Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
GreatGreg
College star

GreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGreatGreg is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Ben Gordon?

How would you like to sign Ben Gordon?

http://blogs.bulls.com/chicago_bulls...ir-future.html

What do you think of him joining your team?
GreatGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Ben Gordon?

Personally, I think its a bad move. A undersize SG who has suspect handles and doesn't play D. He can shoot the lights out but I don't think the Pistons will sign him. I also think that the Pistons should put Rodney Stuckey at the SG spot.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't like signing Gordon especially for the money that is rumored. Hopefully they are just trying to make Chicago pay more for him. He's much like AI who already didn't fit in well there. Also, what's the point of having Gordon and Rip on the same team??? Gordon is a very good player to have come in off the bench and give a team a spark. He can score in bunches. I don't think he's worth the type of contract he is trying to get though.

As for Stuckey, in order for the Pistons to be successful they really need him to thrive at PG. We have a SG who is an all-star. Having a big fast PG is a huge advantage in this league. Having an undersized SG is not. Let's not rush the kid too much. I think there are some unfair expectations being placed on him. He'll be just fine.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputationidizzle has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I don't like signing Gordon especially for the money that is rumored. Hopefully they are just trying to make Chicago pay more for him. He's much like AI who already didn't fit in well there. Also, what's the point of having Gordon and Rip on the same team??? Gordon is a very good player to have come in off the bench and give a team a spark. He can score in bunches. I don't think he's worth the type of contract he is trying to get though.

As for Stuckey, in order for the Pistons to be successful they really need him to thrive at PG. We have a SG who is an all-star. Having a big fast PG is a huge advantage in this league. Having an undersized SG is not. Let's not rush the kid too much. I think there are some unfair expectations being placed on him. He'll be just fine.

I totally agree with your saying but the way I see it I think the Pistons should draft a PG for the future and make Stuckey the SG. He kind of reminds me of D-Wade he he started and plus their have been the rumors that the Pistons might do a lil rebuilding and might ship Rip off.

But then again I been looking at some mock drafts and it has the Pistons getting Wayne Ellington and that he will be Rip's successor.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is the way I see it. Stuckey at PG has the potential to be a perennial all-star. Stuckey at SG is a starter but will probably never be an all-star. I don't think he can reach the caliber of Rip and definitely not Wade. He mainly started at PG in college. Even though he's considered a combo type guard he is more of a PG. In order for us to win championships we really need to let him mold into that spot.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
idizzle
Good college starter

Quote:
This is the way I see it. Stuckey at PG has the potential to be a perennial all-star. Stuckey at SG is a starter but will probably never be an all-star. I don't think he can reach the caliber of Rip and definitely not Wade. He mainly started at PG in college. Even though he's considered a combo type guard he is more of a PG. In order for us to win championships we really need to let him mold into that spot.

I feel y'all on that. I actually think the Pistons should get Wayne Ellington. He actually can be Rip's successor. We all can agree that Ben Gordon shouldn't come to the Pistons unless its for the mid-level and he come offs the bench like Vinnie ( The Microwave) Johnson.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Exactly. The problem is he wants about 10 million per season and bench players shouldn't be getting that type of cash. Maybe if enough of us email the Pistons and tell them we won't watch any Pistons games if they replace AI with Gordon we can get our point across :).

I like Ellington but we already have Afflalo who was a solid backup to Rip. I don't think he'll be an all-star caliber guy but he filled in nice last year. Rip is young enough that he doesn't really need a successor yet. My fear would be we would sign a guy like Ellington and when his rookie contract was up he would go elsewhere to get more PT. There's no guarantee that Ellington will be an all-star. We already know what we have with Rip and we will have that for potentially quite some time. If they draft a SG I would take that as a sign that Joe D is really going to blow things up and trade Rip. In which case we could plan on not being contenders for a while. I really think if Hansborough is still available he would be the best available. Other than that Mullens would be a nice project. We can always hope a potential lottery talent guy somehow falls down to us too.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far

I don't really want to sign him, but what I do care about is why everyone is freaking out about 11m a year being too much for a 26 year old who can put up 20+ a game and one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. 10-11m is probably the average for a good starting players (Rip, Tay, Chauncey, etc.) Of course I'm sure Chauncey and rip's contracts would be worth much more had they been 26. If we didn't have rip, we trade him for some stupid reason, I would be perfectly happy to pay 11m a year. But right now we need a starting big man so I don't even know why we would even consider Gordon over Boozer.

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 06-18-2009 at 01:06 PM.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

11 million should be for an all-star level player. Not a regular starter/potential 6th man. There's a lot of people in the league who can put up 20ppg and not play D.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
11 million should be for an all-star level player. Not a regular starter/potential 6th man. There's a lot of people in the league who can put up 20ppg and not play D.

AI puts up 20 and doesn't play d and gets paid 20m Ben Gordon isn't a 6th man. How many all stars make more than 11m on new contracts? 11m for an all star? Hmm, I don't think so. I'd say more around 13-16 (Elton Brand/Baron Davis last year) Gordon finished 17th in the league in ppg, of the top 19 leaders in ppg only Harris, Gordon, and West made less than 11m, and of course Harris is getting a huge raise on his next contract.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: