Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: Derrick Rose named the 2011 MVP

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    congrats To The Worst Player In Nba History To Ever Win A Mvp..... A Shotjacking "pointguard" And A Player Not Any Better Than Westbrook............

Serious playground baller

Default Re: I hate to say it but Rose is the worst MVP winner of all time

At least 26-7-7 and 50% shooting, AGAIN. Year in and out hes the best player and scores at a super-efficient rate, unlike rose/kobe, is an incredible passer and hes not even a PG, the guy is top 10 in dimes every year, and he carries teams of scrubs deep into the playoffs every year. This year he finally has a good cast, and hes into the second round and rolling.

Youre hating if you dont think hes the best player in the NBA.

Rose is the worst winner in the last ten years for sure, although Nash could give him a run for his money. Sadly Rose did get this award because he is the only player that it could have been given to. LeBron and Wade took themselves out of the race, Kobe/Dirk/Dwight/CP3 didn't have the records. ROSE WAS THE ONLY CHOICE FFS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    OP is right and I disagree that he deserved it.

Why did he deserve it? His regular stats, his adjusted stats, and simply comparing him to other players like Lebron and Howard, nothing indicates that he was the best player in the league.

The Bulls were a good regular season team because they played hard, they played as a team, they played defense etc. Derrick Rose had a great year, but the reason he was selected MVP is because the writers and the fans just pick one player from each team to give all the credit since they dont want to bother dissect any complexities.

The reason the writers do the "best player on the best team" thing is because they're lazy. They dont even watch many games, and when they do they dont even understand what they're watching. So at the end of the season when its time for an MVP vote they make it easy for themselves by just voting "best player on best team"

there is no way rose is the best player in the league, probably not even in the top 5. lebron, howard, dirk all had better claims, others probably did too.
    Rose is not the best player in the league? True.

The reason of Bulls success is also due to their team-defense, hard-work..etc etc? Also true.

But for me, that doesnt take away the fact that Derrick Rose has been MVP-worthy this year.

Look im not going to knock on people if they chose Howard or Lebron, because they clearly have a legit case too. Thing is, the 2010-2011 season has been one of the most "open" ones in terms of MVP candidates, there is no clear-cut winner this season, and that makes it hard for everybody to clarify an MVP winner that people can agree with.

It depends on the criteria you chose to hand out this individual trophy.

Should it be given to the best player in the league no matter what their record is? Then Steve Nash, Allen Iverson or Dirk Nowitzki do not deserve their MVPs. And Shaq should have at least 3 or 4, Kobe should have won it in 2006...etc etc.

Should it be given to the best player playing for the best team? Then people should be talking about Garnett in 2008, Nowitzki in 2007...or hell, even Ginobili this season (although this would be totally undeserved).

The MVP is turning more and more into a popularity contest. There is no clear definition and criteria of what this trophy should be. Some years its handed out to the best player playing for the best team, others its given to the most surprising superstar, others the one that made his team play the best...etc etc.

Its true Bulls defense is awesome, but this same team would suck balls on offense if not for Rose. I mean, all the players (even Carlos Boozer) playing for Chicago struggle to create their own shot. Not to mention the amount of clutch-shots and clutch-moments d-rose has had this season (this factor takes Lebron out of the candidates in my opinion, despite being the superior player).

I dont want to write a whole essay on the subject (although im already doing it...), my conclussion is: this has been a very open year for MVP candidates and since there is no clear definition/criteria for the final decision, I wont knock on people if they chose Howard or Lebron, or even Wade.

But my opinion is Rose deserves it, not saying he is the clear winner, but he definetely deserves it.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspynchon
    He took a shit team whose 2nd option would be the Lakers' 7th best player to 67 wins.
    Who had 67 wins?

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ4MVP23
    At least 26-7-7 and 50% shooting, AGAIN. Year in and out hes the best player and scores at a super-efficient rate, unlike rose/kobe, is an incredible passer and hes not even a PG, the guy is top 10 in dimes every year, and he carries teams of scrubs deep into the playoffs every year. This year he finally has a good cast, and hes into the second round and rolling.

Youre hating if you dont think hes the best player in the NBA.
    I hated LeBron for what he did to my team, and how he did it, but now I couldn't care less. I am enjoying watching a great player, and LeBron has been the best in the NBA for 4 years at least. That's longer than Kobe, longer than Duncan (never really was imo, maybe one season, mind you he was fantastic, but SHaq was always better). People forget that LeBron is 26 and not even in his prime yet.

Local High School Star

Definitely.

Gary Payton, John Stockton, Isiah Thomas, pre-injury CP3 were all vastly superior point guards. None of them ever won MVP and only one of them was ever a serious MVP candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspynchon
    He took a shit team whose 2nd option would be the Lakers' 7th best player to 67 wins.
    Josh Howard was an All Star that season.

19ppg and nearly 7 rebounds is a 7th option

and then the Mavs have Stackhouse off the bench and Jason Terry.

whatever. this is a good team.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DAL/2007.html

Banned

If the trophy was handed out based on the literal meaning of the words: "Most Valuable Player", the clear winner would be Dwight Howard. No other guy in the league affects his team on both sides of the floor the way he does .

But yet again, team record should count too. Otherwise Wade would have won in 2009, Kobe in 2006...etc etc.

Problem is there is no clear criteria for this thing, as it has been proven through-out the history of the league.

So Rose is worthy of it, not clearly worth it, but he has a very legit case. Just like Iverson in 01 or Nash in both 05 and 06.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ4MVP23
    Hes shooting sub 36% for the playoffs, i know i know, its a regular season award.

Lets look at the facts, hes AT BEST the second best PG in the league, but really the third best. THats not even best player, thats third best at his position.

His team had the best record because of rebounding and defense. Rose is a subpar defender and offers nothing in rebounding. Yes he can close out games, but his advanced statistics demonstrate how much LESS he contributes than other superstars to his team. And if you watch the games, yes rose is incredible, easily a top 10 player, but do you want an MVP to be a top 10 player, or the top guy?

Also if you want to look at the award as value, not best player, then easily dirk or dwight. Dirk goes down and that team freefalls. Dwight was a MONSTER, and without him they dont even make the playoffs. Rose won the award because the Heat started 9-8 and people were hating on LBJ for going to Miami. Im ok with LBJ not getting it. He is by far the best player and his stats, on a new team that needed time to get chemistry, were still historic. Not run of the mill, good, or great. HISTORIC.

However, Dirk or Dwight deserved the MVP this year imo.
    People say Chicago wins it because of defense and rebounding which is only 2.5 differential with Miami . I find that funny because Miami and Boston have crazy experience, outstanding defense, 3 HOF's, way more experience, the Gigantic three, clutch shooters, get calls, guys that carried their teams to championships, while Chicago had a new coach, a new system, dealt with different rotations, no body else playing allstar ball and had a better record than the reigning MVP and last years' contender. If Rose isn't MVP then Lebron should give back last year's reward to Dwight or Dirk.

lebron humpers are pathetic,Rose deserves the mvp get over it.

College superstar

I think that people who are mentioning Nash as one of the worst MVPs are exaggerating things somewhat. Yes. I know that he is horrible defensively, but IMO at least one of his MVPs was warranted, and his situation was much different than Rose's this season. It's understood that the Bull's strongest assets as a team are defense and rebounding, areas that Rose probably contributed the least.

But the Suns, especially in '05, were horrible defensively just as Nash was as an individual player. So they won games because of their offense, and Nash was the most important player to their offense. Unlike Rose, Nash was the most important player to the facet of the game that was the reason his team won. I know about D'Antoni's uptempo system, but how many other pgs who have played for D'Antoni have led the league in assists? How many other D'Antoni coached teams have won 60 games?

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Dirk Nowitski.

Steve Nash.

2008 Kobe.

Rose is not worse than those players.
    Disagree with both Kobe and Nash.

Especially Nash, who completely turned the phoenix franchise around in the 2004-05 season. And Kobe had his best all-around season in 2008. A way better season than Rose had this year.

And Dirk played well during the 2006-07 season but choked in the playoffs. So I could agree with that.

1999 Karl Malone was a definite worse MVP than Rose this year.