Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: euroleague qtr finals

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    never said he would have gone, said he had the chance because barca wanted him. that doesnt mean he would have accepted.
    cska apart from the fact they play a shite league and that you would live in a pretty different city would have still been better than NBA.
    CSKA from next season will be in a league at least equal, if not better than the ACB. The Superleague ceases and the United League fully forms. The United League will be a damn strong league, to an unbiased observer it will be better than the ACB is, or no worse at least. Of course, Barcelona's weather or Moscow's weather? That would make it for me right there.

With that being said, if he did sign with CSKA (the contract was for 6 years and 20 million euros) he would have probably been moved this summer to another team. Because CSKA cut their budget down. They would not have kept a foreign player at that price. So if he stayed in Europe by going to CSKA he would probably be in a team like Olympiacos or something now.

Obviously the most logical team for him now is Barca if he returns to Europe. But then again I think we should not count out Real. Surely he will get more money from Real. Barca does not even need him truth be told. And don't forget a team like Olympiacos. They still don't have a starting SG that they really like. Halperin is a very good player but he's the biggest choker in history. So he's really more the backup type guy on a serious club.

Olympiacos could certainly spend more than Barca if they wanted to and Rudy is the exact type of player that Olympiacos likes.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 04-13-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

plus Rudy is not a big fan of barca! What's the superleague then? WHat teams will be involved?

Banned

plus Rudy is not a big fan of barca! What's the superleague then? WHat teams will be involved?
    The Superleague won't have the big Russian clubs playing as their primary league anymore. The first division Russian clubs will stop playing games in that league and will only play games in the United League.

The United League is one of Prokhorov's big projects. He has put about as much money into that project as he is with the Nets.

The teams so far that will be in the United League next year are:

1. CSKA Moscow
    2. Khimky Moscow Region
    3. Dynamo Moscow
    4. UNICS Kazan
    5. Triumph Lyubertsy
    6. Spartak Saint Petersburg
    7. Krasnie Samara
    8. Lokomotiv Kuban
    9. Enisey Kasnoyarsk
    10. Lietuvos Rytas
    11. Zalgiris Kaunas
    12. Prokom Gydnia

Rytas and Zalgiris will leave the Baltic League and instead focus on the United League. Prokom will also join. The basic format is the top division Russian clubs, plus the top Polish club, plus the top 2 Lithuanian clubs.

After next season, the league will then expand to 16 teams. The next 4 clubs will be made up of the Ukrainian champion, the Latvian champion, the Estonian champion, and either the second place Ukrainian team or Maccabi Tel Aviv. They are trying to get Maccabi into the league once it goes to the complete 16 clubs. If they can't get Maccabi then they will add the second place Ukrainian club.

They are still negotiating with Maccabi and last I heard it is 50/50 that they get them. The main interest of this is of course that Maccabi is a huge club that plays in a worthless league.

ULEB is partnering in this as it is part of their plan to divide up the basketball in Europe better and to place Euroleague and Eurocup spots more fairly. The United League would get 5 Euroleague places without Maccabi joining, and 6 if Maccabi did join. Then it would get 6 Eurocup places. It would also get either 3 or 4 EuroChallenge places, depending on whether Maccabi or the second placed Ukrainian club joined. Either way it would get 15 spots in European competitions.

The United League is also working on making a rule that clubs would have to have 5,000 arenas in order to compete, just like Spain is, and just like Italy and the Eurocup will be. Plus, the United League already has a big website with everything available in English, and a big sponsor in VTB Bank. In addition to that, the league already has a big TV deal lined up.

You are basically talking about a super version of the Adriatic League, or a better version of the old USSR league in a way. If they get Maccabi then no doubt it will be at least equal to the ACB in my mind. Even without Maccabi, it is right up there with the ACB and probably even stronger than the Greek A1.

Players from all over will be wanting to play in a league like that.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 04-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    The Superleague won't have the big Russian clubs playing as their primary league anymore. The first division Russian clubs will stop playing games in that league and will only play games in the United League.

The United League is one of Prokhorov's big projects. He has put about as much money into that project as he is with the Nets.

The teams so far that will be in the United League next year are:

1. CSKA Moscow
    2. Khimky Moscow Region
    3. Dynamo Moscow
    4. UNICS Kazan
    5. Triumph Lyubertsy
    6. Spartak Saint Petersburg
    7. Krasnie Samara
    8. Lokomotiv Kuban
    9. Enisey Kasnoyarsk
    10. Lietuvos Rytas
    11. Zalgiris Kaunas
    12. Prokom Gydnia

Rytas and Zalgiris will leave the Baltic League and instead focus on the United League. Prokom will also join. The basic format is the top division Russian clubs, plus the top Polish club, plus the top 2 Lithuanian clubs.

After next season, the league will then expand to 16 teams. The next 4 clubs will be made up of the Ukrainian champion, the Latvian champion, the Estonian champion, and either the second place Ukrainian team or Maccabi Tel Aviv. They are trying to get Maccabi into the league once it goes to the complete 16 clubs. If they can't get Maccabi then they will add the second place Ukrainian club.

They are still negotiating with Maccabi and last I heard it is 50/50 that they get them. The main interest of this is of course that Maccabi is a huge club that plays in a worthless league.

ULEB is partnering in this as it is part of their plan to divide up the basketball in Europe better and to place Euroleague and Eurocup spots more fairly. The United League would get 5 Euroleague places without Maccabi joining, and 6 if Maccabi did join. Then it would get 6 Eurocup places. It would also get either 3 or 4 EuroChallenge places, depending on whether Maccabi or the second placed Ukrainian club joined. Either way it would get 15 spots in European competitions.

The United League is also working on making a rule that clubs would have to have 5,000 arenas in order to compete, just like Spain is, and just like Italy and the Eurocup will be. Plus, the United League already has a big website with everything available in English, and a big sponsor in VTB Bank. In addition to that, the league already has a big TV deal lined up.

You are basically talking about a super version of the Adriatic League, or a better version of the old USSR league in a way. If they get Maccabi then no doubt it will be at least equal to the ACB in my mind. Even without Maccabi, it is right up there with the ACB and probably even stronger than the Greek A1.

Players from all over will be wanting to play in a league like that.
    sounds like a good idea. still think its not the strongest. Perhaps if the asians joined it would be. Lyetuvos and zalgiris have not been a force of late and prokom although they did well in the euroleague , really did it with a poor record, as they did last year. Still if they attract a lot of players then the likes of lyubertsy , khimki dynamo etc could become stronger teams. if this was the case , yes potentially this will be the strongest league

Banned

sounds like a good idea. still think its not the strongest. Perhaps if the asians joined it would be. Lyetuvos and zalgiris have not been a force of late and prokom although they did well in the euroleague , really did it with a poor record, as they did last year. Still if they attract a lot of players then the likes of lyubertsy , khimki dynamo etc could become stronger teams. if this was the case , yes potentially this will be the strongest league
    You overrate the ACB. For example Maroussi is better than Malaga, Valencia. We will see how Valencia and Bilbao do against Panellinios and ALBA. Basically, the ACB is rated too strong.

Khimki could probably finish 3rd in the ACB.

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

I hope Macccabi does leave for the United League. It would finally force israel to develop what it has. Israel has the "raw materials" and money for 2-4 respectable teams but there is always an excuse for not doing so. It won't happen because of the maccabi-government relations but it would be a step forward.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b.jerk
    I hope Macccabi does leave for the United League. It would finally force israel to develop what it has. Israel has the "raw materials" and money for 2-4 respectable teams but there is always an excuse for not doing so. It won't happen because of the maccabi-government relations but it would be a step forward.
    Hapoel Jerusalem will get their new big arena soon so that should help.

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Hapoel Jerusalem will get their new big arena soon so that should help.
    It's going to be more of the same as long as prospects can be paid more, have more security, and longevity with a college degree job. The only team that can pay people more is maccabi, the pay really isn't impressive and it's always a possibility that those guys can be cut for someone that will take that job.

You overrate the ACB. For example Maroussi is better than Malaga, Valencia. We will see how Valencia and Bilbao do against Panellinios and ALBA. Basically, the ACB is rated too strong.

Khimki could probably finish 3rd in the ACB.
    Valencia beat paellinios comfortably with De Colo injured in the 2nd half and are totally raping Alba in the finals.

Banned

Valencia beat paellinios comfortably with De Colo injured in the 2nd half and are totally raping Alba in the finals.
    Your point? A team like Maroussi is much better than Valencia. That's a 3rd Greek club that is better than a 4th Spanish club. Is Valencia better than Khimki? I seriously don't think so. That's a 2nd Russian club that is better than the 4th Spanish club.

The point is that the ACB is really overrated. People actually believe the worst team in the ACB would be 2nd in Russia or 3rd in Greece. You can't be objective when you overrate the league like that.

Valencia is a good team. But the fact is that the ACB is really overrated. There are Barca and Real that are very good. Then the level drops a lot to Baskonia and then drops to teams like Malaga and Valencia.

This is how people overrate the ACB so much. "Oh ACB club won Eurocup it proves it's way better than Greece or Russia" etc. Well Khimki or Maroussi would easily beat a team like Valencia.

So teams like Valencia are automatically considered very good to great tams just because they play in Spain, while teams like Khimki and Maroussi are automatically considered horrible teams because they play in Russia or Greece.

It's pretty comical and is just stupid. And really, after Malaga there is not an ACB club that can even compare to Valencia. The ACB is too overrated and all it does is insult some good clubs from elsewhere that never get any credit.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 04-18-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Your point? A team like Maroussi is much better than Valencia. That's a 3rd Greek club that is better than a 4th Spanish club. Is Valencia better than Khimki? I seriously don't think so. That's a 2nd Russian club that is better than the 4th Spanish club.

The point is that the ACB is really overrated. People actually believe the worst team in the ACB would be 2nd in Russia or 3rd in Greece. You can't be objective when you overrate the league like that.

Valencia is a good team. But the fact is that the ACB is really overrated. There are Barca and Real that are very good. Then the level drops a lot to Baskonia and then drops to teams like Malaga and Valencia.

This is how people overrate the ACB so much. "Oh ACB club won Eurocup it proves it's way better than Greece or Russia" etc. Well Khimki or Maroussi would easily beat a team like Valencia.

So teams like Valencia are automatically considered very good to great tams just because they play in Spain, while teams like Khimki and Maroussi are automatically considered horrible teams because they play in Russia or Greece.

It's pretty comical and is just stupid. And really, after Malaga there is not an ACB club that can even compare to Valencia. The ACB is too overrated and all it does is insult some good clubs from elsewhere that never get any credit.
    Was only answering your quote of we will see how Valencia do against panellinios. You are the one that seemed to give it importance. I think Valencia and a few other clubs in Spain would beat Khimki , yes. Khimki are not that good. Baskonia are going through a bad phase, partly because of Ivanovic's ineptitude, but they are a side that has had a great decade. I have never said Khimki or Maroussi are not good sides.Infact I always said there should be more russian teams in the Euroleague, when they only had 1. I have never heard anyone say that the last placed team in ACB would be 2nd or 3rd in the Russian or Greek league, simply because that is preposterous! of course there will always be people who overrate things aswell as people who underrate. The only league I give little credit to is the German! they have big fanbase, their stadiums fill up and they still have poor performances, like ALBA's in the final and like a couple of Brose basket embarrassing results in euroleague and eurocup over the last couple years.

Banned

Was only answering your quote of we will see how Valencia do against panellinios. You are the one that seemed to give it importance. I think Valencia and a few other clubs in Spain would beat Khimki , yes. Khimki are not that good. Baskonia are going through a bad phase, partly because of Ivanovic's ineptitude, but they are a side that has had a great decade. I have never said Khimki or Maroussi are not good sides.Infact I always said there should be more russian teams in the Euroleague, when they only had 1. I have never heard anyone say that the last placed team in ACB would be 2nd or 3rd in the Russian or Greek league, simply because that is preposterous! of course there will always be people who overrate things aswell as people who underrate. The only league I give little credit to is the German! they have big fanbase, their stadiums fill up and they still have poor performances, like ALBA's in the final and like a couple of Brose basket embarrassing results in euroleague and eurocup over the last couple years.
    OK. It's just that EVERY Spaniard I have talked to told me the last place ACB team would be 2nd in Russia or 3rd in Greece. I mean EVERY single one of them.

OK. It's just that EVERY Spaniard I have talked to told me the last place ACB team would be 2nd in Russia or 3rd in Greece. I mean EVERY single one of them.
    o.k maybe that is the case, but I am not spanish thats why ;)

Decent playground baller

Valencia will wipe the floor against Maroussi in a 7 game series

Maroussi lost against Barcelona in a crucial match for them, by a 30 points difference playing home

Valencia could never lose to Barca by 30 points

A border ACB playoff team like Bilbao, who currently is 11th in ACB, beat Panelinios.

In ACB, both Panelinios and Maroussi would be border playoff teams, with a great possibility of not even making them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hyman
    Valencia will wipe the floor against Maroussi in a 7 game series

Maroussi lost against Barcelona in a crucial match for them, by a 30 points difference playing home

Valencia could never lose to Barca by 30 points

A border ACB playoff team like Bilbao, who currently is 11th in ACB, beat Panelinios.

In ACB, both Panelinios and Maroussi would be border playoff teams, with a great possibility of not even making them
    Maroussi is way better than Valencia. You are the exact kind of Spaniard fan I am talking about. Completely delusional and unrealistic. Maroussi beat Panathinaikos, Olympiacos, played Barca within 10 on the road, won the season series against Partizan, they lost by CSKA only by a once in a lifetime miracle shot by Khryapa.

Maroussi is a much better team than Valencia and you are just talking the exact nonsense I am talking about. Spaniards have become Europe's version of NBA fans. Maroussi IS much better than Valencia. Maroussi is one of the 6-10 best teams in Europe.