Default What to do (on defense) when you're guarding a guy much taller

I'm not very tall so most of the time the dude is a few inches taller than me. Whatever, I can deal. But when the guy is 5-6" or more taller, WTF do you do? I can't block the shot, even if I contest it, they can just shoot over me.

Default Re: What to do (on defense) when you're guarding a guy much taller

Don't let him get the ball. When he does, force him to beat you off the dribble. If he's posting you, try to front the post. Learn what spots he likes on the court, and try not to let him get there.

Banned

Get in front of him, try to stay between the ball and the player, not many people can throw a good lob pass and these types of passes are usually slow so more often that not somebody will be there to cover it.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    I'm not very tall so most of the time the dude is a few inches taller than me. Whatever, I can deal. But when the guy is 5-6" or more taller, WTF do you do? I can't block the shot, even if I contest it, they can just shoot over me.
    When they go for a shot, try to strip them or get them to change their shot line before the ball goes above their waist. Because once it gets above their waist the only thing you can do is get your hand in their face (literally)

Also, when guarding them on the dribble, use your legs and leverage to push them around. If they're a lot stronger/bigger then...may your god help you lol.

-Deny him the ball in the post and try to have teammates come over to help if they lob it over top to him.

-Communication is key. Talk to your teammates on the defensive end so they know what's up. Listen to them, too.

-Constantly poke and prod at the ball, especially if he brings it below his waistline...even for a split second.

-Learn his sweet spots and try your best to deny him that position.

-If you've got a good offensive team around you, try and lay back on offense a bit so you can put as much of your effort into the defensive end as possible to stop him.

-Get up in his grill...crowd him if he catches the ball in one of his spots. (hands constantly straight up while doing this)

-Be a pest not only physically, but verbally and mentally. Be annoying. Talk all the time. Try to get in his head a bit and distract him. say something funny, spit out random mixmash or even trash talk if that's your thing.

-Generally, guys that big aren't the best at handling the rock...so try to force him into taking you off the dribble or passing it off. You're smaller so you probably have the superior quickness and reflexes.

-Overall, just constantly harass him, the ball, and his team. Get in his face defensively. If you're that overly mismatched people generally won't call your fouls as much.

Hope it helps.

There's this guy at my local gym who is like 5 inches shorter than me but he does a pretty good job of playing D because he sticks to you like glue and is always underneath you... anytime I bring the ball down he's there to get it. I have to play like a big man at 5'10 lmao keeping the ball high and just shooting over him. but yea you have to be an absolute bull dog to guard someone who is 4" plus taller than you because they have such an advantage... if they are an equivalent player mind you.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 12-19-2014 at 04:36 AM.

Most of the time, these taller guys don't know how to use their height. You have to gameplan when you are outmatched physically. We need more input, is this full court where he is bringing the ball up on you or half court where he is posting up on you? Give more info.

I'm 5'9 so I am usually the shortest guy on the court myself. I have guys figured out though at my park as to how to guard everyone but I have trouble with guys 80 lbs and 6 inches taller than me

Front him if he is posting on you and tell someone to help if they throw it over you.

Local High School Star

Look at how muggsy bogues defense.

You have to play closer go down low, react much faster, have active hands and try to get in your opponent's head. Normally, a taller guy would have poorer handles, try to get him to turnover. If he shoots, and you cannot reach, then face guard him, put a hand to his face make him feel uncomfortable. If he's in the post, normally I try to swipe the ball from the side it works alot of the time. or better yet deny him the ball in the post (if you can).