Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Default Bonnell Speaks...

And boy is he an idiot. Well, nothing he said was that stupid, it's just that I (or anyone else on these boards) could have written this article a month ago and we probably would have given a much better analysis.

http://www.charlotte.com/508/story/272835.html
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Default Re: Bonnell Speaks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
And boy is he an idiot. Well, nothing he said was that stupid, it's just that I (or anyone else on these boards) could have written this article a month ago and we probably would have given a much better analysis.

http://www.charlotte.com/508/story/272835.html

Exactly. I really think the boy has been cut out.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I hate the fact that every time Bonnell posts an article, the first comments about it are "Rick's an idiot", or "Rick is stupid. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

Is there any basis on that? NO. Anyone who makes comments like that have nothing better to say. Sure, maybe they were hoping for an article with a little more substance but give the guy a freaking break. If you haven't noticed, the Cats haven't exactly been crowding the news wires.

Yes, I understand that the man doesn't post many articles. But guess what? It's the offseason. Not much going on. He posts a lot more during the season. Why? Because there's a lot going on. People need to get off his jock and calm down. Please let's not turn into the Observer people.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I hate the fact that every time Bonnell posts an article, the first comments about it are "Rick's an idiot", or "Rick is stupid. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

Is there any basis on that? NO. Anyone who makes comments like that have nothing better to say. Sure, maybe they were hoping for an article with a little more substance but give the guy a freaking break. If you haven't noticed, the Cats haven't exactly been crowding the news wires.

Yes, I understand that the man doesn't post many articles. But guess what? It's the offseason. Not much going on. He posts a lot more during the season. Why? Because there's a lot going on. People need to get off his jock and calm down. Please let's not turn into the Observer people.

There's a huge gap between calling Bonnell out for his lack of substance vs. going rascist or being a hate monger, which is what that blog (which I'm assuming you're referring to) always reverts to.

Bonnell rode BK's jock and there's no denying it. He put out that the team was unhappy with Felton and that we might possibly target Billups. After we waived Knight he actually quoted "someone close to Brevin" as saying we were going after Billups. When that didn't materialize it was "the UNC fans' fault"...yet another charge that Bonnell himself has made.

We hear later (from a Boston paper no less) that BK's value is down because of locker room issues. Is that a UNC fan conspiracy as well? Did you guys know that BK's nickname was Diablo because of his "volatile personality" until it was just reported?

He criticized any firings and insinuated that the team was cheap.

We get nothing from Bonnell in respect to summer league. We hear from "Sporting News" that Coach V is putting the onus on Felton and that he's getting him to call the other players to get the guys in early. Where is Bonnell and why didn't we hear that from him?

Why has he not talked to ONE player this offseason other than Knight?

As a comparison check out OregonLive and the articles they kick out almost daily about the Blazers. Put beside them Bonnell and the Observer SUCK. Any one of us could have kicked out this same exact article within a half hour.

Last edited by ~spectre~ : 09-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Comparing us to Portland is like comparing the popularity of UNC to East Carolina. Portland got the most highly touted prospect since Lebron, of course their media coverage is going to be greater.

I understand where your coming from, and yes, Bonnell is very biased in his reports, but I don't like the fact that the majority of the comments Bonnell's articles receive are about him, not the Bobcats. The article is about the Bobcats, not Rick Bonnell.

That is also why we have bobcatsbasketball.com, yahoo, espn, SI, and other sports websites to pick up any stray news that the Observer doesn't pick up.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Before I go any further I would like to say I totally agree with your take on the comments. I've actually considered trying to get a bunch of the diehards from the other sites to "take over" that blog from the ******. If Bonnell would even make an effort to give us real news or stuff that we'd actually like to read the idea might get a better reception.

BTW...wonder why he doesn't police his own blog? Why doesn't he ban those who type that crap?

I'm not comparing us to Portland; I'm comparing what the lone reporter for OregenLive (Swift I think) vs. our lone reporter in Bonnell. From my POV it's motivation in wanting to write about the team, and there's PLENTY he could write that a lot of us would just eat up...for example:

1) An interview with Felton. We know the boy lives in the gym and his role is being defined this year. Wouldn't it be nice to hear his thoughts, what he expects from the different players. Will Mek be one of his main focuses this year?

2) A talk with the dynamic duo. Have they talked together...had dinner together?

3) A phone call to Mek since he's been in Africa...did he work out in Hakeem's big man camp this year? What did he learn that was new? So far as I know Bonnell has NEVER touched on this except maybe a word that he did it.

4) Ammo! What's he been doing out west?

5) The rookies!!! Anyone think Duds or Davidson wouldn't love to sit down and talk to a reporter?

I could go on and on, but instead we get "McInnis signing for the vet minimum isn't bad" and "We'll miss BK or Voskuhl".

I would kill to have his job and actually get paid to do it. IMO he's been pitiful.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

I apologize to Timmeh and the rest of you for the fact that my post lacked any substance. The trust is I wanted to go through some of his points and what not but I had to hurry out of my house for lunch after I posted about the PER thing.

I agree that is it silly to bash him but I also am an ESPN Inside and everyday I look at the Rumors and Local section of the NBA page. If you don't know, all ESPN does on these pages is take articles from newspapers, blogs, etc... about teams and posts them. If it has something to do with a free-agent signing or trade or some other rumor, it goes to Rumors; if it is an opinion column, it goes to Local.

Anyways, I would say 7 out of 10 postings on these sites about the Bobcats come from somewhere other than the Observer. I would also say that the Gaston Gazette has the same or more postings than the Observer ... I see a problem there. I also think it is a problem that I see articles about the Nuggets, Mavericks, etc EVERY DAY when NONE of those teams have done anything this offseason and the Bobcats have done a fair amount. Yes, those are bigger markets but what does Bonnell get paid for?

Again, I apologize that my original post, nor this one for that matter, have any basketball substance. But I, and the rest of us, only post the way we do out of frustration. That plus the fact that I hate Bonnell b/c every time I email him asking an opinion or looking for a little more out of him, he is a huge A-hole.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

PS - I have a meeting to get to but I will post my response to the actual article later tonight or tomorrow. Also, it's not that far fetched to compare us to Portland. Pre-lottery, no one in the Northwest gave a darn about the NBA but that changed with the 1st and 2nd picks. However, we got a better player than either of them in JRich (better now, not later) and we got back our most popular player. I think that the increased membership to these forums (that includes my membership, along with spectre, Scorrison, etc) is a testament to the rise in popularity of the Cats.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I agree with you and no need to apologize. You had a valid point. Rick Bonnell is in a bind because of two things:

1) Charlotte, as of right now, still is not a basketball town. The whole town is still extremely bitter about the Hornets and are refusing to put trust in a new franchise. Can you blame them? They don't want to put their heart and soul into a franchise and then have them leave.

When you live in a town that isn't into it's franchise, it's hard to find the enthusiasm to post about them. As for policing his blog, I'm not sure why he doesn't. Maybe he likes the criticism?

2) Rick, like all media personalities, is biased. It's obvious that he wasn't a fan of Knight's. Most of his articles state the obvious, and are generally things we already know.

I've talked to Rick and he seems like a pretty good guy. Maybe that's why I'm defending him so much. I'd love to have his job. I'm already planning to go to college for Journalism, and I'd love to be a beat writer for the Cats. Yes, he could do a better job, but it's the offseason. If this is the kind of crap we get in the regular season, however, we'll all call for his head, mmkay?

I'm glad this didn't escalate into something horrendous and I'm glad this has been a civilized conversation. I may have responded a bit harshly and I apologize.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Heh, you guys are too nice!

Seriously, it's the only way I want to discuss the Bobcats and anything related. We're all pulling for the same thing and are all on the same side.

If my memory serves this offseason duplicated the year before last...pretty much a blackout so far as news, but Bonnell did himself justice after training camp and proceeded to put out a few good articles throughout the season.

He also just got elected to some higher office, so maybe that's taking up all his time?

I still think there's LOTS of room for improvement, and no matter how sour some from Charlotte are there are also plenty that would happily read any news he'd throw out there. Not to mention the more positive things he writes about our great up and coming team the more folks who'll give us a second look.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Q. So do the Bobcats reach the playoffs? Peg their chances at 45 percent. Richardson upgrades the talent, particularly down the stretch of close games. However, this isn't the only team in the East to improve itself; Boston and Orlando made bold, expensive moves.

On paper, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Boston and New Jersey should make the playoffs.

That means the Bobcats likely must finish no lower than second in their division to be the No. 8 seed. Are they a lock to finish second in a group that includes Miami, Washington and Orlando?

Don't think so.

I totally missed that last line before...Bonnell doesn't think we're making the playoffs!

IMO he's seriously overrating Orlando and like always is underrating Felton. I think we can top both Miami and Washington to take the division this year. The only teams I consider definitely better than us is Chicago and Detroit...and we always play Detroit well.

Course it's all opinion, and things like chemistry, health and the new coaching staff will play a part.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: