Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

BlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBlueandGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: This Laker team has all the pieces it needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranku
Yeah, the more I started thinking about the future rather than the current year/potential 3-peat, the more sense the trade made. Kobe isn't getting any younger, and once he goes, who will we have to replace him? Artest and Fisher aren't getting younger either, and they'll like leave with Kobe or shortly after.

That leaves us with Blake (who very may well leave/retire as well), Ebanks, Shannon, Caracter, and Walton (again, not getting any younger). We literally have no backcourt youth aside of a few roleplayers. The addition of Melo fixes that. He gives us another franchise wing player for when Kobe leaves/declines to a point where he can longer be the #1 option.

Gasol is also aging, but because his game is largely based on finesse I can see him being effective for a few years (at least) longer than Kobe. A Melo/Gasol duo could keep us contending for 4 or 5 years longer than if we just kept Bynum. I love Bynum, and his potential is through the roof, but the reality is that he just won't become as good or impactful as Carmelo would be with Gasol. A Gasol/Bynum led team is a first or second round at best unless they acquired another all-star wing. A Melo/Gasol duo, however, could likely contend with just a few acquisitions of role players/defenders.

The only part that worries me is how an aging Kobe would play alongside a prime Melo. Because who knows how long Kobe will stay in the league? Would he be comfortable deferring to Melo and accepting his role as a more off the ball player?

Personally, I think the risk there is lower than Bynum's injury risk, but that's just me.

Like I just stated, the point is to go for it all this year, and this year only. I would never do anything drastic with a proven two-time championship, at least not until their window is shown to be up. Remember when the Lakers made the finals in 91? Well Dr.Buss didn't blow that team up until 98, when he traded Divac for Kobe. You never know what's going to happen with player projections, it's nearly impossible to predict the future. The only way that teams are able to win championships is to focus on this current year, and this current year only.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: