Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 07-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #31
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Default Re: Healthy Season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
These are the goals I think the Nets should take step by step (all of them are important, but just step by step)

1. Start the season strong.
2. Avoid playing sub.500 ball for stretches at a time.
3. Win the Atlantic Division
4. Reach the ECF

5. Once there the title talk can wait

if the injury bug hits again, I hope each Net from 1-15 realizes that this is not an excuse to play .500 ball the rest of the season. give each game your very best.

How long can it wait. Until Kidd reaches age 40?
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #32
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
How long can it wait. Until Kidd reaches age 40?

Kidd and the Nets want the title now.

but we as fans should also want them to win it but also maintain something resembling rationality... if we don't we are no better than Laker fans
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #33
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Kidd and the Nets want the title now.

but we as fans should also want them to win it but also maintain something resembling rationality... if we don't we are no better than Laker fans
no, i do understand your viewpoint. But VC, do you remember at the beginning of last season (before it started) when the Nets were talking championship? The talk was serious and legit before the various injuries, so heading into the new season with pretty much the same team why should the goal suddenly be just ECF?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #34
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Quote:
no, i do understand your viewpoint. But VC, do you remember at the beginning of last season (before it started) when the Nets were talking championship? The talk was serious and legit before the various injuries, so heading into the new season with pretty much the same team why should the goal suddenly be just ECF?

Because when they were talking about the title last year, it was only a way to pump them up.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #35
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

damn it I had a long and thorough post but it was deleted and mismanaged.

anyway the gist of it was that the Nets felt that with a little more offense off the bench (a major weakness of the 05-06 bench) and Carter taking care of the ball a little better, and Krstic not vanishing for no reason (as he did vs the Heat in 06) then they could have advanced past the eventual champs and who knows what they could have done?

but even with the injuries, there are too many "what ifs" to say that the Nets will suddenly be a title contender. so the expectations are lowered, but Thorn and Stefanski have been quoted in the papers mentioning "wide open East" so they still belive this squad can do damage
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #36
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
Because when they were talking about the title last year, it was only a way to pump them up.
No it wasn't. The Nets lost to the eventual champion which was the Heat. However, they weren't blown out as they had been in the previous years and only lost that series because of poor execution down the stretch of games as well as Krstic not showing up. So, knowing that they could beat the heat , the team that won the Championship the previous year, they felt they had a legit chance to get it done the following season if everyone played hard and stayed relatively injury free.

edit: not that i'm saying they were a favorite to win a championship or anything but they had it as a realistic goal.

Last edited by haterofhaters : 07-08-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #37
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

Quote:
No it wasn't. The Nets lost to the eventual champion which was the Heat. However, they weren't blown out as they had been in the previous years and only lost that series because of poor execution down the stretch of games as well as Krstic not showing up. So, knowing that they could beat the heat , the team that won the Championship the previous year, they felt they had a legit chance to get it done the following season if everyone played hard and stayed relatively injury free.

edit: not that i'm saying they were a favorite to win a championship or anything but they had it as a realistic goal.

That's taking things out of context. The Heat played much better against the Pistons and the Mavs than they did against the Nets, as it's natural for teams to step it up against tougher opponents. The Nets still lost 4-1.

My point is that every team is a little over hyped about themselves. Which is only natural, because if they don't believe in themselves, no one else will. I still believe back then, the Nets winning a championship was far fetched. Making it to the ECF would be a more realistic goal.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: