Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Default Question to people with knowledge of the Israel/Palestine thing.

Has there ever been an autonomous Palestinian state? I don't exactly know the complete history of the region. I know the area was called Palestine but is that more of a situation like "Silicone Valley" where even though its the name of the region it's not representative of the population or government?

Default Re: Question to people with knowledge of the Israel/Palestine thing.

I'm pretty sure the PLO declared their independence in the late 80s and they're recognized as a state today by the U.N. But not by Israel, I believe.

I still don't know who owns Jerusalem though.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    Has there ever been an autonomous Palestinian state? I don't exactly know the complete history of the region. I know the area was called Palestine but is that more of a situation like "Silicone Valley" where even though its the name of the region it's not representative of the population or government?
    Look up the Ottoman Empire. The Turks ruled throughout the Middle East until WWI. Palestine was a colony of the Ottoman Empire.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Look up the Ottoman Empire. The Turks ruled throughout the Middle East until WWI. Palestine was a colony of the Ottoman Empire.

Speaking of Ottomans, it would be a good thing if they came back to prominence. Wipe all these radical bastards out.

Quote Originally Posted by shaq2000
    I'm pretty sure the PLO declared their independence in the late 80s and they're recognized as a state today by the U.N. But not by Israel, I believe.

I still don't know who owns Jerusalem though.
    It's split. West Jerusalem is part of Israel and East Jerusalem is part of Palestine.

If you're talking specifically about the walled off "old city", that part is in East Jerusalem.

Banned

Never in any point in history was there a state called Palestine or a group of people who self identified as Palestinian.

It was only after losing the 1967 war that Yasser Arafat urged the arab settlers, who for the most part moved to the region AFTER the founding of modern Israel, to begin calling themselves Palestinians as a sympathy gaining tactic.

“There is no such thing as ‘Palestine’ in history, absolutely not.” In fact, Palestine is never explicitly mentioned in the Koran, rather it is called “the holy land” (al-Arad al-Muqaddash).
    -distinguished Arab-American historian and Princeton University Prof. Philip Hitti,

"There has never been a land known as Palestine governed by Palestinians. Palestinians are Arabs, indistinguishable from Jordanians (another recent invention), Syrians, Iraqis, etc. Keep in mind that the Arabs control 99.9 percent of the Middle East lands. Israel represents one-tenth of one percent of the landmass. But that's too much for the Arabs. They want it all. And that is ultimately what the fighting in Israel is about today... No matter how many land concessions the Israelis make, it will never be enough."
    -Joseph Farah, author of Myths of the Middle East

"There are no differences between Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese. We are all part of one nation. It is only for political reasons that we carefully underline our Palestinian identity... yes, the existence of a separate Palestinian identity serves only tactical purposes. The founding of a Palestinian state is a new tool in the continuing battle against Israel". - Zuhair Muhsin, former military commander of the Palestinian Liberation Organization and member of its Executive Council

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Never in any point in history was there a state called Palestine or a group of people who self identified as Palestinian.
    Even if that was true........

At no point in history was there ever a state called Israel or a group of people called israelis until 1948. What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Speaking of Ottomans, it would be a good thing if they came back to prominence. Wipe all these radical bastards out.
    Ottomans forced christians to convert to islam here in the Balkans, Ottoman empire fall behind technologically from the renaissance in Europe because they were reluctant to adopt new technology, because their empire was perfect the way Allah created it and so on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Even if that was true........

At no point in history was there ever a state called Israel
    or a group of people called israelis until 1948. What's the difference?
    bro, you for serious bro?

bro, you for serious bro?
    Yes.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

how you gonna brainwash a little kid like that?
    no wonder there won't be peace there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ORAM-usqhQ

sorry, dont know the history. but we are all gods children and should make peace.

"Silicon Valley" is like "The Big Apple" or "Sin City". It's not the name of the region it's a nickname.

It was only after losing the 1967 war that Yasser Arafat urged the arab settlers, who for the most part moved to the region AFTER the founding of modern Israel, to begin calling themselves Palestinians as a sympathy gaining tactic.