Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mitch Kupchak to get Interview with Luke Walton After Houston Series

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    No one is saying that but yourself.. Obviously no one thinks he's going to get the same amount of wins, and that's not what a Walton hiring is about.

Walton is a great choice because he has huge upside for a rookie head coach. Only reason he succeeded as a player was due to his understanding of tactics. One year, I think because of injury, he took ass. coach duties documenting triangle offense sequences. IIRC he was also a ass. coach at Memphis during the lockout.
    Now he's been an ass. coach at an NBA champion, even took over when the HC was sick.. Sure the record was mainly achieved from the players and the work done previously, but he didn't mess it up by not being able to do the job.

Ever heard any of his former teammates say anything bad about this guy? Probably not, and probably because he's a nice guy to be around, which is needed if you're going to be telling NBA players what they're doing wrong for about 300 days a year.

No one can guarantee greatness, but this guy is a good as bet as any to have a great NBA career as a coach.

Default Re: Mitch Kupchak to get Interview with Luke Walton After Houston Series

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man River
    It was crazy luke made NBA, he didn't have super athleticism. But hard work. That kind of guy seems to make the best coach. Experience in NBA games so he knows how it goes. But very smart.
    Yup. Rarely do great players turn into great coaches. Probably because they have little patience and unobtainable expectations because they were so great. It's usually the scrubs who were very heady and used their brains to get it done that turn out to be good coaches. And having the right personality always helps too. Walton has both.

Fish is a guy who commands respect but doesn't seem to have the Xs and Os part down, which is obviously a no-no if you want a coach to actually win with.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Walton has the personality, commands the respect of NBA players and has the X's and O's to be the Lakers HC for the next 15-20 years. Some guys have the personality but can't coach while some have the X's and O's but can't command respect. When you find someone who can do both, you have to grab him. That's Walton.
    Anyone would look good coaching the Warriors.

Coaching Nick Young and DLo is not the same. Both being proven trouble makers

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    Anyone would look good coaching the Warriors.

Coaching Nick Young and DLo is not the same. Both being proven trouble makers
    Yeah, and Walton has the type of personality that commands respect from players. That's almost half of coaching at the NBA level. If you can't get the respect of players, you won't succeed. Walton can do that.

Let's see about that.

Decent playground baller

I hear Mike Brown is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kerry
    I hear Mike Brown is available.
    So is ur mom

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    So is ur mom
    I would actually find it quite awesome if my mom coached the Lakers.

I think you guys all are overrating Luke.. he took one of the best teams in history to a good record without Kerr but that doesn't mean he's the second coming of Jesus. With that said, I wouldn't put all my marbles into him.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Lakers interests, as well at the other teams looking at luke, doesnt solely stem from his interim HC record with the warriors. it also has to do with the NBA's well known knowledge of his often talked about BBIQ, his approachable personality, the different roles he was put in while still playing, his understanding of the offense AND defense the warriors run, and his acceptance/willingness to instill and embrace similar type of sets for a team he coaches in the future

there's obviously a huge risk is hiring him for a team already contending or near contedning. but for a young team like the lakers who have nowhere to go but up, this is a risk worth taking.