Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Stephon Marbury officially joins Boston Celtics

Update: Marbury has officially signed: http://www.insidehoops.com/celtics-s...y-022709.shtml

Also: InsideHoops.com opinion: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=3623

Link

Stephon Marbury is expected to join the Celtics during a closed practice at 5 p.m. at the TD Banknorth Garden after signing a contract with the team today for a prorated veteran's minimum of $1.3 million. The team will not hold a shootaround this morning after arriving from Los Angeles yesterday evening.

It is not yet known whether Marbury will be in uniform for the Celtics tonight against the Pacers (7:30 p.m.) Marbury talked about joining the Celtics in today's Globe.
    Q&A with the 2 time all-star.

Q: How excited are you about coming to the Celtics?

SM: "This is the happiest I've been since being drafted, man. I'm so happy that it doesn't even feel real. It feels, it just feels like, it feels different to finally be able to get the opportunity to go play for a team that's established. Everyone is on the same page. There is one goal, and that's winning a ring, winning the trophy.

"I'm walking into an environment where it's stable, controlled by the players because the players police themselves. You don't have to have the coach police what is going on. Everyone seems to have it together and it looks like a family. That's what it's all about."

Q: What would you say to your skeptics who wonder why the Celtics are signing you despite your past problems?

SM: "That's OK. That's just a perspective that has been adapted from what someone else told them. If they weren't there and weren't in that circle, then they don't know."

Q: How does it feel to go to a team that is pretty much drama-free?

SM: "You don't know how good it feels to know that it's just one thing, to have fun. [Kevin Garnett] was like, 'Basketball is going to be fun again, kid.' Man, I can't wait. I'm so excited. I haven't slept in like three days."

Q: Are you in shape? Could you play against Indiana [tonight]?

SM: "I'm a hooper. It's just like playing inside the park. You play. I came in camp at 197 [pounds] and I'm at 199 [now]. I didn't gain any weight. I made sure I worked out, I was lifting weights, shooting the ball. I shot [Wednesday]. I'm not going to say that I'm in basketball shape or can play 30 minutes. But can I go play? Yeah, I can go play."
    read the rest here
    Link

wooooooooo..
    Last edited by insidehoops; 02-27-2009 at 05:54 PM.

National High School Star

Default Re: Marbury is officially a Celtic.

Wow, this will be exciting.

I don't care about his attitude in the past and how he's a team cancer, that won't fly with guys like Pierce and KG around. From what I saw in preseason, Steph is still in great shape, can get to the rim and draw contact like few others, and will provide a huge lift at the backup PG and bench depth. The C's can also use Marbury instead of Rondo when the D starts to slag or they need a better shooter in late game situations.

Q: How do you feel about coming off the bench?

SM: "I don't care what they ask me to do. I'll play 20 minutes or I'll play 15. It doesn't matter who is scoring or who is doing what. It's about one common goal: to win."
    Lets hope this is what he really believes.

Unlucky.

Blu Ray

What do I have to say about this?

Only...

Pelican Brief

Itll be intresting to see Marbury's role with the team, whether he'll be rusty or not, and everyones favorite whether he self destructs or not....

IMO, He'll contribute and be quiet for the most part. Marbury may be crazy but hes not dumb. He knows this is probably his only chance at a ring.

Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOHCP3
    Itll be intresting to see Marbury's role with the team, whether he'll be rusty or not, and everyones favorite whether he self destructs or not....

IMO, He'll contribute and be quiet for the most part. Marbury may be crazy but hes not dumb. He knows this is probably his only chance at a ring.
    Not just his only chance at a ring, but his only shot to remain in the NBA. We don't know exactly how much talent he has left, but regardless of the talent, if he does anything to screw with team chemistry, his NBA days are over. So there's a lot more riding on him than just the pressure of on-court performance. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the guy get a second chance.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by NOHCP3

we'll he hasn't really played in 20 months so i imagine he'll be a little rusty. plus he wasn't exactly playing well when he was playing so it's going to take some time

Pelican Brief

Quote Originally Posted by haterofhaters
    Not just his only chance at a ring, but his only shot to remain in the NBA. We don't know exactly how much talent he has left, but regardless of the talent, if he does anything to screw with team chemistry, his NBA days are over. So there's a lot more riding on him than just the pressure of on-court performance. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the guy get a second chance.

Didnt look at it that way. Absolutely right. If something bad goes down this time around I cant see many teams taking a shot at him. There were only a couple of suitors this time around.

As crazy as the Knicks saga was, its over and done with now. I think he deserved the chance to at least play along time ago. They clearly needed to part ways as soon as the Isiah era ended. I really think he could help the Cs. Not huge numbers but PG stability when the bench comes in at least.

I guess this means Pruitt will drive off a bridge now.

Imagine this lineup 6-7 years ago:

Stephon Marbury
    Ray Allen
    Paul Pierce
    Kevin Garnett
    Random Center

Looks like an all star team.

Pelican Brief

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    we'll he hasn't really played in 20 months so i imagine he'll be a little rusty. plus he wasn't exactly playing well when he was playing so it's going to take some time

Right, It'll take time but I think he'll be able to ease his way in. Early on he wont be asked to do much. He looked like he was in good shape, but even if hes not he wont be playing huge minutes until the playoffs really.

Will he become a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Imagine this lineup 6-7 years ago:

Stephon Marbury
    Ray Allen
    Paul Pierce
    Kevin Garnett
    Random Center

Looks like an all star team.
    Same thing could be said about when Malone and Payton played for the Lakers.

Payton/Fisher
    Bryant
    Fox/Bryon Russell/George
    Malone/Horace Grant
    Shaq