Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
    High School Starter

Default How does Greg Oden have more potential than Dwight Howard?

Serious question.

They are both around the same height and Dwight Howard can probably jump higher.

So why the hype surrounding Oden, what makes him head and shoulders potentially better than Dwight?

Banned

Default Re: How does Greg Oden have more potential than Dwight Howard?

Because IMO...Oden is already as good as Howard...and he hasn't even played in the NBA yet...remember...hops isn't everything

Oden will be a better defender on helping in the paint and one on one

The biggest thing he has over Howard is size. They are the same height but Oden is much thicker and wider and at one point he was weighing a muscular 275 before he was injured...I'm sure by the time he is 28 he could weight a muscular 285 or 290 which is scary

Another reason is...if Portland does keep Zach, Oden will be able to learn a lot of low post offensive moves as Zach is probably the best low post scorer in the NBA...hate it or not...so Oden will be a beast on the D and has potential to be the same on the offensive end

Oden's 2 inches taller, he has better post moves, he can shoot free throws, he has nice touch around the basket, etc. He has actual skills... Dwight has athleticism and strength.

Cause Greg Oden keeps up with point gaurds in work outs. Have you seen the video of him dribbling 2 basketballs. He's been more dominant in the post to from what I saw in the NCAA finals. He is probably going to be a better shot blocker. Oden is incredibly fast on defense. He has a more athletic body than Dwight Howard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOL7ohUSFA

Local High School Star

But will Greg Oden be one of those players who are injury prone?

Local High School Star WoGiTaLiA1's Avatar

Because right now Howard is a solid man to man defender that gets garbage points. Oden will be at least a solid man to mand defender and a very good help defender from day 1, he should get garbage points at least as well.

He isnt a miles better prospect, but he is certainly better.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    He has a more athletic body than Dwight Howard.
    i'm pretty sure there are very few people in NBA history that were as athletic as dwight. Off the top of my head I can say for sure Kemp and Wilt were probably there. Pippen too. Young Ewing too. James White of course.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nygher
    Because IMO...Oden is already as good as Howard...and he hasn't even played in the NBA yet...remember...hops isn't everything

The biggest thing he has over Howard is size. They are the same height but Oden is much thicker and wider and at one point he was weighing a muscular 275 before he was injured...I'm sure by the time he is 28 he could weight a muscular 285 or 290 which is scary

Another reason is...if Portland does keep Zach, Oden will be able to learn a lot of low post offensive moves as Zach is probably the best low post scorer in the NBA...hate it or not...so Oden will be a beast on the D and has potential to be the same on the offensive end
    Actually howard is way bigger. And Oden was measured at 257

Last edited by thenextgreatbigman; 06-21-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nygher

Oden is already as good as Howard?

He may end up better than Howard, way better.

But if Oden drops 18ppg & 12rpg next year along with shooting 60%+ from the field, I will be flat out amazed. Know why? Because he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Cause Greg Oden keeps up with point gaurds in work outs. Have you seen the video of him dribbling 2 basketballs. He's been more dominant in the post to from what I saw in the NCAA finals. He is probably going to be a better shot blocker. Oden is incredibly fast on defense. He has a more athletic body than Dwight Howard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOL7ohUSFA
    More athletic body than Dwight? Are you on crack? Do you know Dwight is the most athletic person in the league for his size, far and away? He outdid Ben Gordon & numerous other guards in the pre draft agility tests, by the way.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Oden is just as quick if not quicker. He is better at free throws and has more post moves than Dwight and he hasn't even played a game yet. If not now Oden will better in 1 or 2 years.

Greg Oden is a better defender than Dwight Howard and is 2 inches taller. Oden would be the future standard that other bigmen would be compared to.

He got the skills
    A better lowpost scorer
    A better Shot Blocker
    a higher basketball IQ
    much fundamentally sound that DH.

Oden is in no way stronger, faster, more athletic, quicker, or whatever than Dwight. There is nothing that Greg Oden does in the physical department that is superior to Dwight. The only thing that may elevate Oden above Howard as their careers progress is if Dwight does not develop his game any further than it already is, which is a distinct possibility.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

he is a true center,better defender,has better post moves, better defensive awareness, maximizes his length yada yada. you will see soon.

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

I certainly don't think so. Dwight Howard is the best physical specimen in the NBA. No player can match his combination of size, speed and strength. With that in mind, Oden is certainly as good a prospect. He is taller and, although he's still tremendously raw, has better footwork and post play. However, that could be attributed to his one year at college, whereas Dwight came straight out of high school. Whoever said Oden's already better, though, is completely wrong. Dwight put up better numbers for the Magic than Oden did the Buckeyes.
    Last edited by The Answer; 02-22-2009 at 05:10 PM.