Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: JVG To The Wolves?

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/29/...return-to-nba/

Flip and JVG were BFF's ad his name came up a lot between him and Taylor...
    I love Van Gundy but man he is not the guy for developing young dudes. Trying to imagine Lavine playing for him is frightening. I love Lavine and think that he has really high potential but Van Gundy would have that guy buried at the end of the bench forever.

Decent playground baller

Interesting. I figured he did not want to coach ever again. Broadcaster seems like a much comfier gig.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror
    Interesting. I figured he did not want to coach ever again. Broadcaster seems like a much comfier gig.
    We went for the New Orleans job last year.

Jeff Van Gundy is a horrible coach.

He can't coach offense.

He can't make any adjustments.

He hates any young player or rookie with a burning hot passion. He would rather bench a a young player, than play him, even if it meant costing his job (happened in both the Knicks and Rockets).

He plays favorites to certain players for no reason, and will bring in "his guys", even if they absolutely suck and should not even be playing.

He will purposely bench players, even if they are good, that he didn't want the management of the team to sign, out of a power grudge.

He hates European players (won't fit with the Wolves).

He loves point guards that can't shoot (he will keep Rubio and get another PG just as bad as him).

He plays a small rotation in the regular season, and an even smaller one in the playoffs, and he loves to grind out possessions and burn out all of his players, until they are broken down, and their careers ruined through injuries (he's a Tom Thibodeau clone in that aspect).

He runs everything through pick and roll and screen and roll, and taking outside shots. He has nothing more in basketball knowledge on offense than that.

He is a good coach on defense, but he allows teams to take wide open 3 pointers all the time (won't work in modern basketball anywhere in the world).

He's a coach from a time warp. The game passed him by about 18 years ago.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 01-29-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Banned

Van Gundy is getting overrated.

He doesn't deserve both powers. I honestly wouldn't even give him a head coaching spot unless my team is in between rebuilding and contending, and if my team have no true identity.

I'd rather a vocal leader with experience in developing young players like Mark Jackson coach the Timberwolves.

Decent playground baller

I don't blame him for waiting for a sweet gig.