Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Pretty sure I can never watch Breaking Bad now because of the way some ISHers seem to overrate it. I'll prob end up sitting there picking out flaws instead of being able to enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Coming from a guy that's a huge fan of the overrated shit band Radiohead.
    Yo I remember when my friend first played me radiohead, lmao....I really wasnt feeling it and I said it was like sleepy time music....no instrumentation.....kinda boring....he practically ended our friendship on the spot lmao

The Wire is one of the best shows I've ever seen

The only thing I hate about the show is the name. "The Wire" is a terrible name. Should have been called "Baltimore". Simple. Relatable. The Wire? C'mon....just a bad name.

Other than that, excellent show on every level.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Interesting point-of-view, OP. Completely wrong, but interesting.

Just kidding... Like music, television can be as much personal preference as anything. I think The Wire should be mandatory viewing for anyone who feels they don't know what's going on or can't relate to street culture or violence perpetrated by the War on Drugs.

I felt The Wire was so much more than a television show. It exposed a lot of flaws in how, what and who is prosecuted in the United States.

I don't like The Wire either. Tried watching a few episodes, never got hooked.

Very good NBA starter

you watch one season and proclaim the series to be overrated?

Having said that, season 2 is the weakest.. Season 3, 4, and 5 are the best.

The Wire, The Sopranos, Seinfeld, and Arrested Development are probably my favorite shows of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    you watch one season and proclaim the series to be overrated?

Having said that, season 2 is the weakest.. Season 3, 4, and 5 are the best.

The Wire, The Sopranos, Seinfeld, and Arrested Development are probably my favorite shows of all time.
    season 5 is the weakest, season 2 is underrated, I hated it at first but it's deep breh

You guys need to understand that the Wire isnt for everybody. Its GOAT show in my opinion but i can understand why people who like FRIENDS or Star Trek might not enjoy it.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Coming from a guy that's a huge fan of the overrated shit band Radiohead.
    I'm not sticking up for Radiohead, but dude. Hawker. Oasis.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey
    season 5 is the weakest, season 2 is underrated, I hated it at first but it's deep breh
    Agreed. The thing that makes Season 2 difficult for people is that it introduces so many new characters and deviates from the street aspect. However, The Wire was never about following a specific narrative every season. It was about showing every aspect of the War on Drugs and just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Getting the drugs into the country is a major part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I've been waiting to watch this show for years. The hype around this around the inter webs had me salivating. ....

To be honest/fair I just saw the first season, and I'm really not anxious to begin season 2. Game of Thrones immediately grabbed me, the quality stood out from the get go.

you're being short sighted.

whether or not you're into it, the Wire can NOT be evaluated after one fukcing chapter. it's an epic story. it's not episodic.

although since i couldn't have summed it up much better than this review, read this:

[QUOTE]
    [I]

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    I'm not sticking up for Radiohead, but dude. Hawker. Oasis.
    Repped!

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Reading some of the replies here basically reaffirms my main point which most either ignored or simply didn't want to get.... "It's overrated!!!".

I am humored by the personal attacks and strawman attempts tho. I discovered things about me that I never knew before such as:

Beatles are my fav artist, something I never knew! I always thought that they were a one of my fav artists but not my fav of all time.

That apparently I am a Friends fan. I guess those 4 episodes that I forced myself to watch makes me a fan!!

I learned that admiring and respecting Radiohead makes my opinion on anything moot. I did not know this makes me a retard.

I also didn't know that enjoying Game of Thrones made it my fav current show. That's a revelation that I am happy to know about.

Who would've known that preferring BB over Wire made you a tool that is too dumb to understand anything that needs an IQ higher than that of a toddler.

All this time I thought shows such as Sopranos, OZ and even some network shows touched on many of these similar themes. I guess movies have also never been made that have pieces of characters, plot lines like the Wire.

At the end I guess saying a show is good isn't enough. Not only does it have to be the best crime drama show of all time, it has to be THE best show of all time!!! If you don't agree then you're no better than a Friends loving-Adam Sadler movie watching-low IQ idiot.