Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Default Re: Gender inequality when it comes to reproductive rights

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    It's a lot easier to not fvk you then a rich famous professional athlete

...no offense
    Ain't that the truth. If you want somebody with you at your ultra sound than I wouldn't suggest banging a famous athlete tho.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Like you would say no in the same situation

Well maybe you would I don't know you, but most people would fvk arian foster

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    You aren't blaming the man here?

Or here?

That picture you posted was to show agreement for another post blaming Foster.
    Are you literate? Nowhere do you show me saying the woman has no responsibility. Just because I am pointing out that a man is responsible for what he does doesn't mean I'm saying a woman isn't. I don't know what's so hard for you to understand.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The OP has a major problem with people actually having to be responsible for their own behavior.
    No, I have a problem with blatant discrimination and double standards under the law.

I fully support the right of a woman to choose. Never once in my life have I denied a woman the right to choose. The Choice of whether to abort the fetus or not should be completely up to the woman.

However no person should be able to unilaterally take money from another person.

Further there's a difference between the choice of abortion and the choice of when to become apparent. There are several reasons for our society allowing for Safehaven laws. Women are allowed to choose when to become a parent because this is what's best for them and for the child.

Becoming a parent before you are ready limits you ability to complete an education, future employment prospects and financial prosperity. More importantly the child is greatly handicapped if it's parents aren't prepared or don't want it.

We allow women to abandon an unwanted child through the adoption process because it is best for the child to be raised by parents who want it and are prepared. Men should be given the same choice.

Many of you are overestimating how many men would choose to not be fathers. Most men look forward to being fathers. I know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    It's so funny to me how Arian Foster luvs to portray this image of being the high brow, intellectual, 'deep' athlete then goes and pulls a typical meathead pregnancy scandal.

I don't feel bad about him having to pay a shit load of money for his indiscretion. Most all athletes cheat and shit so that part isn't irregular but IMO you deserve to lose some of your money if you continue the sex somewhat regularly and presumably don't even go the extra mile to prevent pregnancy. Still possible the child isn't his though.

I see what you're saying but I'm not gunna cry injustice for a guy who initiated an affair at TRAINING CAMP of all places (bad timing on his part) and went to extra efforts to continue the fcking in different time zones and make it regular. Maybe this chick was looking to get pregnant but he's not absolved from having to answer the bell when Child Support comes knockin at his door. If this chick is gunna carry his seed for 9 months and seemingly be a single mom, he doesn't deserve to have the matter swept under the rug for his own convenience.
    Foster is irrelevant. My point is the double standard/inequality under the law.
    Further, this may be the cynic in me but I don't believe she would have chosen to not take birth control or keep the kid if foster was poor.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    If he can prove via paternity test that the child is not his he has no responsibility for the child

And yes women are responsible, they're the one that will be taking care of the child the next 16 plus years
    you are obviously not familiar with how strictly child support is enforced or how hard it is to get it adjusted. There are tons do dudes forced to pay child support for kids proven by DNA tests are not biologically theirs.

I rule the local playground

[QUOTE=Jchild support for the rich is borderline extortion and it should be capped. there is no way child support should be enough for people to live an extravagant life off of it.[/QUOTE]

IMO the only problem with the child support system is that even if the man wants to be involved with the kid the mother can tell him no and take his money anyway. Guys should only have to pay if they choose not to be involved.

And the idiotic, amoral, and utterly futile crusade continues.

Pick one.
    id rather pull out, regardless how hard it is sometimes

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

And the idiotic, amoral, and utterly futile crusade continues.

Pick one.

Kinda don't have sympathy for the dude, he knows that there are women out there waiting to get paid and he still banged her without the rubber.

History lessons are lost so he becomes yet another sucker, gonna be paying for a long time to come.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

If feminists argue that it's her body and that men should have no choice in the matter, then they shouldn't cry about men not paying child support.

Feminists drive the wedge between men and women.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    id rather pull out, regardless how hard it is sometimes
    Surprisingly good at preventing conception, but obviously useless against STDs. Wrap it before you tap it fellas.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Women want to be equal, make all laws equal. She wants a divorce but can still get money and child support? get the f*ck outta here

I've had this argument before and there are a few logical fallacies in it that makes it seem like it sounds reasonable when it's really not

1. Responsibility.

First, the assumption the man has the right to choose whether or not to keep the baby is a misconception. He doesn't have a right purely because it is a woman's body. She does whatever she wants with it. If she wants to have a kid, it is her right to do so. Mavs thinks the choice of an abortion should not be entirely up to the woman. This is an incredibly faulty line of thinking. Since it is her body, she should have the choice. The man is not carrying the baby; it is not his body, thus he cannot dictate what happens to the baby. Now whether or not he should be forced to pay child support is an entirely different argument, so let's stick with Mavs argument the man should have the right to decide what a woman does with her body.

2. It is her body.

The body argument is pretty clear cut. What you do with your body is entirely up to you. The idea someone else can dictate what you do with it is incredibly absurd and should not be taken seriously.

3. If a man is not ready to have a child, then he should have a choice whether or not to keep the baby.

We've already established it is her body, and by definition, we can all agree the man has no choice in this matter, so you can see the contradiction based on the definition of "choice." The only choice he could of made is to not wear a condom; saying that he should have a choice for an abortion is a fallacious argument because it contradicts the rights of the woman's body.

Mavs has failed to define what "choice" truly is, thus his entire argument is incredibly flawed.
    Last edited by IamRAMBO24; 01-16-2014 at 09:37 AM.

This discussion is probably 20-30 years too early. Are we really going to expect men to have the option of avoiding financial responsibility for a child in a society where women are just now starting to close the wage gap? The law is something that evolves over time and changing the philosophy behind parental responsibility is going to take forever.

The fact of the matter is that we live in a society that was overwhelmingly male dominated (and still is to some degree). Social norms dictating high standard of male responsibility before the law is a result of hundreds of years of sociological factors.

And I doubt it ever changes tbh. There is a distinction between abortion and abandonment because an abortion is the end of the situation while abandonment has pretty dramatic affects in the long-term. If the father walks away, then there is still a child to raise who now lives in a single parent family.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    This discussion is probably 20-30 years too early. Are we really going to expect men to have the option of avoiding financial responsibility for a child in a society where women are just now starting to close the wage gap? The law is something that evolves over time and changing the philosophy behind parental responsibility is going to take forever.

The fact of the matter is that we live in a society that was overwhelmingly male dominated (and still is to some degree). Social norms dictating high standard of male responsibility before the law is a result of hundreds of years of sociological factors.

And I doubt it ever changes tbh. There is a distinction between abortion and abandonment because an abortion is the end of the situation while abandonment has pretty dramatic affects in the long-term. If the father walks away, then there is still a child to raise who now lives in a single parent family.
    Id have to disagree to an extent. Theres inequality on both sides. This particular topic is drastically favorable to women.

Inequalities that favor men are wages (like you stated) and that gap is closing. Sex is another inequality that favors men. The more women a man beds, the more hes respected. On the flip side, women who are promiscuous are looked at as scum (whores).

An inequality that favors women is spousal abuse. A woman can and has been able to attack her mate with little to no recourse. If a man does it, hes looked at as lower than life. What if Tiger Woods was the one bashing out his wifes cars windows with a golf club and chasing her with the intent to do harm?

Back to the topic. While I agree that the woman ultimately has the right now to chose what happens to her body. I feel she gives up that right when she opens her legs and allows a man to impregnate her. That child is just as much a part of that man as it is the woman. Similarly, if a man does not want a child, its his job to take the proper precautions if and when he decides to have sex with a woman. I have no sympathy for men that blame women for pregnancy by saying such things as "you told me you were on the pill".

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan

Foster is irrelevant. My point is the double standard/inequality under the law.
    Further, this may be the cynic in me but I don't believe she would have chosen to not take birth control or keep the kid if foster was poor.
    Well then the example you chose to illustrate your feelings of injustice is a poor one. If you want to make some political equality thread when it comes to genders and the rest of society's ability for men to have a more active role in the decision process, chose an everyday story of regular people to better illustrate your point.

Situations like this are fluid with many many dynamics as to how and prescribe the 'right' or 'moral' course of action. Just as you wish for the avoidance of a woman having get the father's future income unilaterally, there are also circumstances where men make a mistake or even several, have no desire or sacrifice to provide their estranged children basic needs and financial support.

Women are basically unable to work proper hours for sole support from the time they are very pregnant to quite a bit of time after the baby is born. It's not right to expect a single mom to go work full time 3-4 months after the infant is born. New babies need a lot of care and the other options simply aren't adequate.

Trying to establish full fledged, set in stone guidelines and proper protocol for these cases is naive and ignorant. As far as the abortion option, many women don't see that as a possibility, regardless of their personal level of security. Once their bodies are the ones compromised and they are willing to incubate an imminent life, most (including family and outside parties) will fight for sort of sacrifice from the other willing party, in that case men.... and a portion of their paychecks.
    Last edited by ROCSteady; 01-16-2014 at 12:36 PM.