Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,147
DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Game 3 adjustments : bench Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
I know running down the clock is the "usually" the proper thing to do and is just one of the strategy but not the only strategy. Thus, I wouldn't say standard to all team strategy. Kenny Smith is the one who pointed out that it would have been wiser to not run down the clock so they get more chance especially when trailing. If the retired NBA guy said it, then I don't think it standard to everyone playing style.

By mathematic and statistic reasoning, one would get better chance or possibly more opportunity by not running down the clock especially when you suddenly fall flat, not a great team at transitioning offense, not matching energy, trailing behind, and not shooting very hot on that day. Sure he can keep doing it, but this year, Kobe's clutch shot is like 1/5 or 1/6...so it is not very high percentage. If not very high, why gamble on that 20-23% chance of making it? I think outcome would have been better if he attack a little early or attack the paint like you said. If he miss, they still have second chance if they got the rebound. When all else fail, just play the foul game and force them to earn them on FT.

Attacking the paint isn't necessarily an automatic score for Kobe either as their defense is still pretty good. What's more is that everybody (defender and even us fans) knows Kobe wants to be the one shooting it and expected to pass the ball to him so they will heavily guard him and it won't be cakewalk. Game is almost predictable in the last few min now day in where the ball will go to whenever Kobe screwup and trailed behind. All defenders can make a pretty good prediction who will get the ball.

Also, on MB, there were many pissed off times where I just don't get him either...oh well maybe he won't be there next season either.

To make this clear (which I didn't) I was talking about the earlier possessions not the final possession. On the final possession I was very highly in favor of taking a shot early because we were only down by 1 point, I was actually pissed that at that moment they held the ball on the last possession.

I would NEVER have a scrub player take a shot in a close game with less than 3 minutes left.......this is why I don't lose close games, stars are stars for a reason. If he was a specialist type shooter then YES he could shoot......but he's no Steve Kerr.....he's not even Kyle Korver Right now his shooting is more like Luke Walton
I was very pissed at the 3 Blake took and missed before the last shot too.
Right after he missed, Durant hit a 3......see, it was All-Star vs. Scrub.......this is how games are lost. Ball has to be only Kobe, Pau, Bynum at that point for all shots......but you have to actually be capable of running plays to get the ball into the right spots.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,936
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Game 3 adjustments : bench Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
To make this clear (which I didn't) I was talking about the earlier possessions not the final possession. On the final possession I was very highly in favor of taking a shot early because we were only down by 1 point, I was actually pissed that at that moment they held the ball on the last possession.

I would NEVER have a scrub player take a shot in a close game with less than 3 minutes left.......this is why I don't lose close games, stars are stars for a reason. If he was a specialist type shooter then YES he could shoot......but he's no Steve Kerr.....he's not even Kyle Korver Right now his shooting is more like Luke Walton
I was very pissed at the 3 Blake took and missed before the last shot too.
Right after he missed, Durant hit a 3......see, it was All-Star vs. Scrub.......this is how games are lost. Ball has to be only Kobe, Pau, Bynum at that point for all shots......but you have to actually be capable of running plays to get the ball into the right spots.

Sometimes its out of your control. Steve Kerr thought it was a great shot. Other shows on AM 710 thought it was a great shot. One of the things they said was "When a coach draws up a play at the end of the game, most of the time, it doesn't really happen".

Everyone knew that Kobe was the first priority. Russel westbrook sagged so much off Blake that his shot was wide open. While he's not a great shooter...hes an Okay shooter. That shot COULD have went in.

Besides, with Kobe's airball a minute earlier...I doubt he's "hot" enough to make the last shot.

I have a better idea....can we just win by 7 next time? loool
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,147
DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Game 3 adjustments : bench Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Sometimes its out of your control. Steve Kerr thought it was a great shot. Other shows on AM 710 thought it was a great shot. One of the things they said was "When a coach draws up a play at the end of the game, most of the time, it doesn't really happen".

Everyone knew that Kobe was the first priority. Russel westbrook sagged so much off Blake that his shot was wide open. While he's not a great shooter...hes an Okay shooter. That shot COULD have went in.

Besides, with Kobe's airball a minute earlier...I doubt he's "hot" enough to make the last shot.

I have a better idea....can we just win by 7 next time? loool

Steve Kerr would've made that shot so yeah, he says it was a good shot

Come on, how many times have we seen a cold Kobe hit big shots.....Blake wasn't hot, he was 1 for 4. I'll take a double contested Kobe shot for the win over one wide open from Blake any day.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,936
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Game 3 adjustments : bench Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Steve Kerr would've made that shot so yeah, he says it was a good shot

Come on, how many times have we seen a cold Kobe hit big shots.....Blake wasn't hot, he was 1 for 4. I'll take a double contested Kobe shot for the win over one wide open from Blake any day.

You sure about that? Kobe has missed many of those :/

Im getting really pissed off reading some of these twitter comments against Steve Blake. Kobe missed a bunch, Derek missed some, Shaq would miss free throws to put games away. Why all the sudden when Blake misses a shot, he gets death threats? This is really rubbing me the wrong way.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,147
DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Game 3 adjustments : bench Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
You sure about that? Kobe has missed many of those :/

Im getting really pissed off reading some of these twitter comments against Steve Blake. Kobe missed a bunch, Derek missed some, Shaq would miss free throws to put games away. Why all the sudden when Blake misses a shot, he gets death threats? This is really rubbing me the wrong way.

I wish they would catch the person or people making those threats and lock them away UNDER the prison.....permanently!!!
I haven't read a single comment, nor will I, just like I don't read the words of any group I consider evil. Life is to short to waste time hating

End of game shots are tough, you have to have someone who is willing to take the shot with icewater in their veins, not feeling the pressure.
Horry was great because he didn't care....in a good way, he knew it was just a basketball game, knew that life would go on, knew that he was a good shooter and thought the whole thing was fun. Now Lebron on the other hand

Blake is just not that guy.....gee if only we had Fish........I mean YOUNG Fish .......hey wasn't Adam Morrison supposed to......
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth
 
Crown&Coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LAnd of the Lost
Posts: 3,877
Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board
Default Re: Game 3 adjustments : bench Kobe



that would be equivalent to the Giants benching Eli Manning in favor of...... whoever the hell is their backup, David Carr was it?

lets trot Godlock or Barnes out there
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
BØBØ
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 1,906
BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board
Default Re: Game 3 adjustments : bench Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke


^ Pretty much says it all
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy