and give good reason, then I'd see something to worry about. It's all bogus. There's a reason Boxing has been around way longer than MMA. It's because boxing is a better idea for a fighting sport. Mano e mano, toe to toe, two guys throwing down using their hands, like men are supposed to.

Like I said before in a topic long ago. When I watch boxing, I know I am watching the best boxers in the world. When I watch MMA I am not so sure if these are the best martial artist in the world. There is some little Chinese guy somewhere in the world who would literally kill any of those MMA athletes.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #17
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
When I hear an actual boxing or NBA fan say these sports are declining and give good reason, then I'd see something to worry about.
here are 3 legit reasons why boxing is going downhill:

they were talking about the death of boxing today on the radio and they blamed it on a number of things...

1. there are no decent heavyweights...that is the biggest problem. It isn't like the good old days of Tyson/Holyfeild/Lewis/Bowe/Foreman/ect....there are simply no good heavyweight fighters to watch

2. there is no clear champ or winner anymore....it seems like every single boxer has a belt of some kind...they need to make ONE belt, ONE champ, period....most people are clueless to who the champ is of any weight class

3. the UFC...alot of fans moved on to the octagon and left boxing behind. I personally find boxing much more exciting than two guys in underwear rolling around on the ground for 30 minutes and end with 5 seconds of decent action.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
1. there are no decent heavyweights...that is the biggest problem. It isn't like the good old days of Tyson/Holyfeild/Lewis/Bowe/Foreman/ect....there are simply no good heavyweight fighters to watch
Yesteryears big men were naturally big. Today's big men are workout freaks with no free range of motion. You won't ever see a artistically beautiful heavywieght fight ever again. Those same meat heads are in the MMA passing for good entertainment
Quote:
2. there is no clear champ or winner anymore....it seems like every single boxer has a belt of some kind...they need to make ONE belt, ONE champ, period....most people are clueless to who the champ is of any weight class
The middleweight divsion is the new heavy. I don't know anything about every boxer having a belt of some kind. Sounds like something a casual would say.
Quote:
3. the UFC...alot of fans moved on to the octagon and left boxing behind. I personally find boxing much more exciting than two guys in underwear rolling around on the ground for 30 minutes and end with 5 seconds of decent action.
Sounds like a personal problem to me.I came on to boxing in the Mike Tyson era. When there was no more Mike there was Reddick Bowe, annd Pernell Whitaker, When they fell off I got into Roy Jones, Now Roy is out of the picture I like Mayweather, Miguel Cotto, Marco Antonio Barrera, Will Allen. I had no problem staying interested in Boxing. Maybe it has something to do with me not being a bandwagon jumper or a fairweather fan.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
deion2123
High school junior varsity star

deion2123 has an OK reputation so far

boxing is boring because Mayweather has a boring style and just does enough to win and not impress the fans...Oscar is washed up and puts on dull big fights
deion2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by deion2123
boxing is boring because Mayweather has a boring style and just does enough to win and not impress the fans...Oscar is washed up and puts on dull big fights
THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. THE WHOLE ENTIRE SPORT OF BOXING IS BORING BECAUSE MAYWEATHER IS BORING. AND MAYWEATHER IS BORING BECAUSE HE DOESN'T GET HIT TOO MUCH?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #21
-primetime-

Quote:
Yesteryears big men were naturally big. Today's big men are workout freaks with no free range of motion. You won't ever see a artistically beautiful heavywieght fight ever again. Those same meat heads are in the MMA passing for good entertainment
so you agree there are no more good heavyweights then...

well there you go...that is a reason boxing is going downhill

if Oscar and Mayweather is the best boxing has to offer us then it is simply not as interesting as it used to be...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #22
0ne50
Local High School Star

There is no good heavyweight? Klitzco is a damn good heavyweight, I'm just not a big fan of his. For some odd reason these day people that big are genrally not in the best of shape health wise. Like I said those same unstable behemouth passes for good entertainment in the MMA. Boxing fans know better than to think the HW division is in top form.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #23
-primetime-

Quote:
Boxing fans know better than to think the HW division is in top form.
we know it isn't....it sucks, that is my piont, and that is why boxing is going downhill.

Shannon Briggs is a heavyweight champ and he just plain sucks
Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #24
0ne50
Local High School Star

You must think that HW is supposed to be the most skilled division. That's the reason for P4P rankings, to show the fans where to look for the best boxer in the sport, or atleast give them some sort of idea.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #25
-primetime-

Quote:
You must think that HW is supposed to be the most skilled division.

I don't think it is the most skilled....I think it is the most entertaining
Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 AM   #26
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
they were talking about the death of boxing today on the radio and they blamed it on a number of things...

4. Lack of exposure on national television. No casual sports fan will pay 50 bucks to see a PPV fight. Boxing needs to get back onto mainstream television, like it used to be in the 70's and 80's. One or two Wednesday or Friday Night Fights a month on ESPN2 isn't enough. You can't even follow boxing anymore if you don't have HBO/Showtime. And when it actually does come on TV, it's two bums you don't give a shyt about. Boxing promoters need to stop being so greedy and give back to the fans

Last edited by Xplicit : 05-08-2007 at 01:51 AM.
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 AM   #27
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit
4. Lack of exposure on national television. No casual sports fan will pay 50 bucks to see a PPV fight. Boxing needs to get back onto mainstream television, like it used to be in the 70's and 80's. One or two Wednesday or Friday Night Fights a month on ESPN2 isn't enough. You can't even follow boxing anymore if you don't have HBO/Showtime. And when it actually does come on TV, it's two bums you don't give a shyt about. Boxing promoters need to stop being so greedy and give back to the fans
That's a valid one.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 AM   #28
0ne50
Local High School Star

Today I was tempted to conjure memmories of the boxing match between Castillo and Corrales May 7, 2005 in this thread. On May 7, 2007 Diego Coralles died in a Motorcycle accident. Diego Corrales (August 25, 1977 - May 7, 2007) was a former super featherweight and lightweight world boxing champion. "Chico" had a professional record of 40-5-0, with 33 wins coming by way of knockout.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 AM   #29
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Today I was tempted to conjure memmories of the boxing match between Castillo and Corrales May 7, 2005 in this thread. On May 7, 2007 Diego Coralles died in a Motorcycle accident. Diego Corrales (August 25, 1977 - May 7, 2007) was a former super featherweight and lightweight world boxing champion. "Chico" had a professional record of 40-5-0, with 33 wins coming by way of knockout.

Holy crap.. I just noticed that! That's freaky Died on the same day as arguably the biggest win of his career
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: