Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded
 
Derka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 8,939
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are easily two of the more racist, horrible human beings in the media.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #32
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,938
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are easily two of the more racist, horrible human beings in the media.


More racist than ted nugent?

More racist than rush "fat mouth" limbaugh?

More racist than pat buchanon?


I doubt it.. I dont even like Sharpton, but he is hardly a racist.. Jesse jackson hasnt even said anything lately...

the hysterics are ridiculous
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #33
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,979
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
I think a lot of the reason that people are upset about the court ruling is that the justice system ran it's course but at the end of the day an innocent boy is dead for no other reason than that someone thought he looks suspicious.

None of this would have happened if George Zimmerman didn't continue to pursue Trayvon. The kid was minding his business and wasn't any threat to anybody. He would have continued on his way home and he would continue to live another day. It also sets a poor precedent that you can escalate a situation and initiated a confrontation, yet can kill someone because the only other witness is dead.

It's troubling for young kids that could get profiled just because someone doesn't like the way they look. It also tells kids that if some stranger who doesn't identify himself is following you and you're scared don't try to defend yourself or do anything. I'm just waiting for the next person to just pop kid because he looked suspicious.

It's a horrible situation that could have been avoided if not for Zimmerman's actions. At the end of the day you'd be a pretty heartless monster to celebrate a young man's death when he was just minding his own business.


Our justice system does not always guarantee justice. Yet the "presumed innocent" and "burden of proof is on the state" aspects of it are absolutely essential in a free society.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,938
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Our justice system does not always guarantee justice. Yet the "presumed innocent" and "burden of proof is on the state" aspects of it are absolutely essential in a free society.


I think you are right in general, but I also think that there should be more burden shifted to the defendant when it comes to "self defense" cases..

If you claim self defense, then you need to lay out a narrative and it should ring true..

You shouldnt be able to claim self defense and then sit back and skate through on reasonable doubt... That is bullsh*t..

for regular trials, I agree. Reasonable doubt should remain the same, but the self defense and stand your ground laws give people the opportunity to kill people under murky circumstances and then walk.. that is not justice and we see in florida people are taking advantage of the laws
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #35
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 22,075
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
If you going to keep flaunting the Jude case, you should at least be honest and speak to the other cases (in Florida)...

There is a case where a white guy shot and killed a black kid because he thought his music was too loud..

There was no outrage there... Why not?

how about the black woman who got 20 years (in Florida) for firing a warning shot???

You are leaning very hard on the Jude case.. I understand the point you are trying to make, but it isnt totally correct and you are over selling it great deal.

The first case, while unfortunate, has no self defense claim to it and is equal to the Marley Lion case. Adkins does, and is vastly similar. No outrage included there either (Lion case)

And firing a warning shot, for whatever reason, has a more extreme penalty than Manslaughter can possibly have. I do not agree with it at all, though I do agree that no such thing as a warning shot should exist.

Quote:
I doubt it.. I dont even like Sharpton, but he is hardly a racist.. Jesse jackson hasnt even said anything lately...

If he isn't racist, than I fail to see how 90% of people called racists are.

And Jackson has.

"Last year, the Rev. Jesse Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition called for Spooner to be charged with a federal hate crime."

From the 2012 case where John Henry Spooner shot 13-year old Darius Simmons point blank due to thinking Simmons stole $3,000 worth of shotguns from him. Race was not a factor, at all. Yet Jackson tries to make it racial. Spooner does deserve Murder 1, though at his age, I doubt he cares.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #36
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,938
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
The first case, while unfortunate, has no self defense claim to it and is equal to the Marley Lion case. Adkins does, and is vastly similar. No outrage included there either (Lion case)

And firing a warning shot, for whatever reason, has a more extreme penalty than Manslaughter can possibly have. I do not agree with it at all, though I do agree that no such thing as a warning shot should exist.

there are plenty more cases throughout history where blacks get killed and it doesnt spark a national controversy..

You seem to be trying to insinuate that there is a concerted effort from the media to villify white people... as if the media is anti white.. I hope you arent trying to do that... That is what it sounds like you are hinting at though..

like I said to you in another thread. There are a range of different angles which the media takes to promote their stories. Race is one of them.. I can find you many historic cases throughout american history where whites kill blacks and walk free for years.. DECADES in some instances, so this isnt some trumped up false narrative created by the media to villify whites absent of any history of such a thing..

If you are saying it can have a destructive effect on society? I would tend to agree with you because they do it to black people alot more often than they do it whites and I know the negative effect it can have

but it isnt created in a vacuum.. there is history behind these narratives





Quote:
If he isn't racist, than I fail to see how 90% of people called racists are.



And Jackson has.

"Last year, the Rev. Jesse Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition called for Spooner to be charged with a federal hate crime."

From the 2012 case where John Henry Spooner shot 13-year old Darius Simmons point blank due to thinking Simmons stole $3,000 worth of shotguns from him. Race was not a factor, at all. Yet Jackson tries to make it racial. Spooner does deserve Murder 1, though at his age, I doubt he cares.


That doesnt make Jesse Jackson a racist.. Does he mock and antagonize whites the way Buchanon and Nugent and Rush do?Does Jesse (or sharpton) stereotype all whites? I dont believe so.. You could point it out for me if you have evidence to the contrary..

I think people are unnecessarily hysterical about Sharpton and jackson.. It is kind of ridiculous when you consider what other REAL racists do to earn their title as racists..

And like I said before.. Im not a fan of either guy because I think they sold out at various times in their careers. but to call them racist? thats not realistic
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #37
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 22,075
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
there are plenty more cases throughout history where blacks get killed and it doesnt spark a national controversy..

You seem to be trying to insinuate that there is a concerted effort from the media to villify white people... as if the media is anti white.. I hope you arent trying to do that... That is what it sounds like you are hinting at though..

like I said to you in another thread. There are a range of different angles which the media takes to promote their stories. Race is one of them.. I can find you many historic cases throughout american history where whites kill blacks and walk free for years.. DECADES in some instances, so this isnt some trumped up false narrative created by the media to villify whites absent of any history of such a thing..

If you are saying it can have a destructive effect on society? I would tend to agree with you because they do it to black people alot more often than they do it whites..

but it isnt created in a vacuum.. there is history behind these narratives

I'm focused on the present, and not disputing anything from the past. I understand the effect of Emmett Till, like I do the extent of Elizabeth Black and other major cases from the past.

All I'm saying, is in the present, the voice of these two supposed civil rights leaders and the blind sheep that just flock to said voice is hypocritical as can be, and do not understand why some can not admit this case, specifically, was taken on due to racism making $$ and not any "historical significance".


Quote:
That doesnt make Jesse Jackson a racist.. Does he mock and antagonize whites the way Buchanon and Nugent and Rush do?Does Jesse (or sharpton) stereotype all whites? I dont believe so.. You could point it out for me if you have evidence to the contrary..

I think people are unnecessarily hysterical about Sharpton and jackson.. It is kind of ridiculous when you consider what other REAL racists do to earn their title as racists..

And like I said before.. Im not a fan of either guy because I think they sold out at various times in their careers. but to call them racist? thats not realistic

I don't pay attention to those three, and I don't know anyone who does, so I can't say what they do or don't do. To me, I view Sharpton and Jackson as hypocrites and do see some racist tendencies in them, call it reverse racism if you will by reaching on everything to make it seem like it was based off of race, such as this Spooner case, along with not, to the best of my knowledge, telling people to ignore the $10,000 bounty on Zim's head by the Black Panthers. Wouldn't a true Human Rights leader want to ensure that they prevent any future violence by telling people how that is wrong to do and make sure the goal is reached with peace?

As opposed to instigating and making it about race, which led to the assault of an innocent Hispanic man in order to achieve "Justice".
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #38
mehyaM24
College star
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,991
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
More racist than ted nugent?

More racist than rush "fat mouth" limbaugh?

More racist than pat buchanon?


I doubt it.. I dont even like Sharpton, but he is hardly a racist.. Jesse jackson hasnt even said anything lately...

the hysterics are ridiculous

if sharpton and jackson were white and were doing what they do for white people....you better believe they would be considered racists.

anyway, these topics are mad f*cking depressing....why cant we all just be considered earthlings?
mehyaM24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #39
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,938
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

[quote=qrich]I'm focused on the present, and not disputing anything from the past. I understand the effect of Emmett Till, like I do the extent of Elizabeth Black and other major cases from the past.

All I'm saying, is in the present, the voice of these two supposed civil rights leaders and the blind sheep that just flock to said voice is hypocritical as can be, and do not understand why some can not admit this case, specifically, was taken on due to racism making $$ and not any "historical significance".




Quote:
I don't pay attention to those three, and I don't know anyone who does, so I can't say what they do or don't do. To me, I view Sharpton and Jackson as hypocrites and do see some racist tendencies in them, call it reverse racism if you will by reaching on everything to make it seem like it was based off of race, such as this Spooner case, along with not, to the best of my knowledge, telling people to ignore the $10,000 bounty on Zim's head by the Black Panthers. Wouldn't a true Human Rights leader want to ensure that they prevent any future violence by telling people how that is wrong to do and make sure the goal is reached with peace?

As opposed to instigating and making it about race, which led to the assault of an innocent Hispanic man in order to achieve "Justice".


You should be paying attention to those 3 because they are a part of the media and a part of the equation.. If you deem Sharpton and Jackson are a part of the problem, you have to acknowledge the problem on the other side of the ledger also (if you going to be honest about the race situation)..

Like I said, I dont think those guys are racists, but I do think they are sell outs, and they have struck fear in the hearts of white people everywhere. black people dont give them airtime and give them shows.. white people do. I hear more about sharpton and jackson from white people than anything thing else, and it is puzzling especially when you have much worse characters on the scene. Matter of fact the people who hate sharpton and jackson the most are the people who love guys like limbaugh and nugent and buchanon...

You have to see that its two sides being played against the middle and no way is it some kind of anti white agenda going on.. The media is run by white people, so who would be to blame for such an agenda? Not black folks..

Black dont need sharpton or jesse to see that the justice system is stacked against them.. we live it.. You can look around see that plain as day.. sharpton & jesse are cheer leaders but they dont insert new ideas into the minds of black folks.. Those ideas are already there. common knowledge

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 07-17-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #40
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,938
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehyaM24
if sharpton and jackson were white and were doing what they do for white people....you better believe they would be considered racists.

anyway, these topics are mad f*cking depressing....why cant we all just be considered earthlings?


If they were mocking white people and stereotying all whites like nugent and limbaugh and buchanon do? then I could agree with you, but they dont do that .... they basically fight agaisnt perceived racism and that makes whites mad...

its not the same thing though... they dont mock whites and belittle them in public
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #41
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 22,075
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
You should be paying attention to those 3 because they are a part of the media and a part of the equation.. If you deem Sharpton and Jackson to the problem, you have to acknowledge the problem on the other side of the ledger also (if you going to be honest about the race situation)..

Like I said, I dont think those guys are racists, but I do think they are sell outs, and they have struck fear in the hearts of white people everywhere. black people cont give them airtime and give them shows.. white people do. I hear more about sharpton and jackson than anything thing else, and it is puzzling especially when you have much worse characters on the scene. Matter of fact the people who hate sharpton andjackson the most are the people who love guys like limbaugh and nugent and buchanon...

You have to see that its two sides being played against the middle and no way is it some kind of anti white agenda going on.. The media is run by white people, so who would be to blame for such an agenda? Not black folks..

Black dont need sharpton or jesse to see that the justice system is stacked against them.. we live it.. You can look around see that plain as day.. sharpton & jesse are cheer leaders but they insert new ideas into the minds of black folks.. Those ideas are already there. common knowledge

I should've included anymore. I stopped paying attention to anything they spew because I view it as ignorant as possibly can be. I also haven't had them shoved down my throat recently (by the media and co-workers), which is why its easier to ignore.

And in no way am I saying its an anti-white agenda. All I'm saying is those two are hypocrites, and to me, no better than racists.

Along with not understanding why some can not just admit the fact that the reason this case became huge was simply due to race and not historical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
If they were mocking white people and stereotying all whites like nugent and limbaugh and buchanon do? then I could agree with you, but they dont do that .... they basically fight agaisnt perceived racism and that makes whites mad...

its not the same thing though... they dont mock whites and belittle them in public

That's the thing though, they create racism, not fight it. Maybe they fought it back in the days, but surely as hell don't anymore.

Last edited by qrich : 07-17-2013 at 12:13 AM.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #42
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,938
Default Re: Please read this if you feel like the court ruling is unjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
I should've included anymore. I stopped paying attention to anything they spew because I view it as ignorant as possibly can be. I also haven't had them shoved down my throat recently (by the media and co-workers), which is why its easier to ignore.

And in no way am I saying its an anti-white agenda. All I'm saying is those two are hypocrites, and to me, no better than racists.

They are hypocrites to me too.... but for different reasons..

To me, America is in the midst of CLASS war more so than a RACE war. The race war is simply a diversion to keep poor ignorant folks fighting each other..

but yet in still, racism is a problem.. People feel its effects everyday because people look down on other people for these reasons..

Its a real problem, but it isnt the key problem..



Quote:
Along with not understanding why some can not just admit the fact that the reason this case became huge was simply due to race and not historical reasons.

actually it is both... These issues wouldnt hold any weight if there was no history behind them... The media knows that the black community is wary of the criminal justice system.. they know which issues stoke the flame and get the viewers.. They arent simply playing to empty rhetoric.. there is real history and black folks do react to seeing old Jim crow racist BS creeping back into american society... there are real issues associated with this stuff..

its not just race all by itself... its race and the history of race in America. America has an ugly long history when it comes to racism and black folks know it.. we are sensitive to it, and people will feel it when they think it creeping up again.. the media play that fiddle to a tee



Quote:
That's the thing though, they create racism, not fight it. Maybe they fought it back in the days, but surely as hell don't anymore.

I dont know that they CREATE it... But surely agree that they dont fight it. I think they just ride the wave and function as the spokesman for black people in the eyes of white people
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy