Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default How Athletic Was 93-98 MJ?

Wondering for those who watched live. From what I can tell, MJ was basically a 6'6" Westbrook until 1991 or so, that's when his dunks stopped looking as ridiculous (not as many near-foul line off two feet dunks) and he started doing more layups. He was still a super-athlete til' 91 I'd guess, but how athletic was MJ from '93 to the end of the second 3peat in '98? Did he completely lose his bounce? how quick was he during that time period?

Default Re: How Athletic Was 93-98 MJ?

He was like 2016 Lebron.

Jordan was still insanely athletic in '92. Dunks started to become less frequent. Played smarter. More and more using post up game. Less and less offense off the dribble drive.

He was still probably the best athlete in 93 as well, but he traded off muscle for reduced bounce. Top of the line in the league most likely, yet still.

'96 he had a noticeable decline, quickness as well. Added upper body mass for almost exclusively a post up game. But it took away his legs by the Finals. Dropped weight going into the 97 season, regained a small amount of hops but even more quickness.

By the '98 games in France before the season it was evident all his insane aerial athleticism was gone. Still panther like quickness.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    Wondering for those who watched live. From what I can tell, MJ was basically a 6'6" Westbrook until 1991 or so, that's when his dunks stopped looking as ridiculous (not as many near-foul line off two feet dunks) and he started doing more layups. He was still a super-athlete til' 91 I'd guess, but how athletic was MJ from '93 to the end of the second 3peat in '98? Did he completely lose his bounce? how quick was he during that time period?
    MORE ATHLETIC THAN PRIME LEBRON

That is MJ from the ages of 30-35, so he was obviously past his physical peak.

MJ really had 2 body types. Pre-1990 and post-1990. Of course he decided to bulk up after the 1989 playoffs because of the Bad Boy Pistons and their level of physicality. Pre-1990 MJ was the best athlete I had ever seen on a bball court in terms of fluidity, agility, coordination, reflexes, no wasted motion and quickness (for his size). I mean there is a REASON why this guy has hundred of moves that no one has been able to duplicate. His ability to contort his body in so many different ways and get off numerous launch points is evidence of this. No one has really come close to his level of in the air agility.

Post-1990 MJ was when he started to bulk up his body. And when you add muscle and bulk up, you sacrifice some the of agility/fluidity/explosiveness, which was the case for MJ. But I would still say he was the best athlete in the game even up until 1993.

1996 is when you can argue there were other athletes as well rounded as him, especially when it comes to raw, explosiveness (younger guys off course). But MJ still had rare coordination, reflexes, agility and quickness. He just relied a ton more on his post game (more specifically fade away jumper). So MJ really changed his game to maximize his talents. He knew he wasn't as explosive so he adjusted.

By 1998, at the age of 35, he obviously slowed down even more athletically but he was still elite.

As a testament to his natural athleticism, even at the ages of 38-40, he still had enough athleticism to be an effective scorer in terms of initial quickness. That's saying A LOT.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    That is MJ from the ages of 30-35, so he was obviously past his physical peak.

MJ really had 2 body types. Pre-1990 and post-1990. Of course he decided to bulk up after the 1989 playoffs because of the Bad Boy Pistons and their level of physicality. Pre-1990 MJ was the best athlete I had ever seen on a bball court in terms of fluidity, agility, coordination, reflexes, no wasted motion and quickness (for his size). I mean there is a REASON why this guy has hundred of moves that no one has been able to duplicate. His ability to contort his body in so many different ways and get off numerous launch points is evidence of this. No one has really come close to his level of in the air agility.

Post-1990 MJ was when he started to bulk up his body. And when you add muscle and bulk up, you sacrifice some the of agility/fluidity/explosiveness, which was the case for MJ. But I would still say he was the best athlete in the game even up until 1993.

1996 is when you can argue there were other athletes as well rounded as him, especially when it comes to raw, explosiveness (younger guys off course). But MJ still had rare coordination, reflexes, agility and quickness. He just relied a ton more on his post game (more specifically fade away jumper). So MJ really changed his game to maximize his talents. He knew he wasn't as explosive so he adjusted.

By 1998, at the age of 35, he obviously slowed down even more athletically but he was still elite.

As a testament to his natural athleticism, even at the ages of 38-40, he still had enough athleticism to be an effective scorer in terms of initial quickness. That's saying A LOT.
    This is pretty much what I thought. And yeah, wizards MJ had a really quick first step and great aerial agility. That version of MJ prob. be the quickest SG in the league out of a triple threat.

still far more athletic than any defender facing him

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Jordan was still insanely athletic in '92. Dunks started to become less frequent. Played smarter. More and more using post up game. Less and less offense off the dribble drive.

He was still probably the best athlete in 93 as well, but he traded off muscle for reduced bounce. Top of the line in the league most likely, yet still.

'96 he had a noticeable decline, quickness as well. Added upper body mass for almost exclusively a post up game. But it took away his legs by the Finals. Dropped weight going into the 97 season, regained a small amount of hops but even more quickness.

By the '98 games in France before the season it was evident all his insane aerial athleticism was gone. Still panther like quickness.
    David Robinson was clearly the best athlete in the league by then.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Yeah, I would push Jordan's athletic peak right through the baseball break. Much of the reduction in the bigger plays were a result in a change in offensive scheme, which also happened to coincide with his winning.

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    This is pretty much what I thought. And yeah, wizards MJ had a really quick first step and great aerial agility. That version of MJ prob. be the quickest SG in the league out of a triple threat.
    Actually, Wizards MJ was probably pushing 230-235 lbs, which was about 30-35 lbs above his peak playing weight. So he didn't have much aerial agility left. He was like almost everyone else by then, pretty much a plant and explode type player going in one direction. But he did still possess rare quickness for his age.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Actually, Wizards MJ was probably pushing 230-235 lbs, which was about 30-35 lbs above his peak playing weight. So he didn't have much aerial agility left. He was like almost everyone else by then, pretty much a plant and explode type player going in one direction. But he did still possess rare quickness for his age.
    I remember when MJ blew by Garnett and put up 35 mainly with KG on him, who's considered one of the great defenders ever. And yet we have fools sayin 29 year old MJ wouldn't flat-out dominate today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    I remember when MJ blew by Garnett and put up 35 mainly with KG on him, who's considered one of the great defenders ever. And yet we have fools sayin 29 year old MJ wouldn't flat-out dominate today.
    Can't really blame the kids. Ignorance is bliss. Heck, if I was a kid today and only saw LeBron, I would be drinking the LeBron kool-aid too and be convinced that he might be the GOAT. But these youngsters just missed out on the true GOAT. The people who saw both know what's up.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Why don't we look at the stats

We have stats that are good gauges of athleticism

I'll post them shortly