Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Django Unchained: Big Dissapointment.

It almost made me sick. Its cornball joke after cornball joke with over the top performances. A linear boring 2:40 hrs long story line.

This is a prime example of when good acting goes to waste.

This is a decent movie on its own, dont get me wrong. But when comparing with Tarantinos previous works it almost looks like he was more interested in making a western than making a good movie....

"the D is silent" weak ass movie phrase too , stop forcing the issue quentin...

Default Re: Django Unchained: Big Dissapointment.

It's a typical Tarantino, not significantly worse or better than any of his movies. You may just be getting tired of Tarantino's very limited range.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

I thought it was great. But I didn't think Waltz' performance was Oscar worthy by any means. DiCaprio stole every scene. I thought Foxx was perfect for the part also.

If he wanted to go through known territory (Western) he should have went Jackie Brown style. A lot more credible roles and more inetresting characters without being over the top. If the dude wanted to make a comedy the premise should have been a better fit a la inglorious basterds.

As poster above said he mght have gone beyond his "range" with this one.

Also Dicaprio and Samuel L Jackson are the best performances. Foxx is awful and Waltz is corny, over the top, etc etc etc

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    If he wanted to go through known territory (Western) he should have went Jackie Brown style. A lot more credible roles and more inetresting characters without being over the top. If the dude wanted to make a comedy the premise should have been a better fit a la inglorious basterds.

As poster above said he mght have gone beyond his "range" with this one.

Also Dicaprio and Samuel L Jackson are the best performances. Foxx is awful and Waltz is corny, over the top, etc etc etc

Yea, I don't really get the Waltz hype. And agreed about Jackson, he was great in this movie. I thought Foxx did a great job. There are better actors out there, but not a lot of them are raw like Foxx.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Yea, I don't really get the Waltz hype. And agreed about Jackson, he was great in this movie. I thought Foxx did a great job. There are better actors out there, but not a lot of them are raw like Foxx.
    The thing about Foxx, the dude looks always too "cool", "in control", with something smart to say, and is the "ultimate well trained assasin". We already had Waltz for that not to mention he impersonates a black slave and it doesn't fits his role in the slightest, dude should have been alot more down to earth with his extravaganza emerging from other places...

The Waltz hype comes from the average movie watcher who can also find great joy in any other overplayed character for the sakes of it being overplayed.

Much better than Basterds.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Much better than Basterds.
    basterds is weak overall imo but has some great memorable scenes (first one at the farm, and the one in the basement bar). Django leaves a scent of cheapness and unmemorableness in the air...

BTW: Landa >>>>>> Dr. Schultz

Welcome to every Tarantino movie ever. You either love his style or can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    Welcome to every Tarantino movie ever. You either love his style or can't stand it.
    I've liked almost every one of his films until this crap

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    I would say with Pulp Fiction he elevated the material to a level of great depth and originality and rose above the slick homages and dialogue that characterize the rest of his movies. but yea I wasn't particularly fond of Django although I did think Leo did a good job.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

First off, Jamie Foxx couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Waltz and DiCaprio's shoulders had to be killing them after carrying his dead weight through 3/4 of the movie. The last 45 minutes was inexcusably bad.

And this wasn't typical Tarantino; typical Tarantino would have at least had some interesting plot twists and quirks. This couldn't have been any more formulaic. Totally wasted performances by Leo and Sam Jackson, and a cheesy, overtly predictable ending to make black people feel like justice was served or something.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I didn't like it, and the more I wish Tarantino could have made a real Western.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    I would say with Pulp Fiction he elevated the material to a level of great depth and originality and rose above the slick homages and dialogue that characterize the rest of his movies. but yea I wasn't particularly fond of Django although I did think Leo did a good job.
    For sure Pulp Fiction had much more depth than his other movies (although I've never seen reservoir dogs; shame on me). However, it still has his over-the-top violence and lack of any meaningful themes (and thus is still shallow like his other movies).

Ultimately Tarantino has made a living off of shocking people and including controversial topics in his stories.
    Last edited by Dbrog; 01-28-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    First off, Jamie Foxx couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Waltz and DiCaprio's shoulders had to be killing them after carrying his dead weight through 3/4 of the movie. The last 45 minutes was inexcusably bad.

And this wasn't typical Tarantino; typical Tarantino would have at least had some interesting plot twists and quirks. This couldn't have been any more formulaic. Totally wasted performances by Leo and Sam Jackson, and a cheesy, overtly predictable ending to make black people feel like justice was served or something.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I didn't like it, and the more I wish Tarantino could have made a real Western.
    whats the point in bolding all your post...

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    and a cheesy, overtly predictable ending
    Eh, you could really say the same about Basterds. Or Kill Bill. Or Jackie Brown.

I will say that Django is a bit lacking in plot compared to Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, but it fits perfectly with the rest of his portfolio. Every Tarantino movie is just a collection of "ultra cool" campy scenes where the overall plot is only there as a vehicle to have those scenes.