Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Can someone please explain the world of high fashion to me? (contains NSFW link)

I understand that for certain jobs and occasions I'm supposed to wear a suit, and comprehend that certain colors clash. Don't want to wear pants that are too tight but don't want to be sagging either. I guess that means my knowledge is too limited because I just don't get this. If you scroll down in that link you'll see stuff that you don't want your co-workers catching you looking at. Here's the PG pic:

Who is buying these clothes, and how does this kind of thing make these designers so wealthy?

Default Re: Can someone please explain the world of high fashion to me? (contains NSFW link)

I'm no expert but I always thought the point was to be different for the sake of being different. Its mostly the 1% who buy stuff like this, simply because they can and it separates them from us. And quite frankly, they can continue to do so because I wouldn't wear any of that shit. This guy's wearing a corset, a bustier or whatever you want to call it:

Default Re: Can someone please explain the world of high fashion to me? (contains NSFW link)

The link is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    The link is broken.
    The auto-censor kills part of the link, sorry. Here's the site: http://www.theguardian.com/fashion The curious will just have to find it for themselves.

retarded industry, from retards to retards

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    I'm no expert but I always thought the point was to be different for the sake of being different. Its mostly the 1% who buy stuff like this, simply because they can and it separates them from us.
    I guess that's all there is to it. If I was a billionaire I still don't think that I would dress that way but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The auto-censor kills part of the link, sorry. Here's the site: http://www.theguardian.com/fashion The curious will just have to find it for themselves.
    Found it, thanks. I wish I hadn't, though.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

I guess it's become saturated to the point where the most outrageous and obnoxious designs are popular because they are new, "innovative" and "creative"..

Think of it as a concept car. Those clothes aren't meant to be worn and aren't for the consumer market, they are meant as a promotion for the brand and to explore design possibilities to an extreme, that will then be applied to consumer market clothing in a more functional way.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Think of it as a concept car. Those clothes aren't meant to be worn and aren't for the consumer market, they are meant as a promotion for the brand and to explore design possibilities to an extreme, that will then be applied to consumer market clothing in a more functional way.
    So what does the designer tell Gap the functional application of a hole for the balls is?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    So what does the designer tell Gap the functional application of a hole for the balls is?
    It's an extreme. The functional equivalent would be ***** cleavage a la the Rolling Stone Sticky Fingers album cover. I think fashion is wack too, I'm not defending it. You ask what the justification is, I told you.

It's an extreme. The functional equivalent would be ***** cleavage a la the Rolling Stone Sticky Fingers album cover. I think fashion is wack too, I'm not defending it. You ask what the justification is, I told you.
    True, I'm just asking the question.

Cleavage?

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

It's like going to an art show...actually it literally is an "art show"

it's not meant to be practical clothing

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Cleavage?
    That's why I gave the example to go with it, jackass.