Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    High School Starter LutherHeadJob's Avatar

Default Re: Do you think the Beijing Olympics will be Rigged?

pff. yao will easily avg 50 ppg once he gets back from his injury, no rigging required

but they will probably rig it anyway

seriously though, team china will win the gold medal i reckon (LOL)

ok seriously from now on
    USA can't beat the europeans anymore so i don't think they will win... Seriously

my tip: Argentina to win gold

Australia..are we even in the basketball event?...pointless, we will even lose to china..
    Last edited by LutherHeadJob; 03-10-2008 at 04:00 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruinlove
    China has far from the strongest basketball team on the world stage, but they have the largest fanbase of the sport in the world, and Yao ended the season in order to get healthy for the Olympic games. The basketball tournament is hyped up in China and the fans are expecting alot. I think China will get put into a weak basketball pool and even then have the refs throw the game in their favor until the semifinals in which case it will be too obvious to throw the game in their favor, China will get blown out and they will have to settle for the bronze, which they will win in another rigged game. Am I the only one who thinks that will happen?
    Here is how it works, according to the Chinese officials, basketball is the fourth most popular sport in the olympics behind track, gymnastics and swimming, so it is important, but not the be all and end all you make it out to be. The Chinese Olympic officials (their sporting federation whatever...) actually backed out of a few ventures to promote hoops from 2006 to 2008 because they deemed it not worthwhile, I know this because my old company bid on a few projects.

There will be some shenanigans, tomfoolery or chicanery, but it will probably not be in basketball. My bet is gymnastics or diving where judges are vulnerable to bribery. Koreans are the masters of this:

-In 1988 a Korean boxer defeated Roy Jones Jr. in a split decision despite getting out punched by almost 100 punches.
    -In the 2002 world cup reliable sources heard rumors that the prostitutes and large sums of US Dollars were sent to the referees hotel rooms the night before Korea match against Spain, where in which dodgy officiating gave Korea the win.

I don't think China will cheat because they are a force in the Olympics already, and all the demonstration sports will be weird ass games that are only played in China so they will own those too.

The Chinese are very keen to win it all however, so you can bet that if it is close there will be some judges at the pool or the gymnastics venue looking a little too favorably on China.

In hoops they realize their limitations.

Very good NBA starter

of course, it's gonna be rigged.

that's why teams have to blow out china by quite a margin or else you can be sure there's gonna be a lot of bullsh.t calls late in the game.

a missed whistle here and a bullsh!t foul call there can easily change the outcome. and these phantom calls can be very damaging to opposing teams because china can shoot their free throws.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

If you're going to say that the Chinese team will easily beat the Australian team, please do some research first. China (with Yao and Yi) can't even beat teams from the Australian NBL competition - the last time they played against a NBL team, the Sydney Kings, game ended in a draw when the Kings coach told his team to leave the court before overtime, feeling they were Kobe'd by the refs.

It won't be all Chinese refs at the Olympics though so it'll be hard to rig it. And the refs would have to really, really, really work hard to get the Chinese hoops team a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    The home team always gets put in a weak pool. Look at Germany in the last World Cup. Such a breeze.
    Well, Germany is far better compared with the Koreans, who clinched the Semi-final by abusing their Home court's referee power.

the home team always gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs. in all the competitions and sports. just the way things work.

though, i wouldn't call it outright "rigged"...in most cases it doesn't amount to that much. they'll probably get a few doubtable calls here and there, along with the easier seeding...but i still can't see them winning a medal.

and yeah, south korea in 2002 WC was a bit more extreme example.

Dunking on everybody in the park jason816's Avatar

somebody said it right.

China dominates in a lots of field.
    for years, China holds more gold medals than any other countries except USA.. this year, we may have a good competition~ especially it's in our home.

Basketball, we know our limits, we are improving.
    don't say things like you know all about we chinese just because you watched TV. especially propaganda kind of sh*t

Olympic refs are from varying countries, not just the host country.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    Olympic refs are from varying countries, not just the host country.
    money is spent everywhere

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

This thread is a load of pish1you guys are all paranoid,it won't be rigged,China don't stand a chance,it would need to be more than rigged for them to do anything.All the european teams in the comp and Australia are better than China,and no refereeing decisions is going to help them.Yes Yao is good,Yi is still green but there is nothing else.I have seen Spain destroy them twice in a week in a couple of friendlies that was with Yao and Yi ,and I also saw that game that someone else was referring to against the sydney Kings.
    Guys stop being so Paranoid,nothing will be rigged.

Decent playground baller simasu01's Avatar

china has absolutely no chance, just about every team that qualified is better than them. dont talk **** about lithuania, we're gonna be win it, and for that matter, we're in NORTHERN Europe.

Saw a basketball once Ballertom04's Avatar

Talking Re: Do you think the Beijing Olympics will be Rigged?

China Are A Really Good Team But Riggin The Compition Won't Do Much HAHA
    Last edited by Ballertom04; 06-03-2008 at 03:51 AM.

I rule the local playground

Let's be serious.

Spain would destroy Chinese team.
    Argentina would destroy Chinese team.
    USA would destroy Chinese team.
    Lithuania would destroy Chinese team.
    Greece would win Chinese team.
    France would win Chinese team.
    Italy would win Chinese team.
    Germany would win Chinese team.
    Brazil would win chinese team.
    etc...

Chinese would be good when they get 10 NBA players... but not now.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by LutherHeadJob
    ok seriously from now on
    USA can't beat the europeans anymore so i don't think they will win... Seriously

my tip: Argentina to win gold

Australia..are we even in the basketball event?...pointless, we will even lose to china..
    USA hasn't sent their best players for quite some time. Even this year some of the best are missing, but at least Kobe will be there, even though he'll be playing through an injury.

Here's the thing that I can't believe most people don't talk about. The European basketball rules are different so a less athletic player has a better chance against a more athletic player. I can't wait until FIBA adopts more of the NBA rules. I believe that happens in 2010. Just wait until European athletes have to run a longer court, shoot a longer 3, and don't have a trapezoid for a lane. It's no coincidence that many of the Europeans that come to play in the NBA are busts, but we can send our second rate college athletes to go play in the euroleagues.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
    I loled. I heard Heat is still paying the refs for the 06
    That is funny. I'm not a fan of the Heat or the Mavericks but I've been saying that for the past couple of years as well. I think there is even something to be said about this years playoffs. Instant replay would fix a lot of problems.