Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone here have any form of Synesthesia? (You might not know you do)

As far back as I can remember, peoples names were always a certain "color" to me. I remember this kid Connor in elementary school, I always thought "Connor" was yellow. Same thing with music. Some songs, are just a certain color. It's not something I can control. "Hotel California" was always red. "Many Men" by 50 cent was always blue. And not just ANY red or ANY blue. In my mind it's a certain distinct color, and the color NEVER changes. I first heard many men 9 years ago. The color is still the exact same.

Nowadays I don't get it with names as much. But I still do with music. Not with everyyy song, it's only certain ones. I'd say.. maybe 45% of every song I hear. Or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesth...ersonification

Synesthesia is a neurologically-based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[1][2][3][4] People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes.
    According to Richard Cytowic, sound → color synesthesia is "something like fireworks": voice, music, and assorted environmental sounds such as clattering dishes or dog barks trigger color and simple shapes that arise, move around, and then fade when the sound stimulus ends.[3] For some, the stimulus type is limited (e.g., music only, or even just a specific musical key); for others, a wide variety of sounds triggers synesthesia.
    In the rare lexical → gustatory synesthesia, individual words and the phonemes of spoken language evoke taste sensations in the mouth. According to James Wannerton, "Whenever I hear, read, or articulate (inner speech) words or word sounds, I experience an immediate and involuntary taste sensation on my tongue. These very specific taste associations never change and have remained the same for as long as I can remember."
    You guys ever heard of this? Anyone here have any form of Synesthesia?

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone here have any form of Synesthesia? (You might not know you do)

Hendrix had that.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone here have any form of Synesthesia? (You might not know you do)

Quote Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim
    Hendrix had that.
    ....are you saying that Joe needs to buy a guitar?

el pollo loco siiiiiii

aught

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

I've always had it when it comes to music. Certain songs have always had a color with them. Nice to know it's weird. Great.

I should also elaborate on the title. I said "you might not know you have it," because a lot of people never even second guess it. "Yea, some songs are certain colors, so what?" I always just figured it happened to everyone, until I started asking people "what color do you think this song is?" And got back icy glares. lol

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    ....are you saying that Joe needs to buy a guitar?
    haha

How bout this song. Anything?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

haha actually no i dont seem to have a color for that song. but i have madddd good memories attached to this song, so thanks for taking me down memory lane.

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

how's the shit work.

If you transpose a song is it a different color?

Quote Originally Posted by Abd El-Krim
    how's the shit work.

If you transpose a song is it a different color?
    not sure what you mean

   

i've heard of it. only know one person for sure who has it, and she's an online friend.

i suspect that a lot of people have some form of synesthesia, only mild cases. maybe with some form of training, though, the ability could be developed and expanded upon.

funny... we're very close to the limit for how far civilisation will ever go, yet we still know so little about the mind itself. but possibly civilisation itself gets in the way of that.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i've heard of it. only know one person for sure who has it, and she's an online friend.

i suspect that a lot of people have some form of synesthesia, only mild cases. maybe with some form of training, though, the ability could be developed and expanded upon.

funny... we're very close to the limit for how far civilisation will ever go, yet we still know so little about the mind itself. but possibly civilisation itself gets in the way of that.
    Totally, it's so wild, some of the weird things that go on with the human brain..

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

Yellow to me

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I don't get it. So you see the color yellow, or you think of yellow. Is everything you see in a yellow tint, or just like some yellow?
    For me it's more like.. the song itself IS yellow. Just the sound of it is YELLOW for some reason. As far as whether you see it/think of it/ etc.. I think it's more, you feel it.

To me it always just made sense that a song would be a color, lol, it's so weird that some people just don't have that. Like..."Comfortable" by Lil Wayne will forever be beige to me. LOL. Sounds so weird to say it out loud

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    As far back as I can remember, peoples names were always a certain "color" to me. I remember this kid Connor in elementary school, I always thought "Connor" was yellow. Same thing with music. Some songs, are just a certain color. It's not something I can control. "Hotel California" was always red. "Many Men" by 50 cent was always blue. And not just ANY red or ANY blue. In my mind it's a certain distinct color, and the color NEVER changes. I first heard many men 9 years ago. The color is still the exact same.

Nowadays I don't get it with names as much. But I still do with music. Not with everyyy song, it's only certain ones. I'd say.. maybe 45% of every song I hear. Or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesth...ersonification

You guys ever heard of this? Anyone here have any form of Synesthesia?
    knew OP was mental! Ha, just kidding. sort of