Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default prediction: the level of protest/dissent in the world will rise in the next five year

s

and certainly in the next ten years.

people talk about stability all the time. the stability of the culture and society in the middle east, in brazil, in southern europe, in eastern europe, in west asia and the indian subcontinent.

what do we mean by stability: the acceptability of the current political and economic circumstances to the population

and even the canadian and american and european and japanese people are becoming more aware of the situation in the world and of the situation in their pocketbooks.

i'm talking about the occupy movement. i'm talking about the most recent climate protests. i'm talking about the arab spring.

in the western world and its allies and its client states, in the kremlin, in the chinese communist party, in the japanese parliament, etc

the powers that be have responded to these movements mostly with indifference, frequently with resistance, and occasionally violence.

they will continue to spread as people struggle to gain a better understanding of what is actually happening in our societies and on the planet environmentally.

that is all.
    Last edited by RidonKs; 09-27-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Banned

Default Re: prediction: the level of protest/dissent in the world will rise in the next five year

That is all

You promise?

Default Re: prediction: the level of protest/dissent in the world will rise in the next five year

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    You promise?

#Ferguson

I want to agree with you donks, but I dont think protest/dissent will rise at all, at least not in america.

It was almost laughable how easily the occupy movement was crushed by the status quo.

I dont think people (americans) are becoming more aware of issues like climate change and natural resource depletion at all. If anything we are becoming less aware. The amount of willful ignorance toward environmental and social issues in america is very high right now.

Religious tension has amped up here in Australia since the latest attempted terrorist attacks.

Australian Bogans are already spray painting mosques with offensive language and making random attacks on innocent people. Muslims are retaliating by protesting against oppression and isolated attacks are happening as an outlet.

It will get worse because Sydney and Melbourne already have alienated Muslim communities, the religious tension and isis movement should only further the current unrest.

Australia will see dissent/protests rise imo.

Banned

There will be civil war in England within 5 years. In Australia, I expect to see deportations of Muslims and other undesirables.

You really went out on a limb with that prediction.

That's like saying "I predict that after Obama there will be another president that people will complain about"

Props to you for making such a bold prediction

NBA rookie of the year

I can understand why people in the 3rd world will be angry, but in developed world whats so bad that you feel most people will want to protest?
    Eg. the occupy "movement" was a comically small portion of the population

I honestly think most Americans (more than 50% of the population) are happy with the economic opportunity in this control.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 09-27-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    I want to agree with you donks, but I dont think protest/dissent will rise at all, at least not in america.

It was almost laughable how easily the occupy movement was crushed by the status quo.

I dont think people (americans) are becoming more aware of issues like climate change and natural resource depletion at all. If anything we are becoming less aware. The amount of willful ignorance toward environmental and social issues in america is very high right now.
    Quick question....

What was the point of the occupy movement?

I've asked many occupy protesters "what are you protesting? What is occupy trying to accomplish"? I've only ever gotten extremely vague answers or people saying they actually aren't sure or they're new or something.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners

Exactly, the GOP will keep the house and might win the senate in the mid terms.

The world is kind of ****ed, nothing is going to be done about global warming

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    I can understand why people in the 3rd world will be angry, but in developed world whats so bad that you feel most people will want to protest?
    Eg. the occupy "movement" was a comically small portion of the population
    Forced multiculturalism producing and provoking already established racial and ethnic tensions and harming the landscape of the country
    Financially unsustainable waves of immigration
    Rampant corporatism and unchecked mining industry
    Strong environmental concerns

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    You really went out on a limb with that prediction.

That's like saying "I predict that after Obama there will be another president that people will complain about"

Props to you for making such a bold prediction
    you don't understand what i'm saying.

i'm not predicting anything about complaining.

protest and dissent are very different if they are real. and real means taking action and taking action doesn't end with taking over a public square in one of the biggest cities in the world but it's at least a start.

occupy didn't do much institutionally speaking and about that, nanners is right. but nanners is wrong in predicting that the failure of occupy to actually implement different policies is indicative of how angry people will be in the future. because the fact is that the obama administrations failure to adequately respond to the 99% movement will only exacerbate civil disobedience and activism in the future.

and it's the same with the climate walk in nyc last weekend. hundreds of thousands of people gathering. obama might still approve the keystone xl pipeline but at this point, we at least know he's considering the issue long and hard. or he's biding his time until it's more appropriate to approve it. but in the latter case, the protests especially in the united states with regard to this issue will grow if he does allow for construction.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Exactly, the GOP will keep the house and might win the senate in the mid terms.

The world is kind of ****ed, nothing is going to be done about global warming
    certainly not if people listen to you

"theres nothing to be done"

"alright then i guess i wont do anything"

you need to realize YOUR voice has an impact just like anybody else's. and the fact that you appear to be giving up because your voice doesn't have enough of an impact is like me giving up on the dream job i desperately want because it hasn't been offered to me yet.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    certainly not if people listen to you

"theres nothing to be done"

"alright then i guess i wont do anything"

you need to realize YOUR voice has an impact just like anybody else's. and the fact that you appear to be giving up because your voice doesn't have enough of an impact is like me giving up on the dream job i desperately want because it hasn't been offered to me yet.
    Honestly I have some money invested in fracking