Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I rule the local playground PieceOfFelt's Avatar

Default What impact would prime Horace Grant have on the Miami Heat?

It seems to me that he is the type of a player that they really need. He provided toughness, good rebounding, good interior defense, shot blocking and a good mid range game as well.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: What impact would prime Horace Grant have on the Miami Heat?

he's everything the heat needs to be perfect

Banned

replace Bosh with this guy and the Heat are a lock for 3 peat if Wade is able to walk.
    i really learned to like bosh lately but his defense against real Centers is just so damn pathetic i would replace him with grant every day

Prime Grant would be a better fit for this Heat team if Wade was healthy and consistently producing on offense in tandem with Lebron( the 2011 Heat). Bosh's scoring ability is a better fit for the Heat with an oft- injured, slightly diminished Wade(2012 onward).

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

His Grantland interview was interesting

Defensively the team would get better but offensively it would get worse if you replace Bosh with Grant. Lebron needs a ton of shooters for his game to be effective.

Bosh was pretty much relegated to being a spot shooter when he joined the Heat. Grant was more of a garbage scorer around the basket off feeds from Jordan/ Pippen penetration and putbacks. He had a decent mid range jumper from 15-16 feet, not as prolific as Bosh but good enough to keep you honest.

As I said, I think Grant would be a better fit for the Heat if you had a healthy Wade/Lebron duo putting up 25+ each like in 2011, in that case his interior defense, rebounding and toughness would imo be more of an asset than Bosh's scoring. Bosh is more valuable in a situation where having a viable third scoring option is needed, especially with Wade's declining health and inconsistent play since 2012 due to that factor.

I Rep the Thunder! Thunderfan86's Avatar

Stacked

Lebron of ISH

68-70 win team. They go through Pacers and Spurs much easier

I don't think you lose that much offensively if you replace current Bosh with prime Grant. In any other team maybe but in the Heat Bosh is not a big scorer at all. Grant is fully capable of replacing Bosh's 16 ppg. Grant scored 15+ ppg very regularly and had a great mid range jumper, something the Heat can capitalize on.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LeGOAT
    68-70 win team. They go through Pacers and Spurs much easier

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    I don't think you lose that much offensively if you replace current Bosh with prime Grant. In any other team maybe but in the Heat Bosh is not a big scorer at all. Grant is fully capable of replacing Bosh's 16 ppg. Grant scored 15+ ppg very regularly and had a great mid range jumper, something the Heat can capitalize on.
    Grant didnt have the ability to go off for 30+ like Bosh can though. His numbers have dropped, but in addition to being a better overall shooter Bosh can face up and take opposing Pfs off the dribble, something not in Grant's reportoire. If the Heat are in a situation where both Wade and Lebron are on the bench, you can still feature Bosh offensively. You couldnt do that with Grant.

He pretty much would give the Heat what Bosh currently gives, but slightly better when it comes to rebounding & post defense with obvious deficiencies on offense. He was a decent 15/10 guy, but he couldn't be your #1 or #2 scoring option if you're trying to build a championship team. I think Bosh is way more valuable when you look at the whole package & what he did in the Finals on the defensive end last season.

It depends on what version of him the Heat would get though. I think they only improve if they got '92 Horace Grant, any other version of him IMO they would pretty much be the same with slight improvement on defense & boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    Grant didnt have the ability to go off for 30+ like Bosh can though. His numbers have dropped, but in addition to being a better overall shooter Bosh can face up and take opposing Pfs off the dribble, something not in Grant's reportoire. If the Heat are in a situation where both Wade and Lebron are on the bench, you can still feature Bosh offensively. You couldnt do that with Grant.
    Of course Bosh is a much better offensive player. I'm just saying it doesn't matter too much in the Miami team. The offense is not gonna fall apart just because there's no Bosh to be featured offensively on the floor for a few minutes a game, especially it's usually against other team's bench.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    Prime Grant would be a better fit for this Heat team if Wade was healthy and consistently producing on offense in tandem with Lebron( the 2011 Heat). Bosh's scoring ability is a better fit for the Heat with an oft- injured, slightly diminished Wade(2012 onward).
    This. Grant also does not provide the same spacing that Bosh does. He had range out to 18-20 feet, but not Bosh-type range. And I'm not sure why the folks who cited Bosh's defense against true centers believe that Grant would do any better - he didn't defend centers in his day.