Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Kevin Durant admits he doesn't like chucking heaves

eh, even though its an incredibly low percentage shot, if it goes in.... you're helping your team (usually its 3pointer)

if it misses, the only thing it hurts is your percentage..

pretty selfish in the grand scheme of things

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Anyway you spin it, a player with Durant's scoring ability worrying about his %'s is a weakness in his game. The truth is, the Thunder would be better if Durant shot more, and everyone else shot less. If Thunder are going to win a title, it's going to be Durant that carries them there, not Ibaka, Martin, or Westbrook.
    lebron didnt worry about his %s earlier in his career, and he wasnt a particularly efficient scorer, and his teams weren't great offensively.

then he learned to value possessions, and value efficiency, and since his teams have become offensive juggernauts.

it certainly wasnt a weakness in lebrons game, it brought him to a whole new level offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    lebron didnt worry about his %s earlier in his career, and he wasnt a particularly efficient scorer, and his teams weren't great offensively.

then he learned to value possessions, and value efficiency, and since his teams have become offensive juggernauts.

it certainly wasnt a weakness in lebrons game, it brought him to a whole new level offensively.
    Too bad Durant doesn't have Lebron's passing skill, vision or IQ to do the same. So instead he should accept his role as a scoring machine and destroy teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Too bad Durant doesn't have Lebron's passing skill, vision or IQ to do the same. So instead he should accept his role as a scoring machine and destroy teams.
    or maybe if he forced more shots, his efficiency would go down, and he would hurt his team? we dont really know.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    or maybe if he forced more shots, his efficiency would go down, and he would hurt his team? we dont really know.
    But he never even tries even when he is hot. He is 6'11 and a better shooter than Kobe/Melo, no way him trying to be more aggressive is a negative. He should have more 50+ point games, specifically ones without 20 free throws.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    There's no indication from those comments or his play in general that he cares about his stats to that degree though. I'm just pointing out, sure he cares about his stats, but just cause he saves himself from shooting 40 footers doesn't mean its to a significant degree. His superior efficiency could just be the result of being a more efficient player in general. Its one thing if he's passing up lower % attempts to teammates with even lower % attempts, cause thats not efficient overall to the team and that would mean he's putting his stats ahead of the team. Thats not the case though.

I think that if he didn't have Russell Westbrook on his team, and had someone that was more of a pass-first PG, he could average close to 35 ppg on better efficiency then Kobe did. Not as efficient as he is averaging 28 ppg, but more efficient then Kobe in 06.
    Regardless of the comments, I think it's pretty obvious that Kobe was the better volume scorer and Durant, the more efficient scorer. In his prime, Kobe was definitely more likely to go off for 45-50, even when he was on pretty good teams, while Durant is more likely to get an "easy" 30-35.

If Durant(or pretty much anyone) averaged 35, it wouldn't be on a contending team. Even on a bad team, or mediocre team, I don't think he'd average 35. I just don't think it's his game or mentality as much as it is Kobe's. Same goes for Lebron, those guys score less shooting a much better %, but I'd be surprised if either averaged 35. Not because of a lack of ability.

Durant might average a couple extra ppg without Westbrook, maybe 30, or around there, but without Westbrook's aggressiveness, there's a good chance teams would load up on KD more and send more doubles. I do remember a stat during a OKC game from a month or 2 where they pointed out that a lot of Westbrook's assists are actually to Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Anyway you spin it, a player with Durant's scoring ability worrying about his %'s is a weakness in his game. The truth is, the Thunder would be better if Durant shot more, and everyone else shot less. If Thunder are going to win a title, it's going to be Durant that carries them there, not Ibaka, Martin, or Westbrook.
    Durant averages 28 per game as it is. You need a certain amount of balance so I don't think anything beyond around 30 ppg puts them in a better position. Regardless, the Durant/Westbrook thing has worked for them. They've been in the WCF the last 2 years and the finals the last year. I don't think they necessarily need a different approach to win a title. It depends more on the players around them and how long Miami stays at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    I feel Kareem was concerned about certain personal stats as well, at least his second large double figure scoring streak: Within these 10 seasons, without counting the start of the 1987-88 season, he had a suspiciously high number of games with exactly 10 points (20) and none with less, although he did have 3 such games in the postseason (1 in 1982 and 2 in 1987), which, as we know, doesn't account for the official streaks.
    It is possible, though I can't remember hearing anything in particular relating to stats. I believe he is aware of them because in his book "Giant Steps", he referred to his '76 season as his best statistical season. Although his '72 numbers were actually better with the exception of the fact that they didn't keep track of blocks and steals yet.

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

I whish kevin durant admits that stern took tha title from him last year

Quote Originally Posted by willds09
    I whish kevin durant admits that stern took tha title from him last year
    You really gotta start typing things out correctly, I'm starting to have trouble understanding you.

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho
    You really gotta start typing things out correctly, I'm starting to have trouble understanding you.
    Try harder its not hard

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Durant wants in on that 50-40-90 club, must be careful. :)

Lebron will also kindof do this, he will not so often neglect half-court line and closer to the basket heaves though (he shoots those like a normal jumpshot), but more like full-court heaves, those he will most likely neglect unless the game depended on it, those are 3pt/fg% killer shots lol
    Lebron not only turns down half court heaves but also open jumpers...

so yea kindof

Saw a basketball once Cliff Paul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Regardless of the comments, I think it's pretty obvious that Kobe was the better volume scorer and Durant, the more efficient scorer. In his prime, Kobe was definitely more likely to go off for 45-50, even when he was on pretty good teams, while Durant is more likely to get an "easy" 30-35.

If Durant(or pretty much anyone) averaged 35, it wouldn't be on a contending team. Even on a bad team, or mediocre team, I don't think he'd average 35. I just don't think it's his game or mentality as much as it is Kobe's. Same goes for Lebron, those guys score less shooting a much better %, but I'd be surprised if either averaged 35. Not because of a lack of ability.

Durant might average a couple extra ppg without Westbrook, maybe 30, or around there, but without Westbrook's aggressiveness, there's a good chance teams would load up on KD more and send more doubles. I do remember a stat during a OKC game from a month or 2 where they pointed out that a lot of Westbrook's assists are actually to Durant.
    I agree with your logic. If guys like LeBron or Durant are taking as many shots as Kobe did in 2006, say 27+ a game, I doubt they are able to maintain their current efficiency. I mean by squeezing in more shot attempts than they are comfortable with, they're definitely hurting their own shot selection.

I do think Durant can possibly average 32+ a game, if he had someone like Chris Paul instead of Russell Westbrook. Just my 2 cents.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Wrong. Westbrook impacts the Thunder much more.
    Kevin Durant is the one who carries that team.

Also I agree that if the elite scorers in this game were taking 30 field goals a game, their percentages would almost assuredly be below 50%.

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

Westbrook with the Kobe killer instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by clayton
    Westbrook with the Kobe killer instinct.
    Kobe was blocked on that shot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bull...-around-effort

Durant scoring 28ppg 'efficiently' won't get them past the Heat. Is he just going to sit around hoping Martin, Ibaka, and Westbrook can carry them to a title? Because we know that if Durant wants to play passive basketball, then Westbrook is more than willing to come down the court and chuck midrange jumpers all game.

Sometimes you have to take and make bad/tough shots to win championships. Either Durant or Westbrook are going to have to take those shots, who would you prefer?