Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Django Unchained: Big Dissapointment.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Based on what we knew of the character he made a conscious decision to kill Candie and give up. The character HAD to be in control and Candie took total control of the situation. Schultz knew he wasn't leaving alive, he's a thinker not a fighter, so he got the last word with Candie and then accepted his fate.

As long as it's within the realm of established possibilities for the character, it's fine. It sucks that ruined it for you though.

^ There you go.
    Yeah, maybe I'm obsessing too much over this event, but seeing Django kill 10 or so men without even being scratched makes me think that Schultz, who had a lot more combat experience could have taken at least that many, and of course, the two of them could have even killed all the guards.

In any case, it was a fun, enjoyable movie and I'm glad I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    ....I think it's just the nature of the film. It was a western about a protagonist winning back his girl.

It opens itself up to some straight up hero actions.

I think the over-the-top excellence, cleverness, and intelligence from Django was again an ode to the types of movies that influenced the creation of this one.

It can come across a little campy, but I think that was the point, and I loved it.

this.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    First off, Jamie Foxx couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Waltz and DiCaprio's shoulders had to be killing them after carrying his dead weight through 3/4 of the movie. The last 45 minutes was inexcusably bad.

And this wasn't typical Tarantino; typical Tarantino would have at least had some interesting plot twists and quirks. This couldn't have been any more formulaic. Totally wasted performances by Leo and Sam Jackson, and a cheesy, overtly predictable ending to make black people feel like justice was served or something.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I didn't like it, and the more I wish Tarantino could have made a real Western.
    I have to agree. Everything I have seen about Django...interviews, commercials, and the movie, made me feel like Tarantino was kissing ass and trying to give blacks a hero (his words not mine).

The notion that one in so many blacks are special is an old harmful stereotype, along with blacks being genetically different. Someone who has respect for blacks wouldn't just leave those notions out in the open to fester.

Mann from Rosewood was a much better hero in almost every sense.

Django killing 20 men that have been shooting all their lives with the trainjng he received in a montage was beyond corny.

Personally, I find the casting to be horrendous: I think Quentin tried too hard to cast Waltz he had to work around the whole foreign thingy. It is a Western; it should be strictly an American cowboy if he really wanted to pay homage. He should of had Leo play that role.

I think Leo did a great job playing Candie, but he just didn't fit that role. He's too young for a plantation owner and most of the movies he's in, he's always been the good guy, so it felt out of place seeing him as a bad guy, almost as bad as seeing Keanu Reeves in the Watcher. Sure he pulled it off with some slick acting skills, but with the proper role (Waltz's character for example), he would be in the running for an oscar. They could stick with the American angle and not some "foreigner who happens to be a bounty hunter in America" (which didn't make a lot of sense since we've never heard of America importing bounty hunters from other countries). It would of been more suitable if we saw an older actor like Tommy Lee Jones or Gary Sinise. I think they could of pulled the "evil" angle better because of just who they are and what the viewer would expect from them.

Sam. Jackson absolutely stole the show; I think that was the best acting I've seen him done. I'm surprise no one is talking about Kerri Washington; I thought she did a great job too.

The worst character was easily Foxx. He's so bad he couldn't even pull off a slave accent. It looks like he's practicing the role as they were shooting the movie because he got better in the second half. I think with that many star power they should of went with a solid unknown actor who can work an accent. It would of made more sense since Django's character was not significant until Schultz died, and this unknown actor (who nobody paid much attention to at the beginning) rises up, steals the show, and ends with a bang, which could make him the next big thing in hollywood.

Another negative I thought was how forced things were. The N word was just forced. My white GF was just laughing her a*ses off because she couldn't believe it was so openly out there while a few black guys near us were cringing. Of course, later on they were jerking it to a few scenes right after the cringe.

Overall, I think white people loved it because they can say the N word without fear of retribution and black people loved it for the scenes where they can jerk off to. I think that was what Quentin was truly aiming for: controversary
    Last edited by IamRAMBO24; 02-16-2013 at 11:09 AM.

I actually figured he'd accepted his fate at that point. I think he made his decision to shoot Candie knowing he wouldn't escape alive, regardless of his attempted survival tactics. He appeared to resign himself to the fact that the world is not a wonderful place, seeming unusually down and dejected as he sat in the library. He seemed done and he was going to take down a piece of evil along with him.

I disagree with this. It was a big problem for me, but not for the reason the original poster brought it up.

I don't believe for, not for a single moment, that his character would have done that and accepted his fate, because he would have been accepting the fate of Django and his girl. He wouldn't have done that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    The worst character was easily Foxx. He's so bad he couldn't even pull off a slave accent. It looks like he's practicing the role as they were shooting the movie because he got better in the second half. I think with that many star power they should of went with a solid unknown actor who can work an accent. It would of made more sense since Django's character was not significant until Schultz died, and this unknown actor (who nobody paid much attention to at the beginning) rises up, steals the show, and ends with a bang, which could make him the next big thing in hollywood.
    I'm not sure how Tarantino filmed this movie, but most directors film out of order. If Tarantino did film out of order as most directors do, then that wouldn't explain Foxx's acting getting better over time. That makes me think that the differences in Foxx over time were intentional character development of Foxx and Tarantino.

Learning to shoot layups MtMutombo's Avatar

I disagree with alot of the criticism being given. I feel like youre not giving room for directing style: talking about plot inconsistencies and insufficient character development. I read this being called an elevation of junk movies to an art form -- the best shit movie youll ever see.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

I actually figured he'd accepted his fate at that point. I think he made his decision to shoot Candie knowing he wouldn't escape alive, regardless of his attempted survival tactics. He appeared to resign himself to the fact that the world is not a wonderful place, seeming unusually down and dejected as he sat in the library. He seemed done and he was going to take down a piece of evil along with him.
    This makes sense.

The plot hole that doesn't make sense is, why wouldn't he tell Django about it beforehand? He's got a guy with a 600-round magazine in his revolver capable of defeating anywhere from 30-60 bad guys in one sitting without sustaining a scratch, and he doesn't tell him to be on his toes? Makes no sense.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

I think Leo did a great job playing Candie, but he just didn't fit that role. He's too young for a plantation owner and most of the movies he's in, he's always been the good guy, so it felt out of place seeing him as a bad guy

"Agreed. That never works, especially in Westerns."

Watched it yesterday and it was a bit of dissapointment.

I am annoyed with the fact that such topics as WWII, slavery are turned into entertainment. The movie was set up so well, it was like reading a comic. It wasn't a real life, but some surrealistical, stylish world, with good and bad, this and that, but in style. Well it's a typical Tarantino movie I'd say, but it has no moral, just a good entertainment.

So I'm just not sure.

Personally, I find the casting to be horrendous: I think Quentin tried too hard to cast Waltz he had to work around the whole foreign thingy. It is a Western; it should be strictly an American cowboy if he really wanted to pay homage. He should of had Leo play that role.
    This does raise an interesting point regarding Waltz' character. It's pretty clear King Schultz was tailor made by Tarantino for Waltz: King Schultz is just another cultured and highly capable German eccentric like Cl. Landa.

How much better would it have been if he had the obviously European Waltz play a stone-faced American like the spaghetti westerns of yesteryear used to do? (i.e. as in the original Django)

That said Tarantino was having way too much fun bastardizing German names in the movie.

Why do we love Django Unchained? Because it's the only place where you can see a ***** riding a horse.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    repped