Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Nuggets trade Carmelo Anthony to Knicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    The problem is that you get players stuck in situations like LeBron was in Cleveland. Where teams that make the right moves can bundle up talent (LA, San Antonio, Boston) and then other teams that have made some mistakes obviously can't match that. The teams have to suffer for that, but why should a player have the shackle himself to a badly run team?
    A player doesn't have to 'shackle' himself to a lowly franchise that only wins 60+ games annually and annual deep runs in the playoffs. He would still have options in a FA market. He just wouldn't be able to join a team with several franchise players already in place... Then again, that isn't true... he could join a team like that, but he would have to sign for $3 million instead of $17 million.

Options would still be there for guys... Just not as many and not as lucrative.

The NFL model works.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

TJ Ford + Solo Jones for...anything, 10 million of salary. Buike's what like $4mm? Fill in the rest. A Statue of Liberty mini-statue.

Sorry to take over your thread, Knicks fans. Tonight is your night and I will be rooting for you this season. But, this conversation is absolutely related to what is transpiring. Maybe we should take this to our own thread?

azuibuke will be playing for the knicks...and expect him to be putting up 12ppg off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    azuibuke will be playing for the knicks...and expect him to be putting up 12ppg off the bench
    Didn't his foot fall off or something?

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    So what does the Knicks roster look like now? Something like this?

PG: Billups/Carter
    SG: Fields/Mason Jr
    SF: Melo/Azubuike
    PF: Amare/Balkman
    C: Turiaf/Williams

Pretty thin up front and weak bench. Would've been nice if they could've kept Mozgov.
    You left off Bill Walker, Tony Douglas, Andy Rautins, and Corey Brewer who the Knicks will get from the T'Wolves.

actually the knicks should package expiring contracts for long term contracts to bulk up their cap for trading possibliites next year.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I'm not going to debate what Cleveland did or didn't do while James was a member because it has been covered ad naseum time and again and this really isn't the place for it.

I'm not taking this position strictly to benefit my own team... I'm taking it in an effort to prevent the NBA turning into an MLB with shorts. I stopped watching baseball 15 years ago because things were getting so out-of-control at the top (and, apparently, a lot of other people stopped watching, too).

If this trend continues in basketball, I will be forced to follow suit. Having 4 major league teams and 26 minor league teams is no way to run a league.
    Well, forget LeBron in Cleveland. Take Melo in Denver. They had a good team, but he wasn't going to beating the Lakers any time soon. So, he went and found a team that offered him where he wanted to play & a superstar to join up with.

The thing about this is that it's actually about competition, especially in Miami's case. That has to do with the fact that the Lakers and Boston have made very good moves and were clearly heads and shoulders above the other contenders. To compete with that you'll have to put together lots of talent on one team.

Maybe the only reason we might not see these two teams in the Finals again this year is because teams have been able to be add talent through free agency. Whether it be Miami, Chicago or New York.

Your basically asking players to accept losing and I can't agree with that.

knicks get a first rounder also

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    knicks get a first rounder also
    No, they don't according to Ken Berger. ESPN also rescinded that from their original article.

It will be mighty interesting to see as early as tomorrow what the aftermath of this trade is in terms of more deals.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    A player doesn't have to 'shackle' himself to a lowly franchise that only wins 60+ games annually and annual deep runs in the playoffs. He would still have options in a FA market. He just wouldn't be able to join a team with several franchise players already in place... Then again, that isn't true... he could join a team like that, but he would have to sign for $3 million instead of $17 million.

Options would still be there for guys... Just not as many and not as lucrative.

The NFL model works.

That's incredibly unfair though. Why should someone who has superstar talent have to give up millions upon millions?

You get into a territory where you start treating players like property with that reasoning. They should be able to make decisions about their future like any adult and not have to be completely screwed financially.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface
    You left off Bill Walker, Tony Douglas, Andy Rautins, and Corey Brewer who the Knicks will get from the T'Wolves.
    Corey Brewer is going to the Nuggets isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    Well, forget LeBron in Cleveland. Take Melo in Denver. They had a good team, but he wasn't going to beating the Lakers any time soon. So, he went and found a team that offered him where he wanted to play & a superstar to join up with.

The thing about this is that it's actually about competition, especially in Miami's case. That has to do with the fact that the Lakers and Boston have made very good moves and were clearly heads and shoulders above the other contenders. To compete with that you'll have to put together lots of talent on one team.

Maybe the only reason we might not see these two teams in the Finals again this year is because teams have been able to be add talent through free agency. Whether it be Miami, Chicago or New York.

Your basically asking players to accept losing and I can't agree with that.
    I'm not asking players to accept losing. I'm asking players to not start chasing rings at 25 and to not form quasi-all-star teams. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Not every good player that enters the league is entitled to compete for a championship. There always have been superstars playing on teams that didn't compete for titles year-in and year-out (the Nuggets have been in the hunt during Melo's tenure, for the record).

Since when are conference finals appearances not good enough for guys that are 22-25 years old?

Corey Brewer doesn't even know. Melo's a Knick, we know that much.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

No Knicks. Check espn, yahoo, si, nba.com they are all reporting brewer to knicks.