Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-19-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Start Bynum?

What do you guys think? I hear all this talk about Stuckey not being a true pg, should be playing sg/on the bench etc. Stuckey was a beast when hamilton was out but from february on he sucked. Bynum is a pg and played really well when he actually started playing regulary in March. Of course it will not happen but what do you all think?
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
dealer77
I open layup bricks

dealer77 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Start Bynum?

Definitely. I think he's a better passer than Stuckey and is more naturally suited to be the "distrubitor" that Stuckey still has to work to be. Stuckey is better suited for coming off the bench as most combo guards are because they provide more when they can utilize their "shoot first" mentality. As it is right now, I think too many of our early game possessions are not set up well and would be run better through a true PG.
dealer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation

I actually thought about that during the season, plus with all the rumors that the Pistons could be doing a slight re-build, I would actually like a backcourt of Bynum and Stuckey. I've actually had a chat with some other guys on the forum about Stuckey being the SG and the Pistons drafting a PG. I was looking at mock drafts and some have had the Pistons looking taking BJ Mullen, Wayne Ellington and Eric Maynor. BJ Mullen could help out the frontline, Wayne Ellington could be Rip's successor if they choose to leave Stuckey at the PG or Eric Maynor could play the point and move Rodney Stuckey to the SG. I know that Stuckey is a combo guard but he kind of reminds me of Wade when he was a rookie when he played the PG and then moved over to the SG spot. But the thought of Stuckey and Bynum in the backcourt does seem explosive.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
I actually thought about that during the season, plus with all the rumors that the Pistons could be doing a slight re-build, I would actually like a backcourt of Bynum and Stuckey. I've actually had a chat with some other guys on the forum about Stuckey being the SG and the Pistons drafting a PG. I was looking at mock drafts and some have had the Pistons looking taking BJ Mullen, Wayne Ellington and Eric Maynor. BJ Mullen could help out the frontline, Wayne Ellington could be Rip's successor if they choose to leave Stuckey at the PG or Eric Maynor could play the point and move Rodney Stuckey to the SG. I know that Stuckey is a combo guard but he kind of reminds me of Wade when he was a rookie when he played the PG and then moved over to the SG spot. But the thought of Stuckey and Bynum in the backcourt does seem explosive.

Maybe in a couple years but Rip(/Gordon?) and Bynum is a much more explosive backcourt than with stuckey. And I think they are both similar types of players, so that would be a problem. Yeah the fact that I started this thread is because of the rumors of the pistons drafting lawson to start at pg so we have a true pg, and that got me thinking couldn't we just start bynum?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
dealer77
I open layup bricks

quite an about face from earlier conversations on the draft thread about not needing a PG....

I still think if mills is available in with our first second rounder, we should snatch him up. he played extremely well for australia against USA and other proven competition during beijing, and that is some experience that lawson, maynor, or any other PG have on their resumes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
dealer77
I open layup bricks

something else interesting about dwyane wade, reminding me a lot of stuckey:

http://college.dwyane-wade-flash.com...College-2.html

Dwyane Wade's Weakness:
He is dangerously close to being a combo guard. He is too small to be a shooting guard and does not possess enough point guard skills to run a team offensively.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:05 AM   #7
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I can't believe all this negativity I see about Stuckey now. Everybody loved him in the begining of the season and now everybody is ready to write him off already. The guy was practically a rookie last season. Remember how much of his rookie season he missed??? He put up 13 pts and 5 assists per game. That's not a bad season for his experience. Do you guys realize that Billups put up 18 pts and 6 assists per game last year. Don't get me wrong, Billups is definitely the better of the two but for a 2nd year guy without much rookie experience you can see Stuckey is well on track. What is with everybody not giving a person any sort of chance? What will you do if Matthew Stafford gets thrown in too early for the Lions? You know he can't succeed if that happens. It's the same situation here, since Joe D set up that entire Iverson trade. If Stuckey would have had another year behind Billups to get better he would probably have been fine. Things didn't work out that way. Stuckey/Rip > Bynum/Rip. It's not even a debate. Luckily the Detroit Pistons see it the same way. If Bynum was that much better Curry would play him. He would because winning games is how coaches keep their jobs. Do you think if Phil Jackson was the coach of the Pistons he would start Bynum? How about Larry Brown or Pat Riley? It's an absolute no they would not. I like Bynum but he isn't a starter in this league. Can't we be happy with being solid at the PG position? It's our front line we need to worry about. We have a good back court. Our back court is as good as anybodys.

Last edited by dd24 : 06-20-2009 at 05:09 AM.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I can't believe all this negativity I see about Stuckey now. Everybody loved him in the begining of the season and now everybody is ready to write him off already. The guy was practically a rookie last season. Remember how much of his rookie season he missed??? He put up 13 pts and 5 assists per game. That's not a bad season for his experience. Do you guys realize that Billups put up 18 pts and 6 assists per game last year. Don't get me wrong, Billups is definitely the better of the two but for a 2nd year guy without much rookie experience you can see Stuckey is well on track. What is with everybody not giving a person any sort of chance? What will you do if Matthew Stafford gets thrown in too early for the Lions? You know he can't succeed if that happens. It's the same situation here, since Joe D set up that entire Iverson trade. If Stuckey would have had another year behind Billups to get better he would probably have been fine. Things didn't work out that way. Stuckey/Rip > Bynum/Rip. It's not even a debate. Luckily the Detroit Pistons see it the same way. If Bynum was that much better Curry would play him. He would because winning games is how coaches keep their jobs. Do you think if Phil Jackson was the coach of the Pistons he would start Bynum? How about Larry Brown or Pat Riley? It's an absolute no they would not. I like Bynum but he isn't a starter in this league. Can't we be happy with being solid at the PG position? It's our front line we need to worry about. We have a good back court. Our back court is as good as anybodys.

I'm not writing off Stuckey, I just think he be playing the SG. I also agree that the Pistons should should focus on the frontline. I think the Pistons should try to get BJ Mullen.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
dealer77
I open layup bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
I'm not writing off Stuckey, I just think he be playing the SG. I also agree that the Pistons should should focus on the frontline.

This is kinda along the lines of what I was saying. I also agree that stuck/rip>bynum/rip. The real question is where does bynum/stuck fit in there? better, worse or somewhere in between the two?

And at the risk of looking too much into this comparison, I like starting stuckey at the SG because he is so similar to dwyane wade, who started playing somewhat of a starter combo guard when he came into the league. people have been complaining that a bynum/stuck backcourt would be too small, but put anybody next to dwyane wade (WHO IS ALSO 6'4") and suddenly, everybody forgets about the so called "small backcourt"
Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't forget the Heat have a small backcourt. It's one of the reasons they did so bad the past few years. They have a hard time matching up. I still don't think Stuckey is even close to what Wade brings to a game so it's way more of a liability for the Pistons. When was the last time a team won it all playing small ball?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:

I don't want to be a jerk, but WHAT?! He played 57 of 82 games his rookie season, of course he missed a lot of games be he played a very good portion of them. People started to jump on the stuckey bandwagon when he was putting up those 30, 40 point games, and I think that was when rip was injured, which might help the whole don't play rip and stuckey together thing. Yes he had a good rookie season... off the bench. "What is with everybody not giving a person any sort of chance?" Exactly! Now give Bynum a chance. And Curry is a crap coach and I think everyone knows it. Would other coaches start Bynum, I'm not sure, I think he would have a fairer shot in a different organization to start, I think Joe D has this love thing going on for stuckey and feels the need to start him. Our backcourt is as good as anybodys? Definitely not. Maybe if you're talking about a teams entire backcourt then our stuckey, rip, bynum, afflalo backcourt is probably top 5 offensively, but factor in defense and there are a lot of better backcourts. Remember how PGs would how career nights against us all the time last year? Yes our front court needs help but you can't just say focus on the main factor and forget about the other ones. Drafting/signing/trading will fix our frontcourt problems, while mixing around the rotation can maybe improve our backcourt.

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 06-20-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

When I say backcourt I do mean as a whole. That's how you have to look at it. Of course we got lit up when AI was in there. He can't defend anyone. Which is why I like Rip so much more. He's bigger and longer. It's harder to shoot over him. Same goes for Stuckey. Bynum is a backup PG in this league. It's crazy for us to even discuss it because we all know who is going to start next year at PG. If we wanted to look at just numbers it's not like Billups are all that spectacular either but we know what he brings to a team. Numbers aren't everything which is what I was trying to point out before. Bynum is a great backup to come in and give a spark. Stuckey is going to be a solid PG. Rip is an all-star and Afflalo did a good job playing as a backup. What back court would you rather have???? Maybe LA because they have Kobe. I take our back court over Boston, definitely Orlando, Cleveland, and Philly. Chicago might be able to make a case since they have Rose. Possibly Miami because of Wade but I still like us better than Chalmers/Wade. The point is the good teams in the East don't really have better back courts than us and yet here we are splitting hairs about ours. We have money. We don't need to blow our team up. Let's work on the front line. That has been our down fall. There has been nobody next to Sheed since Ben left. That's what allows other teams gaurds to make shots in the lane. There's nobody there to clog it up.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Quote:
When I say backcourt I do mean as a whole. That's how you have to look at it. Of course we got lit up when AI was in there. He can't defend anyone. Which is why I like Rip so much more. He's bigger and longer. It's harder to shoot over him. Same goes for Stuckey. Bynum is a backup PG in this league. It's crazy for us to even discuss it because we all know who is going to start next year at PG. If we wanted to look at just numbers it's not like Billups are all that spectacular either but we know what he brings to a team. Numbers aren't everything which is what I was trying to point out before. Bynum is a great backup to come in and give a spark. Stuckey is going to be a solid PG. Rip is an all-star and Afflalo did a good job playing as a backup. What back court would you rather have???? Maybe LA because they have Kobe. I take our back court over Boston, definitely Orlando, Cleveland, and Philly. Chicago might be able to make a case since they have Rose. Possibly Miami because of Wade but I still like us better than Chalmers/Wade. The point is the good teams in the East don't really have better back courts than us and yet here we are splitting hairs about ours. We have money. We don't need to blow our team up. Let's work on the front line. That has been our down fall. There has been nobody next to Sheed since Ben left. That's what allows other teams gaurds to make shots in the lane. There's nobody there to clog it up.

I really don't want to think of others backcourts but I'll probably edit this and posts some backcourts I would rather have later. Agreed that stuckey will start but I don't think he should. I just don't think Stuckey is better at PG. Don't give me its not debatable that Stuckey>Bynum, I think 99% of people would take Stuckeys side, but I think that is just on bias because of all the detroit fans raving about stuckey and bynum coming from virtually nowhere. Also this is not a debate of who is better is it who is better at PG and I guess the difference of production off the bench. I hear you saying Bynum is just a spark off the bench, career backup, etc. what is your proof? He doesn't shoot well enough, is too slow, etc.? What reason do you have? What I don't like about stuckey is he is too big for PG, he takes crazy shots too much, can't defend for crap, and makes stupid decisions (That one game where we blew like a 15 pt. 4th quarter lead sticks out in my head and stuckey comits a stupid foul with seconds left for a 4 point play.) Stuckey as SG in the future would be beast. He is a shot taker, and I don't think is the kind of guy to run the offense or take the ball to the lane all the time. I think Bynum is that kind of guy. I like Stuck and hope he can start for us in the future and maybe become an all star.... I just don't like him playing pg. I hope bynum gets a shot, thats all I'm saying, I think he deserves one. I can think of a couple big name players in multiple sports that got their big shots because of injury (Not that I'm hoping for an injury to anyone, just saying I'll be happy for Bynum to get his chance starting if one occurs) Keep in mind Curry is the coach who started Kwame Brown, benched Allen Iverson, and benched Rip. Anything can happen with this guy.

Here is some backcourt stats thing for last year:
http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball...s/09/2/diffeff

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 06-20-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

I already looked at those stats. Like I said before those aren't everything. Also those include AI who I still say is a cancer to any team. I like the guy but not on my team.

Think about how much easier it is for all gaurds to make outside shots when they have a legit inside presence. Why do you think so many shooters will want to play in Orlando? Things open up when you have a solid big man. Stuckey is not too big to be a PG. He is the perfect size. He can wreak havoc on smaller gaurds. He's got the speed to keep up with them. His game actually has been more of a drive to the hole to score kind of person. I think he can control a game better than Bynum. I'm not trying to rip on Bynum. I want him on the team. I think he gives us great depth as a backup PG. Stuckey is the more talented of the two at that position. I think once we have a legitimate post presence we will see how many lanes and open shots we will have and how much easier the game will be. Especially if we can get someone who will command a double team down there. Then the defense can't focus as much on guys like Rip and Stuckey.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

I agree stats aren't everything, but I think that mostly works for individuals (as we learned from the AI trade) but this is an entire teams backcourt and I think it is hard to argue that the backckourt that isn't top 5 in any of the major categories and in the bottom 5 in free throw % and TOs is one of the best backcourts in the league. I'm sure AI affected it but to say you get rid of an all star and future HOF and your backcourt goes from maybe 15th to 3rd in the league is a joke. The stats also show that our frontcourt does suck more than our backcourt though (Dang, also bottom 5 free throw %?) Thanks for putting out your reason thats all I wanted, but I'm still sticking with my opinions and I know you'll stick with yours. I like people who posts their opinions and don't care what others think, I'd rather see some arguing than people just sitting in the shadows hoping others say what they are thinking.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: