Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park TheTruth11's Avatar

Default Jabari Parker will emerge as the best ... according to Mike Wilbon

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...mpions-classic

Sure Wilbon tends to be a bit of a Chicago homer. But he does make some great points. And he believes Parker is the best player of the bunch and it is not even close.

Steven A. Smith and Chris Broussard also have Parker as the best of the three. Steven A. says that Wiggins is too raw and lacks poise. He says Randle is all left hand.

Last edited by TheTruth11; 11-13-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Jabari Parker will emerge as the best ... according to Mike Wilbon

He also thought Melo would be better than LeBron.

Local High School Star

I agree that Parker will end up being a better pro than Wiggins.

Right now, Wiggins is extremely raw (great athleticism, but shakey handles, shakey jumper, limited playmaking skills, limited left hand, mediocre leadership, etc) and doesn't seem to have a Kobe type desire to be the best. I'm sure he'll get bigger as he gets older, and will improve overall, but I just don't see this guy working his butt off to become one of the best ball players ever. When I see him on the court, it looks like he's not even excited to be there.

As a side note, I don't value the opinion of most scouts these days. Why? Because these are the same people who thought guys like Kwame Brown, Marvin Wiliams, Darko Milicic, Michael Olawokandi, and Shabazz Muhummed would turn out to be great pros.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 11-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09

Right now, Wiggins is extremely raw (great athleticism, but shakey handles, shakey jumper, limited playmaking skills, limited left hand, mediocre leadership, etc) and doesn't seem to have a Kobe type desire to be the best. I'm sure he'll get bigger as he gets older, and will improve overall, but I just don't see this guy working his butt off to become one of the best ball players ever. When I see him on the court, it looks like he's not even excited to be there.

As a side note, I don't value the opinion of most scouts these days. Why? Because these are the same people who thought guys like Kwame Brown, Marvin Wiliams, Darko Milicic, Michael Olawokandi, and Shabazz Muhummed would turn out to be great pros.
    Great points. And how many guys have we seen through the years who can run like deer and jump out gym but can't make it in the NBA. Basketball is about much more than that.

WTF does this even mean? The kid is 18 and has played 2 college bball games and you already know he doesn't have enough heart to be great?

What is your take on Wiggins wanting to guard Parker in the second half, but Self not allowing it and thus Wiggins chose to guard Parker against his coach's wishes (literally on his own accord mid game). I remember two plays where he guarded Parker. One was the bad foul called on Wiggins, the other he made Parker shoot an air ball.

This has been quoted in many articles since the game. What is your take on that? Or should it just be discounted for whatever reason? Personally it sounds like something a leader like Kobe would do. Small sample size, but that goes for you as well. So what do you take from that?
    Last edited by Dolphin; 11-13-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    WTF does this even mean? The kid is 18 and has played 2 college bball games and you already know he doesn't have enough heart to be great?
    It's quite obvious just by watching him on the court and listening to him in interviews. I've been following Kobe since 1995 and even back then it was apparent that he had a burning desire to be the best. I remember in an interview how he talked about how back at Lower Merion, he used to get up at like 5am, workout for a few hours, go to school, then workout again after school (nearly every day). The guy was willing to do whatever it took to be the best and I just don't sense that same drive in Wiggins. The guy doesn't even seem excited to be on the court most of the time and looks like he's just going through the motions.

I could be 100% wrong, but my gut tells me I won't be and I won't be surprised if Wiggins ends up being another Andre Iguodala and not another Lebron.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 11-13-2013 at 03:11 PM.

College is one thing, NBA another.

Parker certainly looks the part of a perennial All-Star, every bit the Paul Pierce type he's been billed as... but Wiggins has a higher ceiling as a true, all-around 'impact player'. For example I don't think Parker will ever make a true defensive impact on the NBA - I could be wrong, but I don't see it - whereas Wiggins could become an absolute defensive monster.

And while Wiggins is rawer right now, he has exactly the sort of game that will allow him to thrive in the NBA, where things are more open (at least in regular season play). He'll get a lot of transition points and straight lines to the basket... he's got the ability to draw tons of fouls with his slashing game too, with the sort of agility and body control you just can't teach. In today's NBA, he only needs that and the occasional 3 pointer to be a star (if he has only that he'll be an overrated one, but no one will care). Besides, you can see that the scoring talent is there - just look at the Kobe-esque stepback he made late in the game.

Not sold on Randle yet. He gets a lot of his points by overpowering opponents, doesn't finish that well through contact, relies a lot on guys biting on fakes good defenders don't actually bite on. What he's got going for him in the NBA is his quickness. He's got the tools to do a lot of damage... but at best I see him as a 20/10 player, only not of the the sort that you'd actually want leading your franchise. The Antoine Walker, Derrick Coleman type (not saying he plays like them, just in terms of impact).

In terms of pure potential, not just looking at the small sample of college games we have, Wiggins would be the sort of guy that could conceivably lead your franchise to a title down the line, Parker would make it a perennial playoff contender, and Randle would put up stats but keep you in mediocrity.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 11-13-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    College is one thing, NBA another.

Parker certainly looks the part of a perennial All-Star, every bit the Paul Pierce type he's been billed as... but Wiggins has a higher ceiling as a true, all-around 'impact player'. For example I don't think Parker will ever make a true defensive impact on the NBA - I could be wrong, but I don't see it - whereas Wiggins could become an absolute defensive monster.

And while Wiggins is rawer right now, he has exactly the sort of game that will allow him to thrive in the NBA, where things are more open (at least in regular season play). He'll get a lot of transition points and straight lines to the basket... he's got the ability to draw tons of fouls with his slashing game too, with the sort of agility and body control you just can't teach. In today's NBA, he only needs that and the occasional 3 pointer to be a star (if he has only that he'll be an overrated one, but no one will care). Besides, you can see that the scoring talent is there - just look at the Kobe-esque stepback he made late in the game.

Not sold on Randle yet. He gets a lot of his points by overpowering opponents, doesn't finish that well through contact, relies a lot on guys biting on fakes good defenders don't actually bite on. What he's got going for him in the NBA is his quickness. He's got the tools to do a lot of damage... but at best I see him as a 20/10 player, only not of the the sort that you'd actually want leading your franchise. The Antoine Walker, Derrick Coleman type (not saying he plays like them, just in terms of impact).
    Parker is a much better athlete than you are giving him credit for. He went backboard high to dunk one last night on the ooop. And he has that jab step and first step that allow him to get wherever he wants to go. All his tools were on display last night.

Give me the guy who has the great skills plus good to great athleticism any day over the great athlete that may never develop skills.

Classic example... you would be hard pressed to find a guy more athletic EVER than James White... or even Gerald Green. And yet both guys are in and out of the league.

It's quite obvious just by watching him on the court and listening to him in interviews. I've been following Kobe since 1995 and even back then it was apparent that he had a burning desire to be the best. I remember in an interview how he talked about how back at Lower Merion, he used to get up at like 5am, workout for a few hours, go to school, then workout again after school (nearly every day). The guy was willing to do whatever it took to be the best and I just don't sense that same drive in Wiggins. The guy doesn't even seem excited to be on the court most of the time and looks like he's just going through the motions.

I could be 100% wrong, but my gut tells me I won't be and I won't be surprised if Wiggins ends up being another Andre Iguodala and not another Lebron.
    Idk, it seems awfully silly to me that you are making that assumption based on a few interviews and two games. He might just be a soft spoken kid who gets nervous in front of the camera during interviews. Just because he isn't outspoken about how he wants to be the best or how hard he works but that doesn't mean the drive isn't there.

People tend to forget that these are kids who's game AND personality that will grow with time and experience.

I didn't say Parker wasn't a good athlete, just that Wiggins is noticeably better in that category. I don't question Parker's offense at all, I think he will be a tremendous offensive player in the NBA.

The Gerald Green or James White comparison I just don't see. Wiggins is raw, but he has a natural basketball talent these two just don't have. I think James White played four years in college, and his freshman year averaged something like 6 ppg... without the 1 and done rule, Wiggins would have been drafted first straight out of high school. The scouts aren't just seeing athleticism, they're seeing pure talent.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    I didn't say Parker wasn't a good athlete, just that Wiggins is noticeably better in that category. I don't question Parker's offense at all, I think he will be a tremendous offensive player in the NBA.

The Gerald Green or James White comparison I just don't see. Wiggins is raw, but he has a natural basketball talent these two just don't have. I think James White played four years in college, and his freshman year averaged something like 6 ppg... without the 1 and done rule, Wiggins would have been drafted first straight out of high school. The scouts aren't just seeing athleticism, they're seeing pure talent.
    I hear you. But there is nothing in Jabari's past or present that says he is not a good defender. In fact, he is known to be a very good defender already. Will he get better? Sure. And is that something he works on? Sure. But that is more out of desire to be the best than because he is somehow deficient.

Now, can Wiggins end up being the better defender? No doubt. But I doubt if Wiggins will ever be the offensive player Parker is. It is rare to find someone as big as Parker who is that fluid, great handles, great passer, stroke it from deep plus drive it to the hole. He has it all. With that package as long as he is not a liability on "D" it is hard to go wrong.

Plus I must say, I do love his on-court demeanor. There is no disappearing for long stretches with him. The kid is coming for you every night so you better be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth11
    I hear you. But there is nothing in Jabari's past or present that says he is not a good defender. In fact, he is known to be a very good defender already. Will he get better? Sure. And is that something he works on? Sure. But that is more out of desire to be the best than because he is somehow deficient.

Now, can Wiggins end up being the better defender? No doubt. But I doubt if Wiggins will ever be the offensive player Parker is. It is rare to find someone as big as Parker who is that fluid, great handles, great passer, stroke it from deep plus drive it to the hole. He has it all. With that package as long as he is not a liability on "D" it is hard to go wrong.

Plus I must say, I do love his on-court demeanor. There is no disappearing for long stretches with him. The kid is coming for you every night so you better be ready.
    Parker disappeared in the last and most important stretch of the game.....Not trying to argue that he didn't have a great game, but I think it's worth correcting that point.

Comparing a freshman who can put up 20 ppg easily against top competition to James White doesn't show much IQ btw. It's like I said in this or another thread last night, the way people are comparing Wiggins with Parker/Randle you'd think Wiggins is one of those clumsy big men that average 8/10 and are projected lottery picks based PURELY on potential. Ya, Wiggins is rawer, but in case people didn't notice, he scored 22 points on 9/15 shooting whiles missing the last 11 minutes of the first half. I feel like Mugatu when he says "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills". lol

It's not about Wiggins being better or having the better pro career. It's the fact that people are seemingly trying to reduce him to the Candy Man....yes, that name was dropped in reference to Wiggins....lol

Decent playground baller Bobby13's Avatar

Wiggins' close-out ability is insane. He has the potential to be one of the best defensive players ever with the tools he has. His offensive game is obviously limited right now. Just look at his jumper and his free throw motion. Clunky right now but do you really think he won't improve in that aspect as time moves forward? Right now I think he knows he has a poor jumper, so when he gets a favorable match-up he seems to dish it out because of non-confidence rather than attempt to break his man down. I feel like I've seen the kind of player Parker will be in the NBA. I haven't seen anything close to the kind of player Wiggins will be.

Banned

after 2 games at 18 years old it's impossible to tell and statements like this are just silly