Not airballing my layups anymore

Default NYPD Put man in chokehold and he dies

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny...icle-1.1873033

Absolutely disgusting it all happened because he was selling single ciggaretes that is of course untaxed then he was put in a chokehold which ends up costing him his life.

They all stand around as he dies and one cop even takes phone and ciggs out of his pockets while he is unconscious

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: NYPD Put man in chokehold and he dies

and they even stole his shit!

thugs with a badge on

if I ever witness something like this I'm going to yell out "They're murdering him!! Call the police!!"

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: NYPD Put man in chokehold and he dies

Quote Originally Posted by J.101
    http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny...icle-1.1873033

Absolutely disgusting it all happened because he was selling single ciggaretes that is of course untaxed then he was put in a chokehold which ends up costing him his life.

They all stand around as he dies and one cop even takes phone and ciggs out of his pockets while he is unconscious
    Tragic case.
    3 points:

1. I do believe Garner's socio-economic position played a role in his death. Eg. I dont think the cops would have treated a man in a business suit like that. The fact that he was poor and probably powerless (politically/economically) made the cops think that there would be relatively low consequences for being tough with him. Eg. he is not likely to sue them. His race might also be a factor

2. However, I dont understand why people resist arrest. If a cop ever wanted to take me in, I would just go. It would suck, but there is no good outcome to resisting. I dont think in the history of the USA has a cop ever been like, well you dont want to be arrested? ok have a nice day.

3. I am not sure if the cops were overly brutal. That is how cops are trained to arrest someone. Most people would not have died from that, imo. I feel Garner's cardiovascular health played a role. Garner is also a very large man and obviously larger than any of the cops.

I dont think the cops should have been trying to arrest garner, but if a cop is trying to arrest you, you submit and later take legal action if appropriate. You cant physically resist.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 07-20-2014 at 11:22 AM.