Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: Infamous Second Son

I'm playing the Uncharteds and ACs now, but I'll get this game when I finish them. Did yall pick Hero or inFamous? Which is better? No spoilers pls.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    I'm playing the Uncharteds and ACs now, but I'll get this game when I finish them. Did yall pick Hero or inFamous? Which is better? No spoilers pls.

I picked Hero. They force you to choose a direction pretty much right off the bat. And one of my issues with this series is because that karma meter moving up is how you level up, so once you pick a direction, you pretty much have to play it out.

It does give you a valid second playthrough.

The evil playthrough was fun. I will mention which I thought was better when I beat the hero play later this week.

Sucks about the damn papertrail. I wanted to see what that was all about.

@thorpe

Yeah the smoke movement was pretty weird for me at first too, but once I got used to it it is sooo much better. Power 2 and 3s movement is easy mode, great for long travel, smoke and power 4 are for short travel.

Power 3 is so-so to me. I'd like it more [COLOR="White"]if you could fly longer.[/COLOR]

Also it has the weakest down button attack animation IMO.

Just plat'd the game. I'd say the story lines are basically the same, except for small differences. Personally enjoyed the infamous ending more, but like I said it's all the same.

For those who haven't heard, I tore my left achilles the other night. I updated my "Hurt Bad" thread in the OTC if anyone cares to read about it.

But for the purposes of here, it probably means I'll be playing more.

One thing I was disappointed to discover when I bought this, because it wasn't what I wanted, is that the South Park game wasn't released on PS4. That's how I wound up with this sort of on a whim late on a Saturday night.

I did lay around and play a bunch yesterday. It definitely improved as I got a bit more acclimated to the controls. Part of my issue is that the game is paced differently from how I play. Loading the map up with bits and pieces at a time, means that I went and did the few things I could in every region before pushing through to complete the region. So I eliminated all the HUD bases, then tracked down all the stupid flying spy thingys, then finally went to the missions, which then added more things on the map to do, like the secret cameras and secret agent stuff. I think I'm totally done with 3 of the first 5 regions, and nearly done with the last two, with only the region with the spiraling vortexes in it to finish that first map. Now that I see how it works, I need to finish this stuff differently to get the upgrades.

So the pacing is a bit off for me, and coming off of playing Assassin's Creed, the controls wonk me out a bit. Because it's so much of the same stuff as far as the layout goes, but the controls are just different enough. It's not as if the character free runs, and I can just hold square and tilt the stick a bit. Climbing sort of requires repeated pushes of the jump button. Then I realized that some stuff is more climbable than I remembered, if I hit it right.

So it's not even really the games fault, it's just the layout is so off from what I just came off of.

I will admit that part of the problem I have with it in design is that there's no cover system, and the shooting reticule moves crazy fast. Now I'm not a huge fan of shooters. I flat out don't play FPS's, and while this is 3rd person open world, it's got a ton of basis in FPS. Uncharted and even GTA both have cover schemes. The Last of Us plays off a cover scheme, and has more stealth elements. I don't like button mashers either, but I have enjoyed the newer melee combat systems layed out in Batman and Assassin's Creed, and this one just doesn't seem up to the level of either of those, or even what they did in The Last of Us.

So overall, while admitting that this is more shooter, which is not really my thing, I feel like this is closer to a B than the typical A games I play. And part of that is I only play a half dozen games a year tops, so I know what I like, know what I want, I pre-order, and I play. This is an example of a game that was just a hair outside my range, I knew it, but I picked it up on a whim, and it seems very good, just not snugly in my wheelhouse.

The last game I bought like that was probably Dead Space, and that wound up being an A for me. But while it's more shooter based than most stuff I play, they pulled back the pace for the horror element, and the lack of vertical movement made the shooting, while still needing to be pretty precision, a lot more functional for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    For those who haven't heard, I tore my left achilles the other night. I updated my "Hurt Bad" thread in the OTC if anyone cares to read about it.

But for the purposes of here, it probably means I'll be playing more.

One thing I was disappointed to discover when I bought this, because it wasn't what I wanted, is that the South Park game wasn't released on PS4. That's how I wound up with this sort of on a whim late on a Saturday night.

I did lay around and play a bunch yesterday. It definitely improved as I got a bit more acclimated to the controls. Part of my issue is that the game is paced differently from how I play. Loading the map up with bits and pieces at a time, means that I went and did the few things I could in every region before pushing through to complete the region. So I eliminated all the HUD bases, then tracked down all the stupid flying spy thingys, then finally went to the missions, which then added more things on the map to do, like the secret cameras and secret agent stuff. I think I'm totally done with 3 of the first 5 regions, and nearly done with the last two, with only the region with the spiraling vortexes in it to finish that first map. Now that I see how it works, I need to finish this stuff differently to get the upgrades.

So the pacing is a bit off for me, and coming off of playing Assassin's Creed, the controls wonk me out a bit. Because it's so much of the same stuff as far as the layout goes, but the controls are just different enough. It's not as if the character free runs, and I can just hold square and tilt the stick a bit. Climbing sort of requires repeated pushes of the jump button. Then I realized that some stuff is more climbable than I remembered, if I hit it right.

So it's not even really the games fault, it's just the layout is so off from what I just came off of.

I will admit that part of the problem I have with it in design is that there's no cover system, and the shooting reticule moves crazy fast. Now I'm not a huge fan of shooters. I flat out don't play FPS's, and while this is 3rd person open world, it's got a ton of basis in FPS. Uncharted and even GTA both have cover schemes. The Last of Us plays off a cover scheme, and has more stealth elements. I don't like button mashers either, but I have enjoyed the newer melee combat systems layed out in Batman and Assassin's Creed, and this one just doesn't seem up to the level of either of those, or even what they did in The Last of Us.

So overall, while admitting that this is more shooter, which is not really my thing, I feel like this is closer to a B than the typical A games I play. And part of that is I only play a half dozen games a year tops, so I know what I like, know what I want, I pre-order, and I play. This is an example of a game that was just a hair outside my range, I knew it, but I picked it up on a whim, and it seems very good, just not snugly in my wheelhouse.

The last game I bought like that was probably Dead Space, and that wound up being an A for me. But while it's more shooter based than most stuff I play, they pulled back the pace for the horror element, and the lack of vertical movement made the shooting, while still needing to be pretty precision, a lot more functional for me.
    I would agree with you about the controls. They were difficult to adjust to after not playing an infamous game for years, but the one thing that will help you is getting power 2. It especially helps with traversal, eliminates the need for the parkour climbing like smoke.

Beat it over the weekend. Really didn't have a ton else I was capable of doing, so I put in some really long sessions (PS4 controller battery life is oddly short-ish).

Overall it was a very good experience. I still say a lot of the design elements just aren't in my wheelhouse, so it's a little harder for me to be subjective, but then again that's why this isn't something I pre-ordered. However enough of it is that I'd buy it. The exploring, the open world. The expanded single player story. I just aint a huge fan of the shooter elements, and the comic book art style. But that's fine.

I think it's cool they give you as good a reason as they do for the second playthrough. Although I may be a bit burnt out after playing as much as I did over two days.

The story was a little choppy. The effort to explain the motives for why these Conduits were so despised is a little all over. And Augustine's motives felt goofy seemingly because they were trying to explain two sides of a story at once depending on the choices you make. But overall it worked. It was kind of a screwed up version of the overall X Men plot I suppose.

Gameplay had some cool ideas. Switching powers was a nice idea. I felt the pacing of it was a little off. It felt like as soon as I'd gotten comfortable with the first they threw the second at me, and for me, it felt like they threw the third at me too late to really get comfortable with that one. Although that's in part because of how I play. I had already stripped the city clean before I played the missions, so by the time I got to the third power, there was little to do but march through the rest of the game.

I also thought they did a good job keeping the function of the three powers similar enough, while making each unique enough to warrant it's existence. I liked power two the best with it's ability to string together karma. It helped with leveling and creating down button attacks. And it's movement control was the coolest in my mind by far.

My biggest gripe would be the same I had with the first game (I didn't play the second), is that the combat is just too repetitive. They've expanded the cast of characters a bit. There's five or so diffetent types of ememies. A few different weapons. And adding in the drug bust combat added a second dimension, but after a while, it just all feels like varying levels of the same thing. A lot of the bigger battles I sort of cheated on. All the district showdowns I'd go into with a down attack set, do a dive bomb, and hit the down attack. There were a few I beat without ever seeing what or who I killed.

I also have some issues with the morality choice thing, because it feels like once you make that first choice, you're sort of obliged to follow through. Doing half and half just feels like you'll not level up enough in either direction.

Overall I'd give it a solid B as an experience. Totally worth checking out.

Sunshine State

Getting infamous after I get my pay check this week

Also, did they pay Banksy to do those stencil graphitti pieces for them, or are they just an "homage"?

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Got the 3rd power, it's not so bad! Story getting more intense :)

Banned

I'm gonna finish up AC: BH, Uncharted 2 and maybe even Revelations if I finish them all before May, and get inFamous then. Really want to play this and South Park, they both look really good.

I'm gonna finish up AC: BH, Uncharted 2 and maybe even Revelations if I finish them all before May, and get inFamous then. Really want to play this and South Park, they both look really good.
    I found out the hard way that they don't make South Park for the PS3, and Infamous isn't available for the PS4 as far as I know. Just so you know before you start really looking into it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I found out the hard way that they don't make South Park for the PS3, and Infamous isn't available for the PS4 as far as I know. Just so you know before you start really looking into it.
    april fools? it's the other way around.

just noticed i already posted when i was gonna get the game