Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
       

Default Re: French Open 2013

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Nadal would have over 20 GS if Roger Federer didn't exist... and the same can be said for Federer (Even though he is only 3 off from 20, that's why he is the GOAT).

Nadal would probably have near 15 GS if it weren't for Novak discovering steroids.
    laver would have had over 20 GS if he'd merely been allowed to compete in them during his prime! but his all-time tournament wins still makes him my GOAT, not federer.

I think that nadals existence has hampered Feds slam count more than feds existence has hampered nadals.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    I think that nadals existence has hampered Feds slam count more than feds existence has hampered nadals.
    definitely. nadals beat fed in a lot more finals than vice versa. plus federer has been good enough to get to the french open finals often. its just that when he sees nadal on the other side, he is mentally shook. how do you explain him getting to the finals and losing in 3 sets winning 3-4 games only?

you dont go from good enough to beat everyone before the finals, to getting your ass handed to you so badly in the finals just like that. its just a mental edge nadals had on him i guess. even when fed was dominating everything, it was nadal beating him in the french open.

It's a matchup issue. That said the fed man is in a lil trouble right now

NUGGETS ALL THE WAY Mr Clutch Melo's Avatar

Simon playing good tennis

   

It's a matchup issue. That said the fed man is in a lil trouble right now
    good to see at least one person here who understands the issue! the popular idea that federer is somehow intimidated by nadal is simply ludicrous IMO.

Btw the one thing I'd say about laver is that 3 of the 4 slams were on grass in his day. He simply didn't have to play on multiple surfaces.

As for fed va rafa, the biggest issue outside of the matchup issues that rafa entails for fed isn't rafa being in Feds head, it's Feds arrogance(which is one of the reasons that fed has been as dominant as he has been against everyone else)

   

Btw the one thing I'd say about laver is that 3 of the 4 slams were on grass in his day. He simply didn't have to play on multiple surfaces.
    laver's record-setting number of tournament wins were played across all surfaces. whatever he played on, he had tremendous success on. grand slams weren't exactly the top event of his day either IIRC, but he dominated pretty much equally across all the top events.

As for fed va rafa, the biggest issue outside of the matchup issues that rafa entails for fed isn't rafa being in Feds head, it's Feds arrogance(which is one of the reasons that fed has been as dominant as he has been against everyone else)
    haha, guess we're not in agreement after all!

when i read some analysis of the issue by former pros, it confirmed for me my own experience against heavy topspinners -- it tends to get you thinking too much and playing less and less fluidly, which is murder when your game is based on fluidity and command, ala roger.

at first you start out in form, playing naturally, but the heavy topspin keeps magnifying your mistakes... the balls arc differently, they land differently, their speed and arc changes again as soon as they touch down, the timing of hitting them is unusual and you need to spend much more effort controlling them and less, playing your own game. any little mistakes you make tend to be magnified, which is disconcerting and demoralising at any level. then as the mistakes pile up, you start to spend more and more time in your head trying to make adjustments and less and less imposing your will. simply put, it's a style that breaks down players who are otherwise of comparable skill.

i've never seen a shred of evidence that federer either underestimated or was intimidated by nadal. you don't accomplish what he did by doing that against anyone. styles makes fights and the right matchup allows an underplayer to beat an overplayer all the time across all sports. it's as simple as that IMO. nadal's style on clay was simply too much for even federer to handle.

David Ferrer has been on CRUISE control. He's into the quarters after dismantling Kevin Anderson 6-3 6-1 6-1. Ferrer has not dropped a set. Looks like my buddy and I might be pulling in $1200.

I agree, when I said that his arrogance caused the next biggest problem, what I meant was everyone knows Feds biggest and honestly only weakness is his backhand especially when it gets up above his shoulder. The thing is nobody but nadal is good enough to consistently get to his backhand. This is where Feds arrogance comes in. Fed always wants to dictate the match which makes sense because he's the greatest offensive tennis player of all time. Because of this fed always looks to be aggressive off of both wings. This is what has made him dangerous because while he will make errors off of his backhand he also hits winners. That being said nadals game is that you basically have to hit 2 or 3 winners to really get winners. With that being said fed would have been better off just pushing with his backhand and looking to be aggressive off the forehand but Feds pride never let him do that. That's what I meant about his arrogance, he could never let himself push, even off the weaker wing

   

ah, okay. i will have to rewatch one of their clay matches sometime and look for that specifically. makes sense, tho.

in MMA you spend months training specifically for your opponent. i wonder if fed did much of that for rafa. i wonder if he really had that luxury given the busyness of his schedule and th3 race to collect ranking pts? i could def see some arrogance sprinkled in there, tho. it prolly would have had to have been a winter thing thing tho, and maybe that was his precious family getaway time in the bahamas or something.

The success of the two Tommy's (Haas, and Robredo) has been the story of the open so far. So inspiring, though I expect Robredo's dream run to end against Ferrer.

Haas should be able to handle Youzhny.

Big time scare for Roger today. I know Fed has only owned Tsonga for the most part, but I have feeling Tsonga may beat him.

Regardless, whoever comes out of this side of draw won't beat Novak or Rafa anyway.

I also placed a $3 bet on Haas to win it all before the tourney started. Huge long shot but pays $1500 lol

Quarterfinals are set:

Top Half
    #1 Djokovic v. #12 Haas

#3 Nadal v. #9 Wawrinka

Bottom Half
    #32 Robredo v. #4 Ferrer

#6 Tsonga v. #2 Federer

Nadal's cake is ridiculously over the top.

i guess nothing is too over the top for the king of clay, no?