Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tips on protecting the ball(especially when going up)

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    dont cuff the ball like a running back. 2 reasons, its easy for someone to grap a hold of it. the other is it can easily be called as a carry in highschool. if you want to learn how to drive strong and properly, watch d rose.

watch the first layup. power dribble, hard 1 2 step while bringing the ball up and over from waist to waist then finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5bFtysx30o
    some of the shit d rose does is not even possible to copy without his athleticism.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

I am the next D-

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Thanks for the advice guys. Also, is there a counter move to the eurostep like if it gets too predictable for the defender? The only moves I really use in transition are pausing at the free throw then changing speed & finishing, spinning of the defender for a lay in the middle of the lane, and the eurostep.
    Welp, for me, the Euro-step is my counter move to the hard drive. If a defender is not in position to square me up or set his feet while I'm in transition, I'm probably going right to the rack and finishing strong. I'm only breaking out the Euro if my defender has position and he's bought into the fact I'm likely going to try a direct route to the hoop. At that point, as we all know, the initial step of the Euro is to convince him of his prediction while the second step would be in the opposite direction of where he's headed.

Basically, I don't Euro without reason. And even then, it's always possible for the defender to make a spectacular play or to outsmart you by making you think he thought you were going all the way to the rack when he actually knew that'd lead you to Euro-stepping. At that point, there's not a whole lot that can be done. Sometimes the defense wins the chess match.

To be really honest, if you're just looking for another fast break direction change to add to the arsenal, I'd add the behind the back gather. I mean this sincerely when I say it's really not as difficult as people like to think it is. It's perfect for moments when a defender thinks he's got a beat on the ball and is playing to stop the front of your body. It's a situation where he might be able to challenge you at the rim if you go strong or strip you if you attempt a Euro. The behind the back gather allows for a seamless direction change where the defender is not allowed a play on the ball. I use it most often when a defender is overplaying one side of my body, seemingly funneling me in one direction. It's particularly effective if your showing of the ball on one side convinces the defense to go for the strip; in that case the results could look spectacular. This is a perfect example, except in full truth, the finish is usually not as complicated as Jennings made his here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEy1olTfCn8
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.

If there are multiple defenders when I do the behind the back gather should I come to a jump stop, or go up in one motion?

Dude should be moving backwards when you are getting ready to jump. Control the area around you. Lead with your body and shoulder. That means if someone is in the way, they get your shoulder before they get the ball. People shouldn't be able to step into you and block/strip you without fouling you if you play it right.

If people are stripping you from the side who aren't your defender, then you might want to pass da ball more often.

Go through people. LEARN TO LOVE CONTACT.

-Smak

If there are multiple defenders when I do the behind the back gather should I come to a jump stop, or go up in one motion?
    PASS.

-Smak

you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING like that with multiple defenders on you

give the ball up, unselfishness is contagious, you'll get it back

NBA Superstar

As others have said, it's not a move made to weave through a bevy of defenders. It's a one-on-one transition move meant to counter a streaking defender looking to strip, reach, foul, or extremely force you to one side of the hoop. It's certainly not a move one can plan out 8 dribbles in advance (so no "I think I'll come down and try the behind-the-back" situations). It's just a counter to have in the back pocket. And in those cases, since I'm on the run in transition, I do not stop en route to the hoop. It's more or less a layup gather, but on the other side of your body.

Ah, okay. I know the proper thing to do if none of my teammates are down the court yet is to pull the ball out and run the offense but sometimes in games when my adrenaline is pumping my basketball iq goes down the drain. I'm normally not a selfish player though.

Ah, okay. I know the proper thing to do if none of my teammates are down the court yet is to pull the ball out and run the offense but sometimes in games when my adrenaline is pumping my basketball iq goes down the drain. I'm normally not a selfish player though.
    LOL yea adrenaline makes you feel like you're fcuking lebron sometimes
    easiest way to pick up a charge or commit a turnover. Coaches see those situations coming a mile away and they tend to favor players who read it too.