Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How good is the summer league?

Competition wise. Better then the D league? Euro league? WNBA? Last years 76ers?

Default Re: How good is the summer league?

As good as your mom

Nah, but I'd say a notch over the Dleague

NBA Superstar

Summer league is to Division 1 what Top flight AAU is to High School basketball.

A collection of the best and most talented.

Better than D-league and a semi-big step below NBA.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Summer league is far far below the NBA. It's similar to the D League in that a vast majority of the player will never play in the NBA. You normally have about 5 or 6 guys on the roster who are on an NBA roster and then the rest are just bums. The D League is even worse. The D League you probably have only 20% of the players have the possibility of ever playing in the NBA And the rest are just scrubs. Both are several tiers below the NBA and also below any A league in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Summer league is far far below the NBA. It's similar to the D League in that a vast majority of the player will never play in the NBA. You normally have about 5 or 6 guys on the roster who are on an NBA roster and then the rest are just bums. The D League is even worse. The D League you probably have only 20% of the players have the possibility of ever playing in the NBA And the rest are just scrubs. Both are several tiers below the NBA and also below any A league in Europe.
    It's also similar to the D League in that there isn't much defense or semblance of any offensive system. A lot of fringy NBA guys are trying really hard to try and make a roster, but then other guys clearly don't take it seriously. A good player who actually wants to prove something, (like KCP this year) can absolutely tear it up against the lesser competition.

The players in the games are better than what you'd see in most college games, but the quality of the games themselves are much worse.

Good college starter

Definitely better than DLeague and more competitive than any league in Europe. A lot of Summer league casualties goes to Europe and shine. The thing is Summer League separates fringe NBA player from hopeless ones. Sometimes you can find gems from the undrafted ones and 2nd round picks with no guaranteed spot in NBA roster.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

worse than d-league

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Definitely better than DLeague and more competitive than any league in Europe. A lot of Summer league casualties goes to Europe and shine. The thing is Summer League separates fringe NBA player from hopeless ones. Sometimes you can find gems from the undrafted ones and 2nd round picks with no guaranteed spot in NBA roster.
    I'm not sure if you've ever watched European basketball. I know people who are playing in summer league now and I know people who have played in almost every league in Europe. From C leagues in Germany to A league in Spain, Israel, Greece, France and Italy. I assure you that the best leagues in Europe are better than NBA summer league. This is their opinion and it's mine as well.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I'm not sure if you've ever watched European basketball. I know people who are playing in summer league now and I know people who have played in almost every league in Europe. From C leagues in Germany to A league in Spain, Israel, Greece, France and Italy. I assure you that the best leagues in Europe are better than NBA summer league. This is their opinion and it's mine as well.

this is partly true however with the talent this year i doubt it ... but its like comparing veterans to 2-3 years after college of basketball ... so you are talking about 20-25 year old vs 25 up players... so its kinda not right to compare it .. but some "superstars" in euro league cant even be a consistent role player in the nba sample spanoulis ...

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    this is partly true however with the talent this year i doubt it ... but its like comparing veterans to 2-3 years after college of basketball ... so you are talking about 20-25 year old vs 25 up players... so its kinda not right to compare it .. but some "superstars" in euro league cant even be a consistent role player in the nba sample spanoulis ...
    There are about 4-6 guys on each roster who are NBA talent on summer leagu teams in any year. In the D league there are less. Have you been watching these games?

National High School Star

Put it this way...There have been plenty of summer league MVP's who couldn't even make it in the NBA as a 10th man. There are guys on the court who work at Home Depot.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    Spanoulis haunts this forum and the head of every ignorant nba fan.

Bravo, Vassilis!

It's pretty garbage. I went to one live game once (Lakers vs Grizz) and watched rookie Bynum dunking all over Hakim Warrick over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    It's also similar to the D League in that there isn't much defense or semblance of any offensive system. A lot of fringy NBA guys are trying really hard to try and make a roster, but then other guys clearly don't take it seriously. A good player who actually wants to prove something, (like KCP this year) can absolutely tear it up against the lesser competition.

The players in the games are better than what you'd see in most college games, but the quality of the games themselves are much worse.
    Thanks so just like the 76ers then. I remember last year when at one stage they had mcw and 3 dleague call ups in that team

Worse than Europe or D league. Teams aren't used to playing together yet and all the guys are young. They try way harder though because lots of those guys are essentially trying to earn contracts