Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: True or False?: Are we a better team without Calderon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
Do you think Jose, Parker, Willy, Roko are hard to guard on a nightly basis?

NO ..... you just stand and let them shoot the ball ........

Good teams make the apposing teams players actually work on defense ....

Right now Bosh, O'Neil, Bargnani are the only players making the other teams defenders work ....

Against Jose and Parker, if you just stand there, they make three-pointers after three-pointers
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCardelle
BTW, Solomon better than Calderon running the fastbreak? are you serious? Solomon makes his job, but he can be barely called a PG!

Solomon is only better in fastbreak because:

i) he takes the risk of an early outlet pass...
ii) he doesn't come to the ball after team rebounds, but hangs out at the half way line waiting for the pass (Jose would run towards the rebounder and ask the ball to be handed.. if you know what i mean)

then again, Solomon is risking turnovers for quick easy baskets
Old 01-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

FCardelle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
Solomon is only better in fastbreak because:

i) he takes the risk of an early outlet pass...
ii) he doesn't come to the ball after team rebounds, but hangs out at the half way line waiting for the pass (Jose would run towards the rebounder and ask the ball to be handed.. if you know what i mean)

then again, Solomon is risking turnovers for quick easy baskets

Calderon does what a PG is supposed to do. After a rebound, the opposing center (or forward) will try to put on the pressure to make difficult the first pass. Then it is a responsability for the PG to go for the ball. If the PG goes to midcourt, the center has to do a risky and slow pass resulting in turnovers, never in fastbreaks.

If a risky pass has to be done, it will be from the PG to the forward to finish the fastbreak, never from the rebounder to the PG.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Calderon does what a PG is supposed to do. After a rebound, the opposing center (or forward) will try to put on the pressure to make difficult the first pass. Then it is a responsability for the PG to go for the ball. If the PG goes to midcourt, the center has to do a risky and slow pass resulting in turnovers, never in fastbreaks.

If a risky pass has to be done, it will be from the PG to the forward to finish the fastbreak, never from the rebounder to the PG.

i agree with you, i am just pointing out why solomon is good for fastbreaks.

Ukic is even worse as he is waaaay ahead (usually camps on the halfway line)
Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #20
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

With Sam Mitchell has head coach Jose was the better fit at Pg for the Raps.

But with Jay Triano he is not.

Sam was a half court offense type of coach and Triano wants to run and Jose is a PG who much better runs the half court sets.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
With Sam Mitchell has head coach Jose was the better fit at Pg for the Raps.

But with Jay Triano he is not.

Sam was a half court offense type of coach and Triano wants to run and Jose is a PG who much better runs the half court sets.

Agree,

Sam was half court coach .......

Triano wants to push and run ......
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #22
GoodTrade
I airball my layups

GoodTrade has an OK reputation so far

Raps r better w SOLO-man and U-Kick when JC is not 100%....I would keep Jose out of the games until late January to early February as he is just killing the chemistry and can't guard a one legged pirate.
GoodTrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

These are all valid points. I think overall Jose is the best out of those PG's but he is definitely the worst on Defence. I saw Rondo walk around him like a pilon today way to many times just to kick it out to Allen for the three. This loss IMO falls on the shoulders of Triano. He's wached Calderon get beat time after time after time just this season by the fast/quicker type points. The team must have scouted and seen what happened to the Celtics and why they have been losing as of late. The simple solution start the biggest quickest PG you have and keep Rondo out of the lane. To bad he figured it out too late. After Ukic came in starting of the fourth the Raps made a huge run and almost took the game. I for one hope that he starts Ukic tommorow at the PG and sits down and talks to JOSE to tell him he has to 1- work a lot on his defence and agressiveness and 2 - take it to the hole and run the FB as quickly as possible even if it means turning the ball over slightly more. This team is wasting wasy to many easy oppurtunities and losing b/c of it. I saw three clear plays where Jose could have thrown the back door of the high screen where he cuts down and ample room. Nothing dribble out and waste another 5 sec. IMO if his defence doesn't get better we will have to trade him in the offseason for a PG that can defend.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #24
gecko044
I airball my layups

gecko044 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTrade
Raps r better w SOLO-man and U-Kick when JC is not 100%....I would keep Jose out of the games until late January to early February as he is just killing the chemistry and can't guard a one legged pirate.

is tht with the injury or without?? lol
today the commentators were saying how Jose couldnt do much in the game cuz of his bad hamstring but lets face it....the last two games we faced the celts, Rondo killed him! the moment Rondo started his drive, Jose's feet stopped, Jose looked to the basket, Rondo completed the "play" (not necessarily a layup or DUNK....did u see tht today???), Jose whined to his team mates. it was written all over his face "wheres the help D???? :'( "
gecko044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #25
gecko044
I airball my layups

gecko044 has an OK reputation so far

you knw wht tho? Calderon's numbers are always compared to the elite pgs when he's facing them and they turn out to be better in terms of scoring and the analysts go off saying "oh Jose held his own agains Chris Paul or Tony Parker or Deron Williams." but at the end we lose tht game! reason? Jose's lack of aggression and defense allows those elite pgs to create easier opportunities for their team.
first of all, Jose is NOT an elite pg and he shouldn't be compared to them. forget his assist to turnover ratio cuz his assists arent game changing moves...they are always very very safe passes from outside the 3pt line most of the time. give me some risk, some drive and kick, make the defense collapse on you! and then bring on those comparisons!

i love the way Ukic plays. the guy is still learning but he seems like someone who doesnt need to look back to the coach during the game to tell him wht to do next. did you see tht pass when he was down on the floor with two celts abt to jump on him??
if Calderon is traded, it should be for a wing. no sense in trading a pg for a pg. why would any team do tht?

and TRUE!! i would rather have the team run by Ukic in the very near future because he should be ready to take the reigns sooooooooooooooooooon.......
gecko044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #26
EuroWise
GM Star

EuroWise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Agree!!
EuroWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

We knew Jose was bad at D when we got him, when we have played him and when we signed him to an extension. So, work with it. Build around him to have better wing and paint defenders. He's a very good offensive PG. Everyone wants more fast break's, but it's not like our scoring has been that much of an issue. So if we're slower, and have less turnovers, it might be wash compared to Jose speeding up, getting a few more easy buckets but also a few more TOs.

Jose is fine as out PG. CP, Dwill and Tony Parker usually abuse most PGs they play against, even each other. It's hard to stop an elite PG, just like it's hard to stop an elite player at really any position.

We need to get better at team D, because we are a lot better with Jose getting the ball to the right people, them Solomon jacking up jumpers Mike James style.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #28
jwen_99
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jwen_99 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
Self-explanitory, and might I add:

Are we a better defensive team, the saying goes "The Defense starts at the pg spot"?

More fastbreak pts without Calderon?

In general, are we a better team without Calderon. 4-1 without him right now and beating 2 legit contenders. Also beating the best road team in the NBA, Orlando.
True++++++++++++
jwen_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: