Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 12-29-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
DirtBag
Hero's Herald

DirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Amar'e says his loyalty is with PHX

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...7spt-suns.html

The last time Amaré Stoudemire felt this kind of attention, he chose Memphis when he was being recruited by colleges.

This time, the Suns star is not even eligible for recruitment until at least July 2010, but
that's not stopping people- just fans, so far - from trying to pry him from Phoenix.

"Everywhere I go, from New York to LA, they're all saying, 'Come here,' 'Come to LA,' 'Come to New York,' 'We want you here,' 'We want you there,' " Stoudemire said before adding a qualifier to ease those who don't want him to leave Phoenix.

"But I like it here in Phoenix," he said. "Phoenix is a beautiful city. I've grown here, and my family has as well. Hopefully I can remain here, but only the future can tell.

"Right now I've got a Phoenix Suns jersey, and that's where my loyalty is."

Stoudemire will be eligible for a Suns contract extension this summer because he will have two contract years remaining, one of which he could opt out of to be part of the 2010 NBA free-agency bonanza. If he does, he would pass on a $17.7 million salary in 2010-11. It is a decision he might face, because it is not a given that Phoenix would extend his contract.

Stoudemire is giving the Suns reason to ponder a longer commitment. The best impression has come on the boards, where he is averaging 12.3 rebounds over the past eight games.

"I'm just attacking," he said. "I really want to eliminate any flaws in my game. Rebounding at the start of the season was one. Before the season, Shaq (O'Neal) and I talked about what the deal was. Shaq wanted to get all the rebounds. I want to get out and run. But it became an issue that I'm not rebounding. Scratch that. That's in the past."

Stoudemire, who is averaging 9.0 rebounds this season, always has been pegged as player who should be a double-digit rebounder. However, the only power forwards doing that are the Los Angeles Clippers' Zach Randolph and Marcus Camby, a former center, and San Antonio's Tim Duncan, who often plays center.

"I think he's gotten better," Suns coach Terry Porter said of Stoudemire. "Even if he didn't get it (a rebound in Thursday's game), he made the effort to go on the offensive boards and get hands on it. That's the type of activity we need from him. We're a different team when he attacks the offensive glass, gets three or four of them and gets us extra possessions. That's huge for us. Other guys feed off that."

Stoudemire's work and five extra minutes of floor time per game have translated to career bests in free-throw shooting (83 percent), assists (2.1 per game) and steals (1.2). His blocks-per-game average is down from 2.1 last season to 1.2 this season, but he fouls less (3.1, down from 3.7).

"My loyalty to the game of basketball is pretty serious, so I work hard every off-season," Stoudemire said. "I listen, and I'm very coachable. I try to improve. That's my motto: Never settle for less."

It could be a contract-negotiation motto, too, but Stoudemire said he is convinced that the club is making moves to meet his goal of winning a championship. An extension might keep him with the Suns for the rest of his career.

"That'd be beautiful to play with one team for my whole career," Stoudemire said. "That'd be ideal, but only the future can tell."
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
drummer44
Can barely lace up my sneakers

drummer44 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Amar'e says his loyalty is with PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...7spt-suns.html

The last time Amaré Stoudemire felt this kind of attention, he chose Memphis when he was being recruited by colleges.

This time, the Suns star is not even eligible for recruitment until at least July 2010, but
that's not stopping people- just fans, so far - from trying to pry him from Phoenix.

"Everywhere I go, from New York to LA, they're all saying, 'Come here,' 'Come to LA,' 'Come to New York,' 'We want you here,' 'We want you there,' " Stoudemire said before adding a qualifier to ease those who don't want him to leave Phoenix.

"But I like it here in Phoenix," he said. "Phoenix is a beautiful city. I've grown here, and my family has as well. Hopefully I can remain here, but only the future can tell.

"Right now I've got a Phoenix Suns jersey, and that's where my loyalty is."

Stoudemire will be eligible for a Suns contract extension this summer because he will have two contract years remaining, one of which he could opt out of to be part of the 2010 NBA free-agency bonanza. If he does, he would pass on a $17.7 million salary in 2010-11. It is a decision he might face, because it is not a given that Phoenix would extend his contract.

Stoudemire is giving the Suns reason to ponder a longer commitment. The best impression has come on the boards, where he is averaging 12.3 rebounds over the past eight games.

"I'm just attacking," he said. "I really want to eliminate any flaws in my game. Rebounding at the start of the season was one. Before the season, Shaq (O'Neal) and I talked about what the deal was. Shaq wanted to get all the rebounds. I want to get out and run. But it became an issue that I'm not rebounding. Scratch that. That's in the past."

Stoudemire, who is averaging 9.0 rebounds this season, always has been pegged as player who should be a double-digit rebounder. However, the only power forwards doing that are the Los Angeles Clippers' Zach Randolph and Marcus Camby, a former center, and San Antonio's Tim Duncan, who often plays center.

"I think he's gotten better," Suns coach Terry Porter said of Stoudemire. "Even if he didn't get it (a rebound in Thursday's game), he made the effort to go on the offensive boards and get hands on it. That's the type of activity we need from him. We're a different team when he attacks the offensive glass, gets three or four of them and gets us extra possessions. That's huge for us. Other guys feed off that."

Stoudemire's work and five extra minutes of floor time per game have translated to career bests in free-throw shooting (83 percent), assists (2.1 per game) and steals (1.2). His blocks-per-game average is down from 2.1 last season to 1.2 this season, but he fouls less (3.1, down from 3.7).

"My loyalty to the game of basketball is pretty serious, so I work hard every off-season," Stoudemire said. "I listen, and I'm very coachable. I try to improve. That's my motto: Never settle for less."

It could be a contract-negotiation motto, too, but Stoudemire said he is convinced that the club is making moves to meet his goal of winning a championship. An extension might keep him with the Suns for the rest of his career.

"That'd be beautiful to play with one team for my whole career," Stoudemire said. "That'd be ideal, but only the future can tell."

Last night I just wanted to smack him. I get so sick of players talking about the "respect" issue. Amare was quoted as saying the refs lack of respect for him reminds him of the lack of respect the cops had for tupac shakur. Yea, nice analogy there buddy! That was about the most ignorant comment I've ever heard.

Amare wants to be the man?? Then quit your damn whining, bragging and complaining. How many times do we see Amare get the ball smacked out of his hands when he gets double teamed? Then stands there and complains to the ref while the other team is headed back for a layup? Nash does the same damn thing. If you get the ball stolen from you, you better get on your horse and get back and defend. After the play you can bring it up to the ref if you want. Porter needs to get a handle on that. Both of his stars do the same damn thing. Quit turning the ball over and you can quit being disrespected!!!

Stat is a very good player. He has the tools to be a great one. He just needs to tone down the attitude a bit and focus when he's on the court. He loses focus a couple times every game and it hurts us sometimes. Keep a good attitude and earn the refs respect, don't demand it.
drummer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
3stat2
Local High School Star

3stat2 is considered somewhat cool3stat2 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Amar'e says his loyalty is with PHX

I think he was at least partly joking about the tupac thing. But you're right, he needs to keep his head straight at all times, because we're going to need him to if we want any playoff success.

I've been a bit disappointed by him this season, I thought he'd finally take that next step to clearly show he's at least on the way to that Duncan/KG level, but he's not there yet. His man to man D has improved compared to past seasons and he's actually putting in effort on the boards. He's passing the ball pretty well and he's far from a black hole. He's improved. But he still needs to smarten up and be more of a leader.

He's my favourite player but nonetheless, I get the feeling that he's playing a fair way below his potential, mostly due to fixable mental reasons. I suppose it's easy for us, as spectators, to point all this stuff out; it might not be so clear from his shoes. But that makes it frustrating to watch at times. Seriously, the sky is the limit, he just needs to smarten up.

Hopefully he'll learn these lessons with experience. Actually, not hopefully. It's not really an option. For the Suns to do well in the playoffs, he has to.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: