Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman

SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: STAT Just Showed Me That Athletes Adding Muscle Hurts Athleticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbrook0
The f*ck? Some people seriously didn't know this?

More muscle = more mass = more weight to try to push up off the ground when going up for a dunk.

That's why the best dunkers in the world aren't in the NBA, because they only work on their hops, whereas NBA players bulk up their entire body.

How do you work on your hop? You still do full body work out.
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdom
Am I the only one that's scared?
LMFAO I just noticed how awesome that response is Detroitdogg beastin on IH
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #33
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
what program did u use to make the players from the 80s look faster?
inclinerator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #34
t-rex
17 NBA Championships

t-rex has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
No, I've noticed this for a long time - NBA players today have become so massive that highlight footage today actually looks worse than highlight footage from 20 years ago. The guys today, despite their strength and momentous drives - do NOT have the same spring in their step as guys from previous eras that were smaller (or the spring in their step from when they were a lighter weight version of themselves). 6-3.75 Dwayne Wade likes to play heavier than the 7-0 David Robinson played at in the 1989 Olympic games... Does that make Wade a beast? I'll tell you what it makes him:

Too. ****ing. Heavy.

David Robinson's BMI was 22.5 during the 1989 Olympics (7-0 barefoot, 226lbs)

Dwyane Wade's BMI was 28.8 last season (6-3.75 barefoot, 235)

Healthy BMI range = 18.5 to 24.9

Anything heavier is mild obesity, and anything 30.0 or more is obesity. Dude's mass to height ratio is borderline obesity. Muscle don't mean shit to your bones and joints, the human body is handicapped and injury prone with that kind of mass, not to mention the more massive you are the more your fighting the laws of physics. Dwane Wade will jump highest and run fastest if he optimizes power with a lean physique not a heavy one. I've calculated all the fastest men and the highest leapers of all time, the sprinters BMI is always right about 23.5. The best jumpers are always right about 22.5 - and low and behold the same holds true for NBA athletes that have had the most jaw-dropping hang-time. Wade has basically "bulked up" to the size of the centers from years past and his guard-sized skeleton is not at all doing well with it. The NBA players that cave into the "you gotta put on weight!" crap keep getting injured far younger in their careers than past NBA players used too.

Wow! That's a good post!
t-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #35
t-rex
17 NBA Championships

t-rex has an OK reputation so far

This is a good topic. I have often wondered myself if lifting weights to the degree some athletes do is really beneficial. I personally don't think that having a weight lifters body is really helpful. And it seems as though weight lifters (and people who look like them) suffer more injuries and actually die younger than their counterparts.

Of course nobody is saying its okay to be a fat slob, but I do believe that all of the "bulking up" is leading to more injuries in both the NBA and NFL. I also think there are a lot of really good posts in this thread showing that constantly adding muscle can actually limit pure athleticism.

I wonder if a player like Durant will succumb to the pressure of weight lifting and the need to "bulk up" as his career progresses. I actually think such weigh gain would hurt his play more than help.

Tiger Woods greatly bulked up later in his golfing career, adding more than 30 pounds of muscle to his originally skinny, athletic frame. Ironically, at the same time, he also suffers from far more injuries today than he did before he was involved with heavy weight lifting.
t-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inclinerator
what program did u use to make the players from the 80s look faster?
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #37
arifgokcen
DON'T FEED THE TROLL

arifgokcen has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by che guevara
Wade's the exact same size as last season, I don't know what you're talking about. He's just injured.

I'm also not convinced Lebron's any bigger than he was his last year in Cleveland, he looks pretty much the same.

He certainly looks bulkier,however i remember back in cavs days besides shaq,he used to weigh more than anybody in the locker room and since ilgauskas was around 260,its safe to assume he declined athletically a little bit.Because this year before season started some report said he weighs 266lbs.

He still jumps just as high but doesnt have the same explosiveness off the dribble he had in cavs days.
arifgokcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdogg
Do you watch basketball hoe ass nygga.

That is the greatest thing I've ever read on here.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: